Moving to oz, but in debt and got a house rented privately

smurf1478

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you don't have to explain why you have the debt but surely you're not surprised by the replies you have got??????I've never been in debt because I live within my means.Not sure what reason is good enough tbh to be in debt?I'm 52 now,been through loads in my life,but nope no debts!I just get a little bit p***** off by posters (and there's been many)asking if they can get away with leaving all behind!How about facing your responsibilities?Have you considered staying put until they are paid off???

If only your negative comments really know why i am in debt, i dont need to tell anyone i have got nothing to prove, i have been given a second chance and this is why i have posted this post.

You are in debt because you have lived beyond your means. If you don't acknowledge that you are just going to do it again.

You are in debt because you have lived beyond your means. If you don't acknowledge that you are just going to do it again.

You sound like a sensible person Rupert!One thing my Dad taught me was good money managing skills!And I've taught my kids the same and none of us are in debt!Please parents.....Do your kids a favour and teach them the value of money!:cute:

It doesn't really matter why you are in debt when push comes to shove. Simply put, if you expected not to get some stick for asking on here then you should have read the stick going on in other, less contentious threads before posting. Whether you like the tone of the replies or not it simply comes down to the fact, as already stated, that if you leave the debt unserviced you will end up with liens being taken against your property because they have that link to you. If ignored further you could end up losing the property in its entirety. Common decency probably would say sort it before you run away from it, but the fact you even considering running at all suggests otherwise.

Edited by Obi Wan Kenobi

If only your negative comments really know why i am in debt, i dont need to tell anyone i have got nothing to prove, i have been given a second chance and this is why i have posted this post.

I'm sorry but what did you expect? This thread shows your interest in skipping out on debt, your other thread asks if $70k / year is enough to live on as a single in Perth. I'd respect your motives a lot more if your question was 'how do I ensure I meet my debt commitments in the UK with my job offer in Australia' rather than asking how you can abandon your obligations.

You sound like a sensible person Rupert!One thing my Dad taught me was good money managing skills!And I've taught my kids the same and none of us are in debt!Please parents.....Do your kids a favour and teach them the value of money!:cute:

Yep I agree my Dad teached me, I've also never been in debt & I'm 36, I've always saved hard for everything I want & everyone that know me knows I'm good at it, it's behond me how people get in debt so easily. I teach my kids about saving & not getting in debt too

Just so you know, i have sorted out my debt so that isnt a concern anymore, hence why i ask the question about is $70,000 enough for somebody to live on, as i dont want to get myself into trouble when i am in oz

6 days later you've sorted the debt out?? ok lol that was quick!!, sounded like you wanted to do a runner, but now you've paid it off...

I know we don't know all the details of this case but can't a mod just close threads like this which are either just set up to wind people up or set up by people who quite frankly haven't got a clue and don't deserve the chance of emigrating

It's not part of our job description to say who deserves the chance to emigrate ... that's up to the immigration dept.

I for one have never beein in debt since the break up of my first marriage, other than to service a mortgage when I re-married. That said, and departing from the tone of the Op, which did seem, IMHO, as though he was seeking to skip debt, nobody really knows the circumstances. It's easy to say, "you are in debt because you live beyond your means, but I have known several people who managed their finances well, and had little debt, other than, same as me, a mortgage...................the financial consequences that a relationship break-up, can heap upon even the most "frugal of managers" can be devastating, and also, highly unfair.

Thanks johndoe,

Truth of the matter is i split up and it cost me 25,000 English pounds to buy her out, which i have managed to get it down to 10,000 which I have borrowed from my parents interest free and i will pay them when i sell my house, but i have been given great opportunity which i cannot turn down, so i needed to look at every way to try and sort myself out.

Thanks johndoe,

Truth of the matter is i split up and it cost me 25,000 English pounds to buy her out,

I was guessing that way. I know of 2 blokes who had to do the same where they were given bum valuations................bought out the ex's and then found that they were in negative equity.

Negative equity is not always a bad thing Thanks to it I was able to keep my house back in the early 90's when I split with my Ex. I would not of been able to buy him out but as there was no value in the house the judge signed it over to me. I managed (just) to pay the mortgage on my own.

There is a little bit if equity in the house now i have made some payments, but i don't want to sell the house straight away just incase i don't settle in oz, (hopefully that won't be the case) and if i do know it is right for i will probably sell the house after 2 years or so.

i think we could be related

I left the UK with 10k debt, it wasn't planned - we used credit cards to pay for flights and shipping and other moving expenses under the impression that it would recompensed by my OH's employer. On arrival they said it would be paid after he had completed two years service! Lots of horrible things happened to us and we were sinking further into debt (I get very annoyed at those people who say 'live within your means' - life can throw some very cruel blows and I think it is very arrogant to assume you are immune) I cannot lie I did consider briefly whether to default on the UK credit cards and hand back the keys to the UK house (we had negative equity anyway). We did somehow manage to pull through (even though the debt escalated) and here I am going back to the UK with a house to live in and a pretty clear credit history so very relieved we 'did the right thing'.

I left the UK with 10k debt, it wasn't planned - we used credit cards to pay for flights and shipping and other moving expenses under the impression that it would recompensed by my OH's employer. On arrival they said it would be paid after he had completed two years service! Lots of horrible things happened to us and we were sinking further into debt (I get very annoyed at those people who say 'live within your means' - life can throw some very cruel blows and I think it is very arrogant to assume you are immune) I cannot lie I did consider briefly whether to default on the UK credit cards and hand back the keys to the UK house (we had negative equity anyway). We did somehow manage to pull through (even though the debt escalated) and here I am going back to the UK with a house to live in and a pretty clear credit history so very relieved we 'did the right thing'.

Couldn't you have sold your UK house though Jules and cleared the debts off and had a bit to have a better life over here?

Couldn't you have sold your UK house though Jules and cleared the debts off and had a bit to have a better life over here?

You've asked me that before Paul - read my post (no agression intended!) it had negative equity!! The full story is a little complicated, it was a part exchange deal on our family home that we did sell so we could have a good life in Oz. Alls well that ends well though - we got a good price for our house here which will clear all our debt and leave a little left over. We are going back with less than we came but the life lessons have been invaluable so no regrets and who knows how the recession would have hit us had we stayed in the UK. The houses like we sold are now selling for 15k less (same house, same estate) so effectively we'd have been worse off if we'd stayed anyway. Perth has been good for my career too (big fish, small pond!).

Who knows we might even come back someday - dual nationality and nothing to run from in either country, that's a great peace of mind.

You've asked me that before Paul - read my post (no agression intended!) it had negative equity!! The full story is a little complicated, it was a part exchange deal on our family home that we did sell so we could have a good life in Oz. Alls well that ends well though - we got a good price for our house here which will clear all our debt and leave a little left over. We are going back with less than we came but the life lessons have been invaluable so no regrets and who knows how the recession would have hit us had we stayed in the UK. The houses like we sold are now selling for 15k less (same house, same estate) so effectively we'd have been worse off if we'd stayed anyway. Perth has been good for my career too (big fish, small pond!).

Who knows we might even come back someday - dual nationality and nothing to run from in either country, that's a great peace of mind.

Sorry Jules, should have read it better. You're right, who knows what might have happened in the UK, it's all good experience to put on your resume.

Thanks johndoe,

Truth of the matter is i split up and it cost me 25,000 English pounds to buy her out, which i have managed to get it down to 10,000 which I have borrowed from my parents interest free and i will pay them when i sell my house, but i have been given great opportunity which i cannot turn down, so i needed to look at every way to try and sort myself out.

Smurf when you first posted, I thought, "here we go another loser trying to dodge his debts.... some people just have no honour and decency these days" - and I held back from posting because what I said would have been extremely caustic. People who think it is great fun and ok to walk away from debts they have incurred, are the worse kind of people in my view. Been on the receiving end of such a situation so it colours my view somewhat!

So thanks for being honest and telling your situation as it is - I hope it works out for you financially and careerwise.