Illegal Workers Caught Again

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

​03-05-2013 -Immigration compliance officers have located 27 illegal workers and visa overstayers in a series of compliance operations in the Central Coast and Newcastle areas that concluded overnight.

A Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) spokesman said immigration compliance teams visited businesses and homes in Raymond Terrace, Hamilton, Birmingham Gardens, Morriset, Gosford, The Entrance, Berkeley Vale, San Remo and Tarro.

“A total of 16 men and 11 women were found to be unlawful during the operation – 17 from the People’s Republic of China, five from Fiji and one each from the United Kingdom, Malaysia, Indonesia, India and Taiwan,” the spokesman said.

“Of this group, 21 people were detained and transferred to Villawood Immigration Detention Centre, where they will be removed from Australia at the earliest opportunity. Another six from the group located were granted bridging visas with strict conditions.”

A number of the operations were conducted in response to community information provided to the department’s dob-in line, while information was also received through other sources. Investigations into the circumstances of the employment of the illegal workers are continuing.

“Employers should be aware it is a criminal offence to knowingly or recklessly allow a person to work illegally or to refer an illegal worker for work,” the spokesman said.

The Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service is available to employers to check the relevant identification details of prospective employees, with their consent, to quickly confirm if they are eligible to work in Australia.

Employers convicted under Commonwealth legislation of employing illegal workers face fines of up to $20 400 and two years’ imprisonment while companies face fines of up to $102 000 per illegal worker.

“In 2011-12, almost 2000 people were caught working illegally in Australia,” the spokesman said. “This activity continued across the country this financial year with a further 1029 illegal workers found to December 31.”

People with information about illegal workers or visa overstayers are encouraged to call the Immigration Dob-In Line on 1800 009 623.

Media enquiries: National Communications Branch 02 8862 6261

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Onus should be on employer to check all is legal. Penalities for those that flaunt the law should apply.

They do.

Employers convicted under Commonwealth legislation of employing illegal workers face fines of up to $20 400 and two years’ imprisonment while companies face fines of up to $102 000 per illegal worker.

Personally I think that is something to be proud of.

These people are not paying taxes, and taking away jobs from people who are actually entitled to work. Why would anyone think that is a good thing?

Dobbing in is unpleasant and not a trait to be proud of. Far too much goes on in the work place at times in attempts to score brownie points. In times past it would have been regarded as very un Australian.

They do.

While on paper are they actually charged or giving warnings? I don't read much about errant boss types being hauled before the courts.

Dobbing in is unpleasant and not a trait to be proud of. Far too much goes on in the work place at times in attempts to score brownie points. In times past it would have been regarded as very un Australian.

I personally believe that if you don't do anything wrong you have nothing to worry about. Nobody can dob you in if you haven't done anything (unless they lie and that is a whole other thing).

Nothing unpleasant about helping to enforce the law, which is what this post is about, not just petty disagreements about who did what at work. And who are these 'dobbers' scoring brownie points with? They are reporting these people as it is the right thing to do.

Not to mention the obsession here with 'buying Aussie' and making sure as much as possible is Aussie. Of course they are going to want jobs to go to Aussies rather than illegal workers.

Guest GeorgeD

When workers are illegal they aren't insured...meaning colleagues, the public, and the workers themselves are put at risk. They don't receive adequate training, they may not be qualified to do they job they are doing, again putting others and themselves at risk. The illegals are likely to be paid a pittance and forced to work illegal hours, no sick pay or super entitlement, etc. Making sure people are legal and reporting those who aren't isn't punishing anyone...it's actually helping the people around them, and the workers themselves avoid doing something with serious consequences.

Do you want an untrained electrician wiring your house?

Do you want chefs who have no training in food preparation or hygiene preparing your dinner?

Do you like keeping costs low by forcing people to work 16 hours a day 7 days a week for practically nothing?

Telling the authorities about illegal workers isn't bad. Doing it falsely when you know someone is legal and claiming they aren't...that's a disgrace, and un Australian as well.

Employers absolutely should be punished more severely for employing illegal workers, for exactly the same reason...they are putting their staff, their customers, and the illegal worker themselves at risk.

Edited by GeorgeD

How do people feel about companies that are trading off being Australian and supporting only Australian produce yet exploiting 457 rules.

Talking with someone yesterday who has a client who has already been heavily fined for misuse 2 years ago and currently has around 30 suspect cases where they have rorted the 457 rules.

Rorted by not do required training

The roles performed nothing to do with 457 role put forward (ie for 457 accounting work, actual work performed managing warehouse).

What happens to these workers when the company is raided and found out? Do they have only 28 days to get out of country or is the Immigration sympathetic to them?

What happens to the directors? Fines are only an expense to them. Surely penal is more suitable?

Guest chris955

It is very business savvy to play the whole patriotism card but at the end of the day they will do whatever is necessary to increase profits.

When workers are illegal they aren't insured...meaning colleagues, the public, and the workers themselves are put at risk. They don't receive adequate training, they may not be qualified to do they job they are doing, again putting others and themselves at risk. The illegals are likely to be paid a pittance and forced to work illegal hours, no sick pay or super entitlement, etc. Making sure people are legal and reporting those who aren't isn't punishing anyone...it's actually helping the people around them, and the workers themselves avoid doing something with serious consequences.

Do you want an untrained electrician wiring your house?

Do you want chefs who have no training in food preparation or hygiene preparing your dinner?

Do you like keeping costs low by forcing people to work 16 hours a day 7 days a week for practically nothing?

Telling the authorities about illegal workers isn't bad. Doing it falsely when you know someone is legal and claiming they aren't...that's a disgrace, and un Australian as well.

Employers absolutely should be punished more severely for employing illegal workers, for exactly the same reason...they are putting their staff, their customers, and the illegal worker themselves at risk.

Generally illegal workers tend to be doing unskilled work and are more the backpacker variety. If you employ an elecrtican at half the cost as normal from of the street then it is fair to expect he is either working black or on the fiddle.

You make your decision on whether to give them a job or not.

This has been the method in Europe for decades.

Standards are far from high at present in many kitchens with the use of cheaper staff in certain places. Some look more backpackers than cooks.I've had a few pretty awful supposed Aussie tradesmen as well as ok ones.

I think we are talking about a different type of illegal not so often found in Australia with backpackers and newly arrived refugees doing the cheaper more exploitive type work. Not saying it doesn't happen but easy enough to do it legally in Australia. Not forgetting the 457 either.

Guest chris955

A few months ago there was one of these customs/immigration shows that went to a chicken processing factory and found something like 30 illegal Chinese workers, almost the whole workforce. All unskilled low paid.

Generally illegal workers tend to be doing unskilled work and are more the backpacker variety. If you employ an elecrtican at half the cost as normal from of the street then it is fair to expect he is either working black or on the fiddle.

You make your decision on whether to give them a job or not.

This has been the method in Europe for decades.

Standards are far from high at present in many kitchens with the use of cheaper staff in certain places. Some look more backpackers than cooks.I've had a few pretty awful supposed Aussie tradesmen as well as ok ones.

I think we are talking about a different type of illegal not so often found in Australia with backpackers and newly arrived refugees doing the cheaper more exploitive type work. Not saying it doesn't happen but easy enough to do it legally in Australia. Not forgetting the 457 either.

How do people feel about companies that are trading off being Australian and supporting only Australian produce yet exploiting 457 rules.

Talking with someone yesterday who has a client who has already been heavily fined for misuse 2 years ago and currently has around 30 suspect cases where they have rorted the 457 rules.

Rorted by not do required training

The roles performed nothing to do with 457 role put forward (ie for 457 accounting work, actual work performed managing warehouse).

What happens to these workers when the company is raided and found out? Do they have only 28 days to get out of country or is the Immigration sympathetic to them?

What happens to the directors? Fines are only an expense to them. Surely penal is more suitable?

We had a thread recently with regards to 457s with their defenders supporting the case. This abuse has been going on for at least five years. It seemed a blind eye was turned to it as there was very poor accountability and some were treated as well slaves is the only word I can think off. Not all were abusing of course but it took a long time for the government to act.

I personally came across a case where a European non English speaker was badly abused and close to a mental breakdown.His options proved limited and the outcome was far from satisfactory.

That is the sort of abuse that should be stamped down on. Employers should be the ones reported if dobbing in is to be considered a ok thing to do.

Most illegals I suspect are doing very basic jobs that Aussies won't tend to do,but if they are found in positions then they should not be allowed to continue. But ram it home by taking action against rogue 457 employers as well as those employing illegals. The message will get home at some stage.

I personally believe that if you don't do anything wrong you have nothing to worry about. Nobody can dob you in if you haven't done anything (unless they lie and that is a whole other thing).

Nothing unpleasant about helping to enforce the law, which is what this post is about, not just petty disagreements about who did what at work. And who are these 'dobbers' scoring brownie points with? They are reporting these people as it is the right thing to do.

Not to mention the obsession here with 'buying Aussie' and making sure as much as possible is Aussie. Of course they are going to want jobs to go to Aussies rather than illegal workers.

One could say the death sentence is fine as I'll never break the law so I've no reason to bother. Likewise cameras everywhere is not an abuse of personal freedom being spied on for the greater good. Or government control with regards to internet.

We need to see the bigger picture. By the way there is plenty of snooping and reporting of goings on at work,often mistakenly in attempts to get ahead etc of others but putting them in a bad light. May depends on work place but it is a form of dobbing as well.

So if you thought or suspected a UK backpacker was working illegally for say a furniture removal or helping out a painter for example you would feel the need to report them?

Guest GeorgeD

So if you thought or suspected a UK backpacker was working illegally for say a furniture removal or helping out a painter for example you would feel the need to report them?

If it stopped him from dropping our very expensive bone tea set and not being insured or him falling off a high platform and breaking his neck and not being covered by travel insurance or any work cover, etc, then we'd probably both be grateful if somebody stopped him working! And so would the legal person who got paid to do the job instead of him, and the taxman for all that lovely tax they collect on his wages and the children whose schools that tax pays for, etc, etc...

One could say the death sentence is fine as I'll never break the law so I've no reason to bother. Likewise cameras everywhere is not an abuse of personal freedom being spied on for the greater good. Or government control with regards to internet.

We need to see the bigger picture. By the way there is plenty of snooping and reporting of goings on at work,often mistakenly in attempts to get ahead etc of others but putting them in a bad light. May depends on work place but it is a form of dobbing as well.

I have no problem with the death penalty IF it is done thoroughly enough.

And cameras everywhere... YES please!!! That is one of the things I miss about the uk. I like knowing that if someone attacked me someone would be watching and sending help. The only reason I can see for anyone being against them is them thinking they will get caught doing something wrong. Don't do anything and there is nothing to worry about.

I worked with an Indian lad who was on a student visa. He told me employers he could work full time. I of course told him he couldn't, he finally agreed he wasn't supposed to but who would know. I told him that he must tell my employers he could only work 20 hours a week. When he hadn't, DAMN right I told them! They have no clue, and would have taken his word for it.

I'm afraid I'm quite black and white when it comes to right or wrong. There isn't much grey. I have always been pretty squeaky (I don't even speed!) and I see no reason that everyone else can't be either, so your trying to convince me that 'dobbing' is bad is totally falling on death ears.

Guest chris955

I must admit I have never understood the dislike of CCTV cameras, I couldnt care less if 20 cameras a day see me if it makes the streets safer.

And cameras everywhere... YES please!!! That is one of the things I miss about the uk. I like knowing that if someone attacked me someone would be watching and sending help. The only reason I can see for anyone being against them is them thinking they will get caught doing something wrong. Don't do anything and there is nothing to worry about.

I worked with an Indian lad who was on a student visa. He told me employers he could work full time. I of course told him he couldn't, he finally agreed he wasn't supposed to but who would know. I told him that he must tell my employers he could only work 20 hours a week. When he hadn't, DAMN right I told them! They have no clue, and would have taken his word for it.

I'm afraid I'm quite black and white when it comes to right or wrong. There isn't much grey. I have always been pretty squeaky (I don't even speed!) and I see no reason that everyone else can't be either, so your trying to convince me that 'dobbing' is bad is totally falling on death ears.

Nice to know theres good people like you looking out for us all.

Personally I think that is something to be proud of.

These people are not paying taxes, and taking away jobs from people who are actually entitled to work. Why would anyone think that is a good thing?

Why do you think the firms are employing them , payin them peanuts and payin nowt out , and payin taxes fob in the Rinehart pig and her mates , I bet a gang of cashies earning peanuts havnt skimmed an iota of the money they scam