TishTashTosh

France to Australia?

Just wondered if anyone else had moved to another country before moving to Australia?

We moved from UK to France 4 years ago and now considering moving on.... anyone else done this? Live in France?

Hi :)

Yes, we moved from the Charente Maritime to WA. Been here in WA now for over 2 years after 8 years in France.

I do miss France, miss the French country side and way of life but do not miss the stress of running a business there.

:)

Ah that is interesting you should say that.... we have a great house (think vineyards and sunflowers!), good friends, kids totally settled and a thriving business. Sounds perfect right? In theory it is BUT in order to keep the business at a level we need to live it involves INSANE working hours and stress. To the point where we are considering just going back to UK and getting 'normal' jobs again. HOWEVER we cant stand the thought of going back to the UK!

Hence why we are considering a move to Australia.... we have heard that it may give us the comprimise that we are looking for - back to 'normal' jobs but with better weather than UK and a more family orientated lifestyle. So many expats on here and other forums moan about Australia being old fashioned compared to the UK but that suits us as that is what we like about France!

What your thoughts on this based on your experience of UK, France and Australia?

Oooooooo that is a tough question but do not want to go back to the UK.

Loved France, loved my house, cried when I left it :embarrassed: Miss my sunflowers and vines !

You know as you said how it goes there with work, you always need to earn more to pay the charges, ours got to the point where even if we both worked 24-7 we still wouldn't be able to pay, never mind anything to live on afterwards.

Migration is never easy but if you can make it in France and stay strong then you can make it any where !

Australia is big skies and lovely beaches , friendly people and very different to life in France. We have lived in both WA and QLD. We prefer WA as it does feel more laid back than QLD.

​Still was a shock moving into suburbia after rural France but the kids have settled in so well and they enjoy their schools and for my eldest the freedom of getting a bus and being out and about with out having to get Mum to drop him off, he loves it.

As for normal jobs, we are both working here and working long hours but here we do get to keep the money, less tax of course. Which you need as the cost of living is high here.

Feel free to send me a private message if you would like any questions answered.

​Sam :)

You need to look at what you are likely to earn in Oz in your normal jobs and what lifestyle that will give you.

I moved from Eure & Loir to WA. WA is a very different lifestyle with a very expensive cost of living. Like others liked France and miss a lot about the uniqueness to the life there.

I couldn't do suburbia here and find the inner city ok. Don't find folk particulary friendly though and laid back to an extent but far less so than in earlier years.

It's ok for awhile but would be hestitant saying it forever.

Ah that is interesting you should say that.... we have a great house (think vineyards and sunflowers!), good friends, kids totally settled and a thriving business. Sounds perfect right? In theory it is BUT in order to keep the business at a level we need to live it involves INSANE working hours and stress. To the point where we are considering just going back to UK and getting 'normal' jobs again. HOWEVER we cant stand the thought of going back to the UK!

Hence why we are considering a move to Australia.... we have heard that it may give us the comprimise that we are looking for - back to 'normal' jobs but with better weather than UK and a more family orientated lifestyle. So many expats on here and other forums moan about Australia being old fashioned compared to the UK but that suits us as that is what we like about France!

What your thoughts on this based on your experience of UK, France and Australia?

It is behind the times in many respects but hardly old fashioned. (if that makes sense) Rather conservative and lacking in the diversity of Europe. Good for a young family I would say but not necessary so as kids age as a number move on.

It is hard to compare as have lived long periods in all three countries you mention and the variables are great. Being older now I would more likely decide on France (but like Germany too) and least likely to go to Australia.

Just check out previous threads on the topic and find out the issues important for you.