Is there anything that doesn't bite, kill or poison you in Oz

Robo234

Been watching Australia's most deadliest attacks on Sky tv, think most people know Australia's got the most deadliest snakes & spiders etc but it's brought home to you that there's loads of insects or animals you don't even think could kill you... like moisqetos (excuse my spelling) Tick's, tinniest of Jelly fish!! or big python in back garden (that got a little boy!) He was ok in end neighbours helped his mummy get it off him, these stories can't be just odd one off's...

Guest Ptp113
Been watching Australia's most deadliest attacks on Sky tv, think most people know Australia's got the most deadliest snakes & spiders etc but it's brought home to you that there's loads of insects or animals you don't even think could kill you... like moisqetos (excuse my spelling) Tick's, tinniest of Jelly fish!! or big python in back garden (that got a little boy!) He was ok in end neighbours helped his mummy get it off him, these stories can't be just odd one off's...

We're all in fear of our lives every day. I don't know why we don't return to Blighty where it's benign.

My friend emigrated to Perth last October and he lives in a place called Wembley, south of the city. He sent me a picture of two Tiger snakes just loitering about in the reeves in his local park.

Having said that humans are responsible for thousands of deaths every single year yet the poor old Great White gets labelled as the killer and contributes to a few deaths a year.... in its own territory. Shame really but yes snakes do get bad press.

Guest Ptp113
Really???? Haha Hello Wendee! Well yep I was thinking same, are you all insane living there lol,

That's a yes. Still the best place in the known universe to be.

Edited by ali

Yes ghostgirl think I need to do some extra research myself! I'll google statistics for insects etc over here & there, there's probably a lot more chance of getting run over here compared to oz for example! Lol, I've got my head screwed on right haha my Dad used to say when I was younger 'When your times up it's up!' So pretty open minded & can just laugh about some things but... getting your leg bitten off by a Shark I'm quite sure is no laughing matter... x

Guest guest74886
I've been reading about Aussie spiders (out of interest, not fear!) and they aren't anywhere near as bad as most people seem to think. No one has died for decades apparently.

I think that the number of deaths from Spider, snake bites and jelly fish stings is far less than maybe 20 years ago because of better availability of treatments, especially jellyfish where dousing with vinegar is now recognised as immediate first aid and also first aid treatments are more widely accessible, but I'm sure that deaths still do occur, only stat I have come up with is 41 deaths from snakebite since 1980 but no stats for number of bites involving venom release that did not result in death.

Major problem in my experience via my OH is that if you are sensitive to bites then spider bites although not life threatening can last for weeks and are easily infected and are very difficult to treat other than with anti histamines which only alleviate symptoms.

Edited by guest74886

I think that the number of deaths from Spider, snake bites and jelly fish stings is far less than maybe 20 years ago because of better availability of treatments, especially jellyfish where dousing with vinegar is now recognised as immediate first aid and also first aid treatments are more widely accessible, but I'm sure that deaths still do occur, only stat I have come up with is 41 deaths from snakebite since 1980 but no stats for number of bites involving venom release that did not result in death.

Major problem in my experience via my OH is that if you are sensitive to bites then spider bites although not life threatening can last for weeks and are easily infected and are very difficult to treat other than with anti histamines which only alleviate symptoms.

I had to go to hospital with a wasp sting I obtained in England! I am real sensitive to mozzies/fleas/any annoying bitey insect things. I am not worrying myself about getting bitten by anything in Oz though, the main reason I want to go to Oz so badly is for the animals. I know I won't see many in Sydney but I hope to travel around.

Hummm wonder what you said Wendee before it was edited... well maybe oneday I'll find out if it is the best place to be...

Ghostgirl that's one of many reasons why I want to go too... love animals. .. sounds amazing even interested in the ones that bite... like crocodile etc too, even thou prefer the soft & cuddly like parrots & wallabies etc

Been watching Australia's most deadliest attacks on Sky tv, think most people know Australia's got the most deadliest snakes & spiders etc but it's brought home to you that there's loads of insects or animals you don't even think could kill you...

Australians have a longer average life span than any European country except Switzerland, so our deadly animals are obviously not as bad as those European ones. :wink:

I live semi rural and so do see snakes and we get the odd redback. But there actually not an issue. The only down side is that when you go walking in the bush, you cant just head off into the undergrowth, you need to keep to paths. There not really a threat to people. I worry more about my little dog as he would go for one.

Where i am now, is another matter - Nachingwea in Tanzania, it has one of the largest populations of dangerous snakes in the world. One of the guys had an encounter with a puff adder this week

Unfortunately everything is ready to have a go at you.

As you walk out of the airport, all of them will be waiting for you to come out just so they know who to attack next.

It makes you wonder how people can survive here at all.

Seriously though, in 30 years here, I have only seen snakes on our farm or whilst walking in the bush. And they probably only total about 20 anyway. I think in that time I have also seen two red backs and 5 white tails. Never seen a funnel web, but I haven't spent more than a weekend in Sydney anyway.

This doesn't mean you have to be blasé though, you have to be wary whilst out and prepared to react appropriately if you come across any.

As has been commented on numerous times already, it's the feral humans you have to watch out for. Wildlife will only attack if they feel threatened, humans are always doing it for personal gain.

Last thing, I wouldn't want to cuddle a wallaby. That would just be dumb, you would come away from that encounter with many deep, painful scratches.

Parrots, wallabies...soft, cuddly?????? :huh:

Haha I was just messing!! I know quite a few parrots.. & they could take your finger off lol & there supposed to be tame, I do know there all wild'!

Thanks everyone else for posting your all so nice & funny, apart from odd few!! Oh & Wendee well we'll just av to wait & see might just prove you wrong !! Seen as you don't know me at all, no wonder most of your posts have to be edited!!

Guest guest74886
Haha I was just messing!! I know quite a few parrots.. & they could take your finger off lol & there supposed to be tame, I do know there all wild'!

Thanks everyone else for posting your all so nice & funny, apart from odd few!! Oh & Wendee well we'll just av to wait & see might just prove you wrong !! Seen as you don't know me at all, no wonder most of your posts have to be edited!!

The sun is more of a problem than anything.

If you live in the suburbs there is very little which will trouble you tho its wise to not be too blase, but you do need to remember that there is always a risk in any bushland where there are hiding places because they are always around, it's just important not to be too paranoid tho and the spiders are just an everyday companion however big they are and you will become used to them after the first few months if you live outside the cities.

Edited by guest74886