Is there anything that doesn't bite, kill or poison you in Oz

Robo234

Been here a couple of months in deepest Brisbane suburbia, havent seen anything other than a couple of spiders outside (no idea what type they are but one is hanging from the lampost across the street with a very impressive stash of flies) No snakes so far, do keep seeing Kangeroos in the park and little lizards near the lake. I will be honest before I came I thought the snakes and spiders might be a deal breaker. Now Im here I dont really think about them. Of course I am waiting for a huntsman to crawl out of my bin/post box..or sun visor in the car...If that happens I might be on the next plane....:laugh:

We've had 2 redbacks in the garden (one on the edge of the pool and one on a bamboo post) in Perth. Sprayed them fast. Saw one unknown spider on the stairs. He was flattened with a shoe, no questions asked. In the UK we gave spiders the benefit of the doubt and if they stayed on the ceiling they lived, if they ventured onto the floor they died. Here, if it has 8 legs it dies. No mercy.

I really love wildlife. However, I did have a few sticky moments...like when a Christmas beetle kept trying to land on me, and his legs were so spiky through my leggings that I was certain he was stinging me. Cue me running around like a loony, shouting.

Other than that, I saw very few spiders, and only one of them was remotely dangerous (white tail). I used to get quite paranoid about spiders and once went to bed, and woke up and saw a HUGE shadowy creature in the corner of the room on the wall. Woke up hubby, hubby turned on the light, ghecko scuttled off. I used to get a bit panicky about spiders visiting me in bed too, but that soon wore off. All to look forward to when we go out in August...!

No snakes seen, disappointingly. Lots of cane toads, and one tree frog! The rest of the interesting wildlife was brought in by the cat.

We've had 2 redbacks in the garden (one on the edge of the pool and one on a bamboo post) in Perth. Sprayed them fast. Saw one unknown spider on the stairs. He was flattened with a shoe, no questions asked. In the UK we gave spiders the benefit of the doubt and if they stayed on the ceiling they lived, if they ventured onto the floor they died. Here, if it has 8 legs it dies. No mercy.

I never kill any spiders ever, they all get rescued in our house! I won't be able to kill any spiders or insects in Oz :(

This is sooo funny me & Oh was laughing at this, & totally agree!x

These are harmless and very cute

http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/Find+out+about/Animals+of+Queensland/Mammals/Common+mammals+of+south-east+Queensland/Marsupials/Long-nosed+Bandicoot

Got a family in our backyard. We put out a peeled banana for them to eat, but the possums and scrub turkeys like the bananas as well.

Cheers, Bobj.

That's ace, there's so many weird & wonderful creatures in Aus, can't wait to see them all myself x

Exactly. He who lives by the sword, and all that.....if they don't want to be poisoned, they know what to do

​:wink:

Guest Guest 47403
That's ace, there's so many weird & wonderful creatures in Aus, can't wait to see them all myself x

I have a sneeky feeling you will never get to Oz to see those creatures!

I have a sneeky feeling you will never get to Oz to see those creatures!

Do you have to be so negative when you don't even know me, I have a feeling about you & the famous Wendee on here but do I post nasty or negative things about you's two.

I never kill any spiders ever, they all get rescued in our house! I won't be able to kill any spiders or insects in Oz :(

In the UK the majority of spiders will do you no harm. In Australia, the majority of spiders can do harm. You might not be worried, but you also might not have 2 toddlers who are used to picking up spiders and have no fear. A nasty nip to you might be a minor inconvenience, to them it might be fatal. I do of course realise that nobody in Australia has died from a spider bite in years, but that doesn't mean they won't and doesn't mean I won't take care. With my kids, I would not be confident that if they did get bitten by a spider they would tell me. I do have confidence that it would die within seconds of biting them, but not necessarily that I would find out (particularly with the two year old who does not yet speak clearly) what had happened in time.

Edited by Incata

We used to get huntsmen all the time but I haven't seen any for a couple of years now- maybe they are disappearing? Also - we never see any bull ants these days- the place used to be full of them. They could give you a really nasty sting. On the other hand we now see nasty things which look like the Sydney funnelwebs and we also get a lot of parrots that we used to only see up in Queensland. Global warming?

We used to get huntsmen all the time but I haven't seen any for a couple of years now- maybe they are disappearing? Also - we never see any bull ants these days- the place used to be full of them. They could give you a really nasty sting. On the other hand we now see nasty things which look like the Sydney funnelwebs and we also get a lot of parrots that we used to only see up in Queensland. Global warming?

Nope they got fed up of whingeing poms and emigrated! :biggrin:

Guest guest74886

It's the damned cockroaches which are the real nuisance, nothing to do with dirt or anything, they just arrive in plagues at times and they laugh at sprays

It's the damned cockroaches which are the real nuisance, nothing to do with dirt or anything, they just arrive in plagues at times and they laugh at sprays

Mortein works. Avoid the environmentally friendly one but the one in the black and red cannister is marvellous. No cockroach has lasted more than 10 seconds once that bad boy has been fired at it.

Guest chris955
Plenty of countries with more dangerous animals than Australia. For example, ask yourself where you'd rather go for a walk through the bush, Australia or South Africa.

Thats kind of irrelevant if you are going to Australia.

Wish you would...

scared0016.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Haha I really would if it came to it, I understand a few on here like to wind each other up & it is funny sometimes but quite a few times it's a bit much, especially if your just wanting a bit of info, like I say to my kids sometimes- 'if you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all' lol, there's some really nice & helpful people on here like yourself, its funny because you can tell most of time who the better people are on here & from what I've seen & been reading over past 10 months even before I joined about 96% on are nice & have got some lovely little stories to tell or some great information which we sometimes need over here, also I wouldn't be on here if I wasn't truly interested in emigrating to Australia, I'd have better things to do with my life, I nearly emigrated years ago ( did paperwork etc) but decided against it that was with my now ex partner, years later... older & wiser.. we've only got next few years to do it points wise on the 189 on my partner's trade so it's either now or never for us