Visa for disability support workers

BradNowell

I have a disabled daughter, and one of her support workers, who is absolutely brilliant with her in every respect, is in Oz as a de facto on a 457 visa and her partner now wants to "get her off his" visa. She loves her work and is keen to stay, and from my point of view I'm desperate for her to stay given the fantastic progress my daughter is making with her help.

Can anybody help with visa advice?

Edited by blossom
Moving to a thread of its own rather than on three year old thread.

Hi, you haven't mention which state you are in. Could help if someone is over east. WA is not big on sponsoring disability as they are ten a penny here, from what l have heard most become students of community services IV or diploma ( not sure which one) and then get a bridging visa until they get PR. whilst on the bridging visa it involves achieving the points system that you can find on the visa site etc. might be worth considering as an option.

I have a disabled daughter, and one of her support workers, who is absolutely brilliant with her in every respect, is in Oz as a de facto on a 457 visa and her partner now wants to "get her off his" visa. She loves her work and is keen to stay, and from my point of view I'm desperate for her to stay given the fantastic progress my daughter is making with her help.

May I suggest that your support worker should consult a registered migration agent for an assessment?

Thanks for all your input folks. Realitynotincluded, yes we're in WA unfortunately, but I'll pass on your message to my daughter's carer, Catriona - you never know it might help. TeeTMI, I have looked at the CSOL but there doesn't seem to be any job title close to "support worker" or "carer" or similar. We will take another look at it though. I note that you're a migration agent and would ask if you have a feel for the sponsorship approach in such a case as this. Catriona has seen an agent who wasn't much help, although whether this says more about the limited options available to her or the quality of the agent I'm not sure. For your information I have identified the Australian Community Workers Association (ACWA) as a possible source of advice.

​Thanks again everyone. Brad.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I have a friend who went as a 'disabilitiy services officer' which is the closest thing to a carer and is on the CSOL.

However it is very hard to go under any kind of carer role as they require a certificate 5 diploma and managery type experience which most UK carers don't have. Luckily my friend was a senior support worker and did assessments etc so was ok but they ask for a lot.

The roles she would be looking at are: disability services officer and residential care officer not sure who is sponsoring them but they both require a level 5 diploma. Hope this helps.

• 4 years later...