Moving to oz, but in debt and got a house rented privately

smurf1478

I don't have debts, have never owed more on a credit card than I could pay in one month. I'm mega anal about money. I have however had a mortgage. Being anal I hugely over paid it, but I know it would only take a couple of things to go wrong for it to be very hard to get out of it.

For example, I bought my car less than six months ago. $16k. Paid outright. A couple of weeks ago I found out my chassis was cracked! Luckily my insurance company is covering it (with a $900 excess), but that was very lucky, and wasn't a guarantee. Had the insurance not covered it I would have had a near $3000 bill to even make my car road worthy. So that for most people could be $3k on a credit card, more for a hire car for three weeks (well you have to get to work). It only takes something like that coming along, and then loosing your job etc and you can be stuffed, no matter how good you are with money.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Rossmoyne,

I have always been good with money, must just choose the right woman i surpose, but i will get new life and who knows what will happen when i get to oz, this isn't a knee term reaction either went to oz in 2006/07 to watch the ashes and knew from then i wanted to live there, only ex partner's has stopped me up until now

Cheers Rossmoyne,

I have always been good with money, must just choose the right woman i surpose, but i will get new life and who knows what will happen when i get to oz, this isn't a knee term reaction either went to oz in 2006/07 to watch the ashes and knew from then i wanted to live there, only ex partner's has stopped me up until now

Hope it goes well for you Smurf.... Sometimes getting out of sour relatationship stuff can be like climbing a mountain... been there done that.... but keep a positive attitude and you will be OK.

Be aware though that the economy of Oz in 2007 is very different from now. Hope it works for you.

Cheers Rossmoyne,

Must admit I was a bit like Rossmoyne and ready to have a go about you considering walking away from your debts in the UK. Don't! Unless you do it legitimately I.e declare bankruptcy.

I now understand why you've got yourself into that mess. My brother married the wrong girl and although they were together only 2 years (married 1) and no kids, she walked away with over £20k, and that was 10 years ago, leaving my brother with nothing except the house (which was worth less than they paid for it) and his pension. Seems completely wrong as she barely contributed to the household. My brother cleaned and cooked for her and she just bummed around whilst having an affair. She completely took him for a ride.

Things will come good for you. They have for my brother. Good luck in Oz!

Lou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some helpful advice possibly.....give CCCS a ring - charitable organisation to manage debt.

We are in a similar boat to you but we sold our house, still have lots of debt left over.

We went to CAB first and got some atrocious info from them - one chap just said forget about the debt and just move!!!CAB indeed!!

We didn't qualify for a debt relief order (similar to bankruptcy but for under £15,000) our debts are just over this.

We have set up a debt management plan through CCCS and they have been brilliant. They write to the credit card companies and get them to freeze interest on cards (though not all are willing, but most did) and they negotiate a repayment amount that is comfortable for you by taking into consideration your monthly outgoings and your wages etc.

They are very knowledgeable people at CCCS and it is all done over the phone, you just have to email or post proof of wages to them and they sort the rest.

Nobody likes to have debt hanging over them and the sooner you get sorted the sooner you can start again.

We didn't want to burn our bridges in case we want to return to uk in the future. This was the best option for us but give them a ring, they are free, take no money from you what so ever and they know their stuff.

Some helpful advice possibly.....give CCCS a ring - charitable organisation to manage debt.

We are in a similar boat to you but we sold our house, still have lots of debt left over.

We went to CAB first and got some atrocious info from them - one chap just said forget about the debt and just move!!!CAB indeed!!

We didn't qualify for a debt relief order (similar to bankruptcy but for under £15,000) our debts are just over this.

We have set up a debt management plan through CCCS and they have been brilliant. They write to the credit card companies and get them to freeze interest on cards (though not all are willing, but most did) and they negotiate a repayment amount that is comfortable for you by taking into consideration your monthly outgoings and your wages etc.

They are very knowledgeable people at CCCS and it is all done over the phone, you just have to email or post proof of wages to them and they sort the rest.

Nobody likes to have debt hanging over them and the sooner you get sorted the sooner you can start again.

We didn't want to burn our bridges in case we want to return to uk in the future. This was the best option for us but give them a ring, they are free, take no money from you what so ever and they know their stuff.

Good advice.... didnt know about this until now... thank you for posting this as I am sure there are people who need to know about this option.

You are in debt because you have lived beyond your means. If you don't acknowledge that you are just going to do it again.

Im sure the op already knows they have lived beyond their means and that's why they are in debt.... No one know the circumstances it could have been an emergency i.e. car trouble, boiler broken down etc that they put on their card as a short term thing then lost their job and so on.... People who have been in debt will know once you go behind even a little and are struggling it is near impossible to get straight again so it's not for us to judge really its to try and help with info even if they want to DO A RUNNER it's up to them.... And to all of you who have commented on this who have NEVER been in debt then you REALLY have no idea what you are talking about.... I have seen some really good people get behind with their mortgage and bills after being finished from their jobs and they have never got back straight again.... Sometimes it's not just spend spend spend that gets people in trouble it can be a run of bad luck and circumstances that do it.... And that feeling of drowning in debt with no foreseeable way out of it can be very suffocating....

Im sure the op already knows they have lived beyond their means and that's why they are in debt.... No one know the circumstances it could have been an emergency i.e. car trouble, boiler broken down etc that they put on their card as a short term thing then lost their job and so on.... People who have been in debt will know once you go behind even a little and are struggling it is near impossible to get straight again so it's not for us to judge really its to try and help with info even if they want to DO A RUNNER it's up to them.... And to all of you who have commented on this who have NEVER been in debt then you REALLY have no idea what you are talking about.... I have seen some really good people get behind with their mortgage and bills after being finished from their jobs and they have never got back straight again.... Sometimes it's not just spend spend spend that gets people in trouble it can be a run of bad luck and circumstances that do it.... And that feeling of drowning in debt with no foreseeable way out of it can be very suffocating....

Agree with many of your comments as circumstances and life can often go against you and debt just accummulates.... been there and paid it off. People who just run up debt and discard it with bankruptcy or leaving the country to avoid paying just make it worse for everyone else. I totally agree that people who avoid their debt brought about by knowingly overspending, need to be hung drawn and quartered (Metophorically), but the OP had exceptional circumstances and didn't want to initially post them...read through the thread and you will see that he is facing up to his problem that was not of his making. Gotta be proud of someone who does that and doesnt pull the bankruptcy thing I reckon...