May 190 Visa Lodge Gang

Ishaan

Hi all,

I am waiting for CO. One of the documents I need to submit is my wife's IELTS. However, she haven't taken the test and wants to have more time to prepare for it. From previous posts, it seems that once a CO is allocated, he will request me to submit outstanding documents in a certain period of time such as 28 days. If I ask for an extension of submitting my partner's IELTS, do you know if the CO will accept it?

I think you have to have evidence that its at least booked

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woooohoooo. Finally got our visa grant!!! Now the fun begins, house is up for sale and hope to be in perth soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Congrats! How long did it take you to get the grant? And which team did work on your visa if I may ask?

Unfortunately she is not holding a Britisth passport and is required to provide the Language ability evidence.

you don't need to provide an IELTS test but that will cost you and additional $4000. Spouse's requirements are 4.5 on IELTS. It clearly states before you lodge your visa that you must have ALL and including language ability - evidence at the time of your lodgement. I hope this will not affect your visa. Did you get an extension or reply from your CO about this?

you don't need to provide an IELTS test but that will cost you and additional $4000. Spouse's requirements are 4.5 on IELTS. It clearly states before you lodge your visa that you must have ALL and including language ability - evidence at the time of your lodgement. I hope this will not affect your visa. Did you get an extension or reply from your CO about this?

Thanks Maggie for your information. I've tried to read all the information available in the DIAC web site, including Booklet 6 & 11, but couldn't find the requirement stating that the English ability of partner evidence must be at the time of my lodgement. Could you let me know where possibly this requirement is from?

I haven't been contacted by a CO, so no chance to ask for extension yet.

Thanks Maggie for your information. I've tried to read all the information available in the DIAC web site, including Booklet 6 & 11, but couldn't find the requirement stating that the English ability of partner evidence must be at the time of my lodgement. Could you let me know where possibly this requirement is from?

I haven't been contacted by a CO, so no chance to ask for extension yet.

It is on the check list found here: http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/checklists/190-applicant-checklist.pdf

also on skill select under points it states: "You must be able to demonstrate that you have met the Competent English requirement at time of visa invitation for all Points Tested visas." When you odged your visa or filled the EOI you had to provide proof of your English ability (at least we had to fill in the fields). I do not know how much the system changed after the 1st of July so I cannot comment on that one.

Hi all,

I am waiting for CO. One of the documents I need to submit is my wife's IELTS. However, she haven't taken the test and wants to have more time to prepare for it. From previous posts, it seems that once a CO is allocated, he will request me to submit outstanding documents in a certain period of time such as 28 days. If I ask for an extension of submitting my partner's IELTS, do you know if the CO will accept it?

You can submit it later, after CO requests it. That is what I did. My husband took his IELtS 2 weeks after CO assigment. Only the primary applicant (and partner if claiming extra 5points) needs all evidence at the time of the application.

You can also ask for extension, but I guess you should have evidence that you have at least booked the test.

You can submit it later, after CO requests it. That is what I did. My husband took his IELtS 2 weeks after CO assigment. Only the primary applicant (and partner if claiming extra 5points) needs all evidence at the time of the application.

You can also ask for extension, but I guess you should have evidence that you have at least booked the test.

well, better to be safe (at least we made sure everything was in place, however that is personal preference) and I think his wife is not really wanting to take the test yet. Extension is hit and miss and depends on your CO. They should be working to a set timetable.You had a great CO. BTW have you packed yet ? :-)

It is on the check list found here: http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/checklists/190-applicant-checklist.pdf

also on skill select under points it states: "You must be able to demonstrate that you have met the Competent English requirement at time of visa invitation for all Points Tested visas." When you odged your visa or filled the EOI you had to provide proof of your English ability (at least we had to fill in the fields). I do not know how much the system changed after the 1st of July so I cannot comment on that one.

Thanks Maggie again. My interpretation is that the main applicant must have met the English ability requirement at the time of lodgement / visa invitation because he/she has claimed points. I, as the main applicant, have met the requirement. However, for partner, which I do not claim any point, the requirement is Functional English or a second installment of charge as the tuition of English in Australia.

The document checklist excerpted below does not mention a timing.

English language ability

□ Evidence that each applicant meets the relevant English language requirements.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Btw, my children under 18 do not need to provide evidence of his/her English ability, do they?

Edited by vp3

Joanna, did your CO ask for submission of your hubby's English ability evidence? How long were you given to upload it? Did you ask for extension?

vp3,

I may have a similar situation here. at the time of application, I ticked my partner's English as "functional". But as a non English speaker, he is not quite sure about his capability of obtaining that 4.5, and maybe doesn't want to take that test.

My CO has been assigned and in the requested doc list he sent to me, regarding the Partner English Evidence, it says that I can inform them if we don't want to sit the test. We will then pay for the second installment fee AUD4050.

But as precious posts suggested, as long as you can provide the CO with evidence of test booking before the end of first 28 days, you should have no problem of getting an extension for your wife to better prepare for the test.

vp3,

I may have a similar situation here. at the time of application, I ticked my partner's English as "functional". But as a non English speaker, he is not quite sure about his capability of obtaining that 4.5, and maybe doesn't want to take that test.

My CO has been assigned and in the requested doc list he sent to me, regarding the Partner English Evidence, it says that I can inform them if we don't want to sit the test. We will then pay for the second installment fee AUD4050.

But as precious posts suggested, as long as you can provide the CO with evidence of test booking before the end of first 28 days, you should have no problem of getting an extension for your wife to better prepare for the test.

vp3,

Yes, SailOZ, my case is the same as yours. I also ticked my partner's English as Functional in the application form. My wife is preparing for the test and also not sure whether she can obtain 4.5 or not. If we ask for an extension of submitting the IELTS result, but finally her score is below 4.5, will it affect the visa grant? Will we be allowed then to change to pay the 2nd installment?

Choosing to pay AUD 4050 not only means $, but also time to spend in the English courses in Australia.

Yes, SailOZ, my case is the same as yours. I also ticked my partner's English as Functional in the application form. My wife is preparing for the test and also not sure whether she can obtain 4.5 or not. If we ask for an extension of submitting the IELTS result, but finally her score is below 4.5, will it affect the visa grant? Will we be allowed then to change to pay the 2nd installment?

Choosing to pay AUD 4050 not only means $, but also time to spend in the English courses in Australia.

So you've ticked functional English:wub: after all. I think we also read it somewhere that not only the spouse has to have functional Engish but the main applicant as well (if you are not a British, USA etc. citizen) and that means a minimum score of 6 on IELTS.

Either way it looks like you may need to pay that second installment. If not, what may happen is that your visa gets granted and your wife gets a refusal. Honestly this is just speculation and it all depends on the CO. But to be safe I'd give DIAC a call ASAP.

well, better to be safe (at least we made sure everything was in place, however that is personal preference) and I think his wife is not really wanting to take the test yet. Extension is hit and miss and depends on your CO. They should be working to a set timetable.You had a great CO. BTW have you packed yet ? :-)

Yeah, I also like to have everything prepared beforehand. But my hubby was really worried that he might not pass it and needed a month to prepare. Also, we live in small town and IELTS tests are only organized ones a month:)

As for packing - not even close! I am still deciding if to move in the beginning of Dec or beginning of Jan... Also, an employer from Sydney is interested in working with me and I am torn between accepting (it's a great offer in the field that I want to work in) and waiting for something to come up from Melbourne as I really wanted to move there (and I am Vic sponsored)...

Anyway, I have some though decisions to make this month, but hopefully everything will be clear in Sep and I can finally book my tickets and start packing:)

How are you doing? I am sure you will get your visa any day now... Are you already applying for jobs?

Cheers!

Joanna, did your CO ask for submission of your hubby's English ability evidence? How long were you given to upload it? Did you ask for extension?

Yes. In the application I ticked "no functional English" for my partner and when Co was assigned she asked for IELTS. I sent her a booking confirmation and ask for extension (just in case my hubby does not get > 4.5 and he needs to take the test again) and she was happy to give as extra time.

But in our case everything went well, he got 5.5 overall and we submitted the test result exactly on the 28day after it was requested. 10 days later we got our visas:)

So you've ticked functional English:wub: after all. I think we also read it somewhere that not only the spouse has to have functional Engish but the main applicant as well (if you are not a British, USA etc. citizen) and that means a minimum score of 6 on IELTS.

Either way it looks like you may need to pay that second installment. If not, what may happen is that your visa gets granted and your wife gets a refusal. Honestly this is just speculation and it all depends on the CO. But to be safe I'd give DIAC a call ASAP.

If my wife's IELTS turns out to be below 4.5, I will pay the second installment. If this is allowed, my wife should be granted a visa as well, shouldn't she?

Since I've already ticked Functional English for spouse, is there an urgent need to call DIAC at this time before CO allocation?

If my wife's IELTS turns out to be below 4.5, I will pay the second installment. If this is allowed, my wife should be granted a visa as well, shouldn't she?

Since I've already ticked Functional English for spouse, is there an urgent need to call DIAC at this time before CO allocation?

in my opinion, you couldnot do anything by calling DIAC on this since you may not have a CO yet.

again, since you are not claiming point from your wife, this shouldn't be of a big issue. at least from the letter I received from the CO, I was given the option to pay even I ticked "functional". I just need to write to inform them. We will decide if my partner wants to sit the test. if not, we will write to them asking for the payment link. I will keep you informed of how we proceed on this. Cheers

in my opinion, you couldnot do anything by calling DIAC on this since you may not have a CO yet.

again, since you are not claiming point from your wife, this shouldn't be of a big issue. at least from the letter I received from the CO, I was given the option to pay even I ticked "functional". I just need to write to inform them. We will decide if my partner wants to sit the test. if not, we will write to them asking for the payment link. I will keep you informed of how we proceed on this. Cheers

SailOZ, thanks a lot for sharing your case.

Yeah, I also like to have everything prepared beforehand. But my hubby was really worried that he might not pass it and needed a month to prepare. Also, we live in small town and IELTS tests are only organized ones a month:)

As for packing - not even close! I am still deciding if to move in the beginning of Dec or beginning of Jan... Also, an employer from Sydney is interested in working with me and I am torn between accepting (it's a great offer in the field that I want to work in) and waiting for something to come up from Melbourne as I really wanted to move there (and I am Vic sponsored)...

Anyway, I have some though decisions to make this month, but hopefully everything will be clear in Sep and I can finally book my tickets and start packing:)

How are you doing? I am sure you will get your visa any day now... Are you already applying for jobs?

Cheers!

Remember, December and January is holiday season in OZ. We were warned that it may be tough to get things done and almost nobody is hiring. If I was you I'd take the job in Sydney if it is offered, work there for 6 months/year and look for something in Melbourne in the meantime. We might do the same 9go to Melbourne) in the beginning and look for jobs in ACT, then a few months later or so move there and complete the 2 years. We have some friends in Melbourne and we could save big $$$ staying there in the beginning, especially if we are not walking into a job.

Unfortunately nobody wants to talk to us until we have our visa granted so we are not really successful with our job hunt. I too hope that we'll get that visa granted soon.