Health visiting & School health on 457

Guest chrissy63

Guest chrissy63

We are going quite soon fingers crossed with house sale. I have 2 boys one of which is school age and the other who is 2 . Will they still have their checks in oz or will the fact i am on a 457 prevent this. Will i need to cover this on health insurance????. Will be taking out insurance for sure as they are both typical boys who get into all of the usual scrapes.

Thanks

OK, you mean what if they fall over and bump their elbows and it comes up in a bruise and you wonder if they need an xray - that sort of thing? Well because you are covered on the reciprocal health agreement because you are English, you can be seen by A & E and get xrays without any problems. If they happen to need grommets because of ear infections, that is elective surgery and though you can have surgery on medicare you will be waiting a while - like anyone else - and so private insurance may help you in that case. We dont have a great system of school based health checks. Around here there is a kindergarten screening and that is about it - I would think that the kids would be included in that. Bottom line is that if it is necessary medical intervention then they will be covered under the reciprocal arrangement.

Guest chrissy63

Thanks for that Quoll but was just really wondering wether little ones get the regular developmental check ups with health visitors and 22 month old will need mmr pre school jabs etc. I also understand that they will both need hep b if using schools and kindy???

Thanks for that Quoll but was just really wondering wether little ones get the regular developmental check ups with health visitors and 22 month old will need mmr pre school jabs etc. I also understand that they will both need hep b if using schools and kindy???

Regular developmental checks - not around here! I suspect all states are different but we dont have health visitors. Things have changed so much since my kids were little and some of the screens they used to do got dropped because of budget implications along the way. I think there are still clinics where you can go for jabs - I think as long as you have a medicare card you will be fine. I wish they would bring back at least the 3 year old check as a matter of course - we get so many more kids with developmental issues just rocking up to preschool at 4 with conditions that could have been treated much earlier! (Sorry, will get off hobby horse now).

Archived