Sydney or London - which has more to offer on balance?? :)

scumptious

On 11/02/2020 at 20:42, NickyNook said:

The original post is nearly seven years old.

Why bother resurrecting it?  The OP probably decided where to live long ago.

I have just noticed this is an old link too. But it also popped up for me. Besides that, I am sure even now seven years later there will be someone struggling with the same question. 

4 hours ago, FatCat said:

Mmmm

To be honest, London and Sydney are so different on many levels, I am not sure you can really compare the two enough to come up with a satisfactory answer.

They both certainly have similar problems - overcrowding, traffic snarls, cost of parking and expensive houses.

I would say London has more of a social scene (theater, pubs, clubs), and Sydney has more of an outdoor lifestyle (beaches, sailing, picnics, walks) 

If you enjoy a beer whilst watching new bands, then London would be better choice.

If you enjoy outdoor pursuits, then Sydney would be a better choice.

I love the history and rituals of London (i.e.) the oldest pub is over 500 years old, and the ritual of having strawberries and cream at Wimbledon.

But I much prefer living near the beach and working in the city - hence Sydney would be my choice 

I have only experienced living in Sydney and I sometimes wished that I had moved to London for a year or two to experience life in Gotham before I came to OZ. To be fair, I was not intending to come to Sydney, Perth being my preferred destination.

I imagine that people in "international" occupations - banking, broking, finance - would move fairly seamlessly between London, Sydney, HK, New York? Perhaps? Perhaps not?

It might be nice to live in London, get a season ticket to Spurs (if possible), travel down to the New Forest at weekends. Probably left it too late.