How am I going to get through the next week....??

lara24

OMG, I am sitting here in floods of tears having dropped my eldest off at nursery for the last time. He has gone there for 3 years and I don't know when or if I am going to get a Kindy place for him when we move. He is such a sociable little boy I hope he can cope with the loneliness for the next few months.......

We have 2 leaving parties this weekend (Nothing flash we are a pretty private family) and everyone I meet during the next week will be a final goodbye.

I am an only child and I know my parents are devastated but trying to put on a brave face - I just feel like such a selfish cow for leaving:sad:

Guest Ptp113
OMG, I am sitting here in floods of tears having dropped my eldest off at nursery for the last time. He has gone there for 3 years and I don't know when or if I am going to get a Kindy place for him when we move. He is such a sociable little boy I hope he can cope with the loneliness for the next few months.......

We have 2 leaving parties this weekend (Nothing flash we are a pretty private family) and everyone I meet during the next week will be a final goodbye.

I am an only child and I know my parents are devastated but trying to put on a brave face - I just feel like such a selfish cow for leaving:sad:

If you don't change your outlook you'll be lucky to last 3 months in Oz, if that

Thanks guys, I have been so relaxed the last few weeks it just seems to have hit me hard today. I am sure most people are the same, just need to get through the next week. Kleenex will do a raring trade from me....lol

Firstly big :hug:

I know most people (if not all) go through what your going through right now. Saying goodbye to everyone is the worst feeling ever. Just try to remember why your doing this. Your little boy will love it here. We find it so much more sociable here, cant walk anywhere without someone stopping us for a chat :-) even if you don't manage to find a placement for him immediately there are loads of clubs for little ones and having lovely weather ( been 26 here today in melbourne, and its autumn!!) means you can get out and about daily. We picked the children up, and went for a lovely walk along the beach today watching the pelicans :-)

with the Internet, skype, Facebook etc you can keep in touch regularly with family and friends. It really isn't as bad as your expecting I promise. Just think of the life your heading for and smile :biggrin:

All very usual and understandable feelings. Millions have gone through this before you and survived :0) as somebody said keep thinking of why you are doing this, look on it as an adventure . . . . . .

of course your boy won't be lonely, he will still have you and the excitement of the move, you can take him to playgrounds and play centres to play with other children.

where are you moving to? Maybe you could research what is available or ask on here if anyone knows what child are options are available?

just keep taking deep breaths and know that there is an end to how you are feeling and a new life waiting for you :0))

good luck with your move:wubclub:

Oh poor you, I can remember it well all those conflicting emotions when the time comes to go. I'm sure that more than anything your parents are proud of you for doing this and probs looking forward to nice holidays with you! I know my mum comes every year! Also make sure they have iPad or something for FaceTime! We use that a lot it's brilliant and runs off our massive Internet allowance instead of massive phone bills lol. Enjoy it, it's an adventure, nobody is dying (things i kept telling myself when I was going through what you are!) and you can always go back if missing home gets too much!! Good luck hunny!

I think most of us had the same selfish feelings and i also think its quite natural.. IMO the last few weeks when you have to say Goodbye to people is horrendous,, my family were not a 'lovey dovey' type family but OMG that last hug with my Dad and my brother honestly broke my heart. I think i cried all the way to the airport but you have to keep thinking of the reasons you are moving in the first place and once here keep busy as the first few months are tough too..

As for Kindys, if you can't get your child in straight away i found their are lots of activities around for toddlers, from story time at the local Library to play in the park organised by the council.

Big hugs and lots of luck with everything

​ Cal x

The only time I was in floods of tears was when my husband was considering an unbelievable job offer back in the UK lol Luckily for me, he turned it down :)

Seriously though, what you are feeling is very normal!! Your little one is at a great age for adapting and also for helping you to meet new people too. As mentioned above, emails, Skype and Facebook are great for keeping in touch... You're from the Granite City, you're made of strong stuff Quine ;) x

Thanks everyone, I have lots of plans for activities for the kids but can't really put anything in place until I know where we will be and what days if any we will have kindy. I know it will get better, just didn't realise it would be this hard first........good job youngest is asleep and hubby is at work as I can't stop crying - oh what a disaster I am!!

All those tears show that you are a sensitive caring human being- and I am sure you wil be fine once you get here and get busy sorting out your lives. I think it is good to emigrate with little kids because you make friends quickly with other mums. Sure you will have your moments in the early days- everyone does- but you will find the place has so much to offer and your kids will make friends in no time flat!

Don't feel bad about being upset. Its a stage you have to go through. You are grieving for everything you have done and achieved. Don't worry if these feelings don't go away in an instant. Allow today to be there day, you think about what you do have and what you have achieved, to have so much that means a lot to you shows how successful you and your husband have been. Then, start to consider that if you have achieved that here you are perfectly capable of doing the same thing somewhere else. It may take a while to adapt and to settle but this is part of life's adventures. Something you and your husband need to do whilst you have the opportunity. Your little boy will be happy to have you by his side. Everything else is just 'extra'! My 2 eldest never went to nursery and they are the most sociable children I've ever known. My youngest goes to nursery and is really shy outside of his nursery environment. Holidays are important to a child's development and this is what it will feel like for a good few months at least. It gives you time to bond as a family again.

Maybe try and see if there is anyone you can meet up with near your arrival airport within your first week, someone with a child and you can share experiences.

I wish you well, I am sure you will be just fine. Emotions are a normal part of being human - don't feel ashamed!

Sending you a big :hug:

It is very natural. I have read of lots of PIO members who have gone through similar feelings and experiences.

I am an only child too and I feel so guilty about leaving my Wrinklies, but they and I keep saying what a fantastic opportunity it is for us and know how much stress we have had to get to this point so cannot really wait for us to go.

Try not to think of it as goodbye, but see you soon.

I don't have kids, but have two dogs. I cannot tell you the amount of times I chat to people with dogs as there is a common interest and you strike up a bond. This will be exactly the same with your little ones in the parks and wherever you take them. My friends who have children always say it is easier to make friends and chat to people when you have kids.

Good Luck.

Archived