You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

I met my partner in 2009 ago in Perth, we worked together for 4 months and we became good friends. I then left and went home to UK and we were online friends for 3 years we sent mail and spoke on Skype regularly. In 2012 in the Feb I flew back to permit to see him as I knew I had feelings for him. We had a two week holiday and decided we want to be together and had to find a way. So I went home to UK after my holiday and he saved up and moved to the UK in September 2012 to live with me. We have been living in the UK for 9 months and we are now planning to apply this September for the spouse visa...... But I am freaking out because I do not know where to start. I can't get my head around it and I've never wanted anything more in my whole life its so scary and I don't want to get it wrong and lose out. Can someone give me some steps to start me on the right track? :-) we have a joint bank account, we have been a couple holidays together and we have long Facebook chat conversations going back 4 years... We have photos and letters sent to each other. He is an Australian citizen by birth and has a house that he owns for us to live in when we get to WA. I have a uni degree but no specific skill. He has met my family hundreds of times, I have met his father once and his sister a couple times. For the statuary declarations I worry that we don't have many strong ones in aus... We have had our relationship mostly in the UK. anyway.... Sorry if I'm blabbing on but I don't know where to start or what is actually relevant. Hilz :-)

Ta da. Read this, it's a detail guide. If you're looking at a defacto visa, you will need evidence showing you've lived together for the past 12 months.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

309/100 visa lodged 04/02/2013, living in Aus since 01/07/2013, visa granted 02/09/2013!

Guest GeorgeD
I met my partner in 2009 ago in Perth, we worked together for 4 months and we became good friends. I then left and went home to UK and we were online friends for 3 years we sent mail and spoke on Skype regularly. In 2012 in the Feb I flew back to permit to see him as I knew I had feelings for him. We had a two week holiday and decided we want to be together and had to find a way. So I went home to UK after my holiday and he saved up and moved to the UK in September 2012 to live with me. We have been living in the UK for 9 months and we are now planning to apply this September for the spouse visa...... But I am freaking out because I do not know where to start. I can't get my head around it and I've never wanted anything more in my whole life its so scary and I don't want to get it wrong and lose out. Can someone give me some steps to start me on the right track? :-) we have a joint bank account, we have been a couple holidays together and we have long Facebook chat conversations going back 4 years... We have photos and letters sent to each other. He is an Australian citizen by birth and has a house that he owns for us to live in when we get to WA. I have a uni degree but no specific skill. He has met my family hundreds of times, I have met his father once and his sister a couple times. For the statuary declarations I worry that we don't have many strong ones in aus... We have had our relationship mostly in the UK. anyway.... Sorry if I'm blabbing on but I don't know where to start or what is actually relevant. Hilz :-)

...and relax!

First thing...forget your skills. They are irrelevant. Your eligiblity for the spouse visa is based on your relationship, not your skills. You could be a brain surgeon or illiterate and never worked a day in your life...it makes no difference for the spouse visa,

You don't need to have lived together for 12 months. You need to prove you have been in a defacto relationship for 12 months. You can have spent time apart as long as it was temporary...for example, if he went back to Oz to visit family, etc.

Don't worry about the Statutory declarations for now...will you have evidence of your relationship for at least 12 months prior to applying? Do you have any joint bills/accounts? Or even bills in individual names to the same address? Do you have wills? If you don't...get them done, that's what married people do and you are essentially saying you are living like a married couple. Are you on each others car insurance? Are you listed as beneficiaries for pensions/life assurance? Are you listed as next of kin with employers? Doctors/dentists/etc? There is lots of evidence you can get which proves you are a genuine couple. And then come the Stat Decs. If you have plenty of evidence then your Stat Decs aren't so important...does his father know you live together? Would he write a Stat Dec saying he has met you once and sees you as a defacto couple? He doesn't need to write War and Peace. You don't get extra points for length and literary style...he just needs to say he knows you as a couple and how long you've been together...You've got all that evidence anyway...he's just confirming it's true. To be fair, he doesn't need to write anything. Your partner's sister can do it. People in the UK can do it! Why didn't his father or sister write them...you and he are both in the Uk so it was easier to get your friends and family in the country you have both lived in for the last year to write them seeing as they are the people closest to you on a day to day basis.

Forget Facebook/Skype/Phonebills, etc. Do you have 'official' documents from a government/utility/financial institution/healthcare provider to both/either of you for the last 12 months? I've been a facebook friend and have various conversations with several guys I used to work with in the UK for the last few years. This doesn't mean I have been in a relationship with them for that time...but I haven't had a Joint Bank account with any of them...which piece of evidence do you think proves a relationship better? Remember you need 12 months relationship for the 309 Temp Spouse Visa, and 3 years for the 100 Permanent Spouse Visa. If you don't have 3 years evidence of a defacto relationship, concentrate on getting 12 months of concrete evidence before you apply. That way you'll nail the 309 and the get the 100 two years after your original application.

I remember that stress! we printed the handbook off and put it in a folder and then worked through it one section at a time, i.e found all the finance evidence, social evidence, statements from friends ect. doing it one step at a time and breaking it down makes it so much more managable. and don't be affraid to call up the embassy to ask for any help they are fantastic.

for evidence of on going relationship and living together don't forget your council tax bills, car insurance ( if your named drivers) recipiets paid for by the other i.e i damaged my car and my husband paid for it. once you start looking you will find lots of evidence- just break it down into managable steps.

My mistake, I thought you were looking at defacto, not spousal. In that case you don't need to have lived together for 12 months.

I would look at the evidence list in the booklet; it lists specific stuff you need to submit. Be sure not to overload it; remember they just need to verify on dates, addresses, and evidence that you've both paid for stuff like bills and rent, etc. You don't need to swamp the application with ten of everything. I think I gave a few bank statements and a few address samples as our evidence of living together and financial, as we are staying at my mum's whilst saving to go to Aus. She wrote a statement to confirm this.

Stat decs are easier as they're a form to fill out, asking for just a few examples, instead of a statement. Don't worry about friends; my husband and I are hermits and don't have any! We didn't have any evidence that we were socially acceptable, we had his parents stat decs, and we just put in our statements that we don't like going out to see people, we just like doing stuff alone or with our dogs. We added movie stubbs, train and plane tickets with our names on them to show we'd travelled together, etc. etc.

Remember that when you certify documents like birth certs and passports, you can only get them done by a solicitor, notorary public, magistrate, or justice of the peace.

309/100 visa lodged 04/02/2013, living in Aus since 01/07/2013, visa granted 02/09/2013!

Guest GeorgeD

Evidence is the key. Stat Decs fill in the social context of the evidence. If you didn't have any evidence then Stat Decs on their own aren't enough to prove your relationship is genuine. It's easy enough to work through and be methodical about it...the Partner Migration booklet mentioned previously should become your regular bedtime reading!

Thank you so much for being so helpful! Brilliant information. I am on it now. Been to the bank sang got bank statements and going to etiye my declaration. On also gathering all our recreational activities we have fond with tickets and stuff. I will use this website lots. X thanks

I'm not clear where I should ask a question, or whether it is appropriate or not. However, I am trying to find out if it is permissable to apply for a de facto (820) partner visa whilst I am in Australia on a tourist (e-visa) visa. I have entered and departed Australia on a number of occasions since January 2013. When in Australia I have lived with my (Australian born) partner. We have also travelled to the UK and Indonesia together. I have travelled to the UK on my own for a total of 8 weeks. I plan to leave and re-enter Australia next month, again using my tourist visa. Someone suggested that if I then apply for a de facto partner visa, I will, effectively, be committing fraud (as my tourist visa stipulates that it's intended purpose is to visit friends and family).

If this is correct, and I should avoid using my tourist e-visa, what alternative is available to me?

Thank you for your consideration.