You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

MrsLZB

Which passport to leave Oz on?

Hey folks, this has probably been posted before, but, we all hold both British and Australian passports. Leaving in July, which passport do we leave Oz on? Does it matter?

"You're the driver not the passenger in life..."

Australian, yes it matters you need to leave and enter Australia on your Australian passports.

Thank you Rupert, so that means switching passports mid air so to speak? As obviously we need to arrive back in UK on British passport....

Thank you Rupert, so that means switching passports mid air so to speak? As obviously we need to arrive back in UK on British passport....

That's right, you have to use the passport relating to the country you are entering or leaving.

No not at all obviously. There is no such requirement to arrive in the UK on your British passport, you can arrive on your Australian one if you like. Not all countries have the same rules and the UK does not have this one...

Personally I would take the British one anyway though as queues tend to be shorter.

Edited by Rupert

Guest Guest72037

Sorry to hi-jack from the questioner but this is closely related. My airline wanted me to enter our passport numbers as part of the booking so I put the British numbers. Should I have put the Australian numbers instead as this will be the one I'll use to leave Australia? They are 1 way tickets.

Guest GeorgeD
Sorry to hi-jack from the questioner but this is closely related. My airline wanted me to enter our passport numbers as part of the booking so I put the British numbers. Should I have put the Australian numbers instead as this will be the one I'll use to leave Australia? They are 1 way tickets.

You don't need to use the same passport with the airline as immigration on the same journey.

No not at all obviously. There is no such requirement to arrive in the UK on your British passport, you can arrive on your Australian one if you like. Not all countries have the same rules and the UK does not have this one...

Personally I would take the British one anyway though as queues tend to be shorter.

However, if you enter on your Australian visa it will be stamped with a 6 month visitor visa. I have no idea of the consequence if, as a British citizen, you overstay that 6 months but since to OP is going back permanently it is probably best to enter on British passport.

i don't think the airline will care which passport you put but I don't know so interested to see other people's replies.

I usually give them both and let them work it out. I don't think it matters for the tickets. They will want to know you have right of entry to the country you are flying to. If you left Oz on an English, I doubt they would question your right to abode in Oz as you were leaving, but if they did you would just show them the Oz passport. Alot of people query this, but in truth I've done it many times and I've never had any issues. Just keep them both handy and ask which one they want.

Basically do the following:

If travelling from Australia to UK.

1. Book your flight to UK quoting your UK passport number

2. Present your UK passport to the airline desk and staff when checking in for your flight.

3. As you pass through border controls to board your flight show your Australian passport

4. Present your UK passport on arrival in UK

​Do the reverse when returning to Australia.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Guest Guest72037

Thanks for the information guys! It's always a little daunting doing these things :)

Basically do the following:

If travelling from Australia to UK.

1. Book your flight to UK quoting your UK passport number

2. Present your UK passport to the airline desk and staff when checking in for your flight.

3. As you pass through border controls to board your flight show your Australian passport

4. Present your UK passport on arrival in UK

​Do the reverse when returning to Australia.

I would actually recommend doing something slightly different. Some airline websites get confused if you try to change your passport details for the return leg, which means you end up not being able to check in online on the way back and having to rock up at the airport earlier than you might otherwise need to. Since you don't need an advance visa to enter UK on Australian passport, you can just give the airline the Australian passport numbers in both directions. Then at immigration, use the passport of that country (UK to enter and leave UK, Australian to enter and leave Australia)

Thanks for the replies. Interesting though, as I don't remember quoting my passport number when I booked our flights... And Jules that was my concern for using the Aussie passport at UK border control because we won't have a visa... So in summary, we will leave Oz on their passport and arrive home on the British one. But probably hand them all over just to avoid confusion!!?!

Thanks for the replies. Interesting though, as I don't remember quoting my passport number when I booked our flights... And Jules that was my concern for using the Aussie passport at UK border control because we won't have a visa... So in summary, we will leave Oz on their passport and arrive home on the British one. But probably hand them all over just to avoid confusion!!?!

No once you have left Aus you don't need it until you return to Aus - don't confuse the UK passport desk!

I can't find any reference to what happens if you try and leave Aus on a UK passport whilst an Aus citizen - the advice is that you must leave on an Aus passport but there is no mention of consequences if you don't and if you have a valid passport of another country it'd be interesting to know how they can actually stop you leaving on it. I think it's just another money making exercise TBH and of course they assume you will be returning to Aus in which case you would need one.

​I can't remember ever having to provide a passport number when booking my ticket

If you check-in on-line you do have to provide passport numbers so anyone on a return journey is probably best following RockDr's advice but for those of us on one way trips it doesn't matter.

One other thing to bear in mind is any countries you may do a stopover in, we plan to stop at KL on the way, neither British nor Australian citizens need to apply for a visa but you do need 6 months left on your passport which my son hasn't on his British so we will enter Malaysia as Australian citizens (& just hope we don't get in to trouble and get re-patriated to Aus! Worst nightmare ;))

Leave Australia on Aussie passport then the authorities will know you are not in the country, so you won't be sent a fine for not voting in the elections.

I thought you had to vote, even if you don't live in the country? Although to be fair, I haven't looked into it yet... It's on my looooong list of things to do....

Correct, you will have to submit a form if you will be unable or to be remove from voting

[h=2]I will be unable to vote while I'm overseas, what do I do?[/h] It is not compulsory to enrol and vote while overseas.

If you are unable to vote you can complete and submit an;

This form provides you with the option to be removed from the electoral roll while you are overseas.

If you choose to be removed from the electoral roll, you will need to enrol again to be able to vote in any future federal elections.

http://www.aec.gov.au/Enrolling_to_vote/overseas/index.htm

Leave Australia on Aussie passport then the authorities will know you are not in the country, so you won't be sent a fine for not voting in the elections.

Nope they still send you a fine! My son got caught with that one and circumstances prevented him from going to Bush House as he had planned. They rescinded the notice once he had informed them of his absence and they took him off the electoral roll. Just as well really, he's been gone 11 yrs now!

+1 for what RockDr says. Use your Australian passport for everything except your actual entry into the UK. That'll keep the airline paperwork happy and immigration won't care. On a single occasion (in my case with dual Canadian and UK at that stage but the principle is the same) UK immigration actually checked the UK passport for a Canadian exit stamp (which I obviously didn't have) but were completely happy when I said I had dual nationality and showed my Canadian passport. All the other times they just waved me through with no checks.

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-Dorothy Parker