You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Bamboozled

All our annual leave goes on trips to uk!

Hi all,

just wondered if anyone else finds this? I didn't really think about this aspect of life over here but all our spare cash and annual leave gets used up on trips back to see family and friends, or having time off when they visit here. Just realized that we haven't had a family holiday anywhere but here and uk. When we first came out we were excited about the prospect of cheaper Asian holidays etc but I honestly didn't think about the time and money we would spend on the above.

How dumb of me hey lol. Wouldn't change it for the world but looking forward to making my ten years at work for the long service leave!! And of course when we win the lotto (which should be any day now!) it'll all be good :biggrin:

We didn't think this through either! After our last visit to the UK I decided I'd had enough, I no longer wanted our only holidays to be to the UK, we used to do so much. It is not the only reason but we are moving back to the UK and I look forward to being able to afford to have a HOLIDAY in Australia - we haven't been able to afford to see much of WA, let alone anywhere else, other than the major cities where the travel is reasonable cheap and I get a chance to visit through work too.

I get seven weeks holiday in the UK (2 weeks salary sacrificed) so we get to spend some holidays in Oz and some in the UK. Problem is, Oz is so expensive we can't afford trips to Europe (which is not cheap either). So it's mainly UK camping, which can be an interesting experience.

Surely it's your decision where you spend your annual leave. :confused:

There's no law that says you must return to the UK every year.

Go somewhere else instead.

That's why we don't visit the UK - plenty other places we want to use our annual leave to visit! We may go for a visit if we go permanent but it's more likely to be a week's visit as part of a longer holiday, probably a round-the-world type thing visiting Asia and America either side :o)

She'll be right!

Of course there is no law about it, what an odd thing to say. We choose to use our leave to visit our family and friends and they come here too. We just didn't think about the fact that it would use all our time and I now find it crazy that we didn't factor it in is all.

No law, but in my case there is a moral conscience - my parents are in their 80s and I am an only child. They are unable to travel to us so there really isn't another choice.

I am not saying everyone would or should make the same decision as me but it was unrealistic to think i could return every year and use more than half my annual leave allowance and around $10K and be able to do anything else. (It is also a bit more complicated as I have become unwell myself since coming to Australia and the flights are a huge risk to my health - I was hospitalised after the last one!)

Guest Ptp113
Of course there is no law about it, what an odd thing to say. We choose to use our leave to visit our family and friends and they come here too. We just didn't think about the fact that it would use all our time and I now find it crazy that we didn't factor it in is all.

Most people don't do this. Maybe time to go back to Blighty permanently....

How long have you been here? We did find visitors dropped off as the years went by, so to some extent you do get more free time to holiday where you like. Id also consider only going to the UK every other year so you can visit other places inbetween..

​ Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

You need to control it I think. We made a conscious decision (and told people) that we'd be back once every two years at best. We still don't get as much in the way of holidays in Aus but, that's life. TBH it costs so much and is enough of a pain in the bum that you may as well go abroad IMO. Would be different if we could go on a camping road trip but my kids are too young for that to be enjoyable

​I'd love to get out and about more here - there's a whole continent out there

I would have thought with the exchange rate the way it is, holidays to UK would be the most affordable they've ever been.

If you're converting Aussie dollars they should go a long way in the UK.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Guest Ptp113
You need to control it I think. We made a conscious decision (and told people) that we'd be back once every two years at best. We still don't get as much in the way of holidays in Aus but, that's life. TBH it costs so much and is enough of a pain in the bum that you may as well go abroad IMO. Would be different if we could go on a camping road trip but my kids are too young for that to be enjoyable

​I'd love to get out and about more here - there's a whole continent out there

And it varies in ways you can't possibly imagine until you experience it!

How long have you been here? We did find visitors dropped off as the years went by, so to some extent you do get more free time to holiday where you like. Id also consider only going to the UK every other year so you can visit other places inbetween..

​ Cal x

Been here five years now, mum comes out once a year, brother every other year, friends have come out, our eldest son and our very young grandchild are there so you can understand why I would want to go so often. Initially he was going to join us once he finished his carpentry training but then he got into a relationship and now has a gorgeous boy of his own and a partner who is happy to come for holidays but not to live. Meanwhile the other two kids have pretty much grown up here and love it, one in uni and one apprentice. I may have just had a brainwave, I might suggest we all meet up in hongkong for a holiday together next time hmmmm...

Been here five years now, mum comes out once a year, brother every other year, friends have come out, our eldest son and our very young grandchild are there so you can understand why I would want to go so often. Initially he was going to join us once he finished his carpentry training but then he got into a relationship and now has a gorgeous boy of his own and a partner who is happy to come for holidays but not to live. Meanwhile the other two kids have pretty much grown up here and love it, one in uni and one apprentice. I may have just had a brainwave, I might suggest we all meet up in hongkong for a holiday together next time hmmmm...

heh that might be a good idea,, meet half way,, i have heard good reports from people who have been to Singapore too..

I dont envy you it must be horrible not being with your kids, no matter how old they are, i hope they will come to some compromise with you..

​ Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest Guest66881

Our daughter comes her twice a year we pay for one she pays for the other, we did think of going over there but bolloxxxxxs to that it's grey dark and full of smelly people (except my daughter that is):wink:

We used to visit UK every 5 years- quite enough for us. We haven't been since 2002 this time and will probably not go again ( but never say never I guess) Everytime we go there are fairly major changes and being an old fart, I don't really like that.

We are having this issue now. I'm gagging to see Australia even some more of WA but since we've been here, all our spare cash has gone on setting up our new lives ( rightly so ) so we are now in the position where we have our home so time to explore.....wrong. I visit my girls in Brisbane regularly which I obviously love, MIL came out this year so two weeks off. BIL come this week so another week off. And all our spare cash being saved to go back to a wedding next year . I just want to explore! I've no interest in going back Its my OH's family. I'm hoping I can get out if it. Our son doesn't want to go either so I may persuade OH to go on his own I reckon.

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

Oddly enough this very same situation and discussion has just been had in our house.

We have been here 14 months, had my family and my inlaws visit. Now we are kind of our of holidays, and are wondering when we can actually go back to UK.

We are a small close family, but definitely overlooked the annual leave aspect of returning to UK and having visitors from UK here too,

And not to sound even more spoilt, I'd like a little fortnight away somewhere as our little family!!

We will see how it all pans out,

Donna x

Donna 32, Terry 31 and Katie 5!:cool:, IELTS Academic Passed 12/03/11, ANMAC approved 27/06/11, WA SS 30/06/11, 176 visa lodged 30/06/11. CO 2/8/11, PCC UK 26/8, PCC cyprus 7/9, meds finalised 31/08/11, visa granted 10/10/11, flight booked 02/03/12.

I would have thought with the exchange rate the way it is, holidays to UK would be the most affordable they've ever been.

If you're converting Aussie dollars they should go a long way in the UK.

But! It's not just about money, it's time as well. And even if it were just about money, there's the massively inflated aus-uk airfares to consider! Whatever way you look at it, flights departing from Australia to UK cost more than the reverse!

She'll be right!

I think the whole idea of meeting somewhere in the middle is marvellous! I think my in-laws and my best mate would be up for that (once they have visited us here and seen where we live). Thanks for the great idea!

If you are looking for help applying to a job, writing a CV, cover letter or answering selection criteria, contact the experts at www.fremantlehr.com.au.

Based in Perth and helping clients worldwide to get the job they want in the company they want.

Whatever way you look at it, flights departing from Australia to UK cost more than the reverse!

Apart from when you compare the ratio between average salary and average return flight cost - from both the UK and Australia.

We haven't yet returned to the UK on holiday our next trip is to the US. OUr relatives know that we get very little time off and don't expect us to take big chunks of leave, we have odd days off with them and perhaps a long weekend somewhere - they're all content to go off exploring by themselves and doing their own thing and then we have the odd days out together.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

We get 4 weeks annual leave + 1 week for each 5 years of service

+

3 weeks for parental leave during school holidays ie Between terms 1 & 2, 2 & 3, 3 & 4

Non parents get parental leave but can only take it outside those term breaks

We haven't yet returned to the UK on holiday our next trip is to the US. OUr relatives know that we get very little time off and don't expect us to take big chunks of leave, we have odd days off with them and perhaps a long weekend somewhere - they're all content to go off exploring by themselves and doing their own thing and then we have the odd days out together.

That is what we do when family or friends come out to visit. Hubby normally does 2 or 3 days midweek giving us a longer 'weekend'..

​ Cal x

We go back every 18 months, so alternate a Christmas trip with a warmer trip where we can go on holiday in Europe, with family/friends. Generally end up going for about two and a half weeks so we get three full weekends over there. That leaves enough leave to be able to do fun holidays elsewhere too.

​Within Australia we make the most of the long weekends, and take a day or two here and there when we have visitors to make extra long weekends.