Robo234

Do Friends & Relatives visit you in Australia?

Rarely thank goodness

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

We have been here 4 and a half years and our best friends have visited us twice in that time. No family at all, people have made promises but it never comes to anything as they say they can't afford it. Although they still manage their two weeks all inclusive in Europe every year! Personally I think they don't want to come and see what our lives are like in case it makes them jealous. It used to bother me but now I really don't care. W are off back for our first family visit in a few weeks and amazingly people are expecting us to run around visiting them. It won't be happening, I am going for a relaxing time and if people can't make the effort for us, I won't be making the effort either!

Tracy & Geoff, Oliver (12) and Daisy (7), Visa applied for online 09/1/08, police checks sent 14/2/08 meds 18/1/08, finalised 11/2/08. visa granted 16/7/08, arrived in Perth 12/1/09

So far (four and a half years in) we've just had my sister and her family. My B.I.L. liked the beer and the red meat, but got nervous around the BBQ and missed his Star-Trek DVD Collection. He fitted in well with the Australian blokes though, he doesn't speak unless spoken to and will spend entire sundays on the Auto-Trader website. My sister and the kids liked Sydney but were less keen on the Gold Coast where we were then living. They're veterans of a large number of expensive holidays and were left with the view that Australia doesn't offer particularly good value for money nowadays, compared to the U.S. and Asia. I can't speak to that as I'm a pretty inexperienced traveller, but their chief complaint was that after spending a shed-load to get out to Australia, they had to spend a fortune on food and drink and internal flights whilst here. I think historically Australia has often been perceived as a cheap country by outsiders, but post resources boom the cost of holidaying here has risen.

Otherwise I've had no joy convincing other family and friends to visit. My brother loathes hot weather and Australians, although living in West Yorkshire he's unlikely to encounter too much of either. For my younger sister, living in Eastern Europe gives her all the exposure to casual racism, unrestrained machismo and absence of choice that she needs, without having to get on a plane. None of my mates have refused to visit, they just always seem to be too busy tidying up the garage or laying crazy-paving to make it out here.

​They don't know what they're missing.

We’re the visitors! We try to go every 2 to 3 years but don’t actually stay with family as we prefer the independence of a holiday let. Sometimes, if I’m honest, I do think about the money we spend and how it could be used to visit so many other places in the world that we have yet to see. Australia is a great holiday destination for us, but my OH in particular is starting to question the regularity of the trips. If it weren’t for family living there I doubt we would return, simply because there are too many other great places in the world to discover.

The rest of my UK family are content to keep in touch with occasional phone calls, emails and gifts. I don’t think it has anything to do with envy or resentment on their part, more likely a result of focusing on the ups and downs of their own every day lives. The further the distance and the longer families/ friends are separated, the less common ground there is to share really, ime. It takes effort to stay connected as life moves on for all of us, whichever hemisphere you live in. Tx

Guest guest76088

The beauty of electronic communication of course is that no one really knows where you are. I have been living on a different continent and my family have yet to realise despite my yawning and Hefner-robe worn during the "daytime".

BigD

My best mate visited me within 6 weeks of moving here, which was great (though our furniture hadn't even arrived, we managed to put him up!). Another friend was passing through on a round the world trip and popped in and stayed with us for a week. Next month another friend who's also travelling is visiting us, we hope. 3 visits from friends in our first 6 months is not bad going! However family is a different matter, and i think visits will be rare. I'm getting my head around this but it's just a fact of life. Perhaps i'll visit them in the UK in a few years, at the moment i've no great desire to go back at all for a visit, but that may change.

So far (four and a half years in) we've just had my sister and her family. My B.I.L. liked the beer and the red meat, but got nervous around the BBQ and missed his Star-Trek DVD Collection. He fitted in well with the Australian blokes though, he doesn't speak unless spoken to and will spend entire sundays on the Auto-Trader website. My sister and the kids liked Sydney but were less keen on the Gold Coast where we were then living. They're veterans of a large number of expensive holidays and were left with the view that Australia doesn't offer particularly good value for money nowadays, compared to the U.S. and Asia. I can't speak to that as I'm a pretty inexperienced traveller, but their chief complaint was that after spending a shed-load to get out to Australia, they had to spend a fortune on food and drink and internal flights whilst here. I think historically Australia has often been perceived as a cheap country by outsiders, but post resources boom the cost of holidaying here has risen.

Otherwise I've had no joy convincing other family and friends to visit. My brother loathes hot weather and Australians, although living in West Yorkshire he's unlikely to encounter too much of either. For my younger sister, living in Eastern Europe gives her all the exposure to casual racism, unrestrained machismo and absence of choice that she needs, without having to get on a plane. None of my mates have refused to visit, they just always seem to be too busy tidying up the garage or laying crazy-paving to make it out here. ​They don't know what they're missing.

:laugh:

Best laugh I've had on here in ages. Well done

Guest Guest66881

Our daughter twice a year like clockwork.

Our daughter twice a year like clockwork.

Hopefully that'll be me saying that as my daughter has always said she's not coming, I'm ok with that she's got her Dad here & rest of family too, & maybe just maybe she might make her own way there in a few years

Ellen x

Thanks everyone that's posted on here some fab stories it's given me a good insight to how it'll probably be for us too .. = not that many visitors at all lol but were quite prepared for this anyway & its not like we visit or have visitors all the time here too busy getting on with our own life, our own little family, the five of us x

Ellen x

people are dead boring arent they.i have visited my friend in india twice in four years and friends in russia poland norway malta and the usa. got plans to visit my friend in sri lanka after I move to aus. a friend from a foreign land who can offer free accomodation is an amazing friend to have.

Guest guest76088

I agree with your sentiment, but I couldn't help being reminded of that old saying...

Two kinds of people are important: people that can help you and people that want to give you money...

BigD

people are dead boring arent they.i have visited my friend in india twice in four years and friends in russia poland norway malta and the usa. got plans to visit my friend in sri lanka after I move to aus. a friend from a foreign land who can offer free accomodation is an amazing friend to have.

God this was a depressing thread to read! We have travelled six times in eight years, four to Australia and twice we all met up in Thailand. Daughter has also been back to the UK a few times. Our last two trips to oz have been for two months each time and it didnt even occur to us to stay with our daughter for all that time - we like our own space too! Last year we arranged two house swaps with Australians wanting to visit North Wales and got a months free accomodation in the Northern Beaches (Sydney). Cracking holiday, had some great times on our own too - we want to see our daughter, not handcuff ourselves to her side! She for her part got some time off to go stay in a holiday house with us for a week. It works, it costs less because we arent eating out the whole time and our daughter & partner can have their own space. It all depends how close you are, and what your financial resources are like.

103 visa application lodged February 2013. 143 visa application submitted January 2016. Police checks and form 80 submitted February 29th 2016. Visa granted April 4th 2016.

God this was a depressing thread to read! We have travelled six times in eight years, four to Australia and twice we all met up in Thailand. Daughter has also been back to the UK a few times. Our last two trips to oz have been for two months each time and it didnt even occur to us to stay with our daughter for all that time - we like our own space too! Last year we arranged two house swaps with Australians wanting to visit North Wales and got a months free accomodation in the Northern Beaches (Sydney). Cracking holiday, had some great times on our own too - we want to see our daughter, not handcuff ourselves to her side! She for her part got some time off to go stay in a holiday house with us for a week. It works, it costs less because we arent eating out the whole time and our daughter & partner can have their own space. It all depends how close you are, and what your financial resources are like.

I like the idea of a house swap. How do go about organising that?

Lou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IELTS Academic 9 - 12/01/2013 | Skills (CPA) submitted 15/02/2013 approved 14/03/2013 | EOI 23/03/2013 | Visa Invite 1/4/2013, submitted 4/4/2013 | CO 28/04/2013 | PCC loaded 18/05/2013 | meds 28/05/2015 uploaded 04/06/2013 | VISA grant 06/06/2013

:jiggy:

We have broadcasted to Oh's family and all our friends that there is a granny flat waiting for visitors.

In nearly 4 years one of the Oh's best friends has come over once for 3 days, her brother for 10 days and her parents twice.

mind you, the parents come over for 2 months at a time and don't use it to travel at all. They have the opportunity to do so but claim they are only here to see us. But there can be too much of a good thing. It would be great if they stayed a few weeks, travelled for a few weeks, stayed, travelled , etc. but they won't.

Hi Lou 8670

There are several house swap sites around most seem to be organised in similar ways. We use HomeLink holiday swaps (not to be confused with a different homelink for swapping house rentals).

It was £100 to join for the year (Probably about 120 by now) and you get to put an advert on the site with photos and blurb about the neighbourhood. You only get contact details if you are a member of the site.

Pros:- we arranged a non-simultaneous swap so we could be around while the swappers were here - didnt fanct being all that way away if anything went wrong

Free accomodation plus in our case we got quite friendly with one set of swappers and still hear from them.

Live like a local, own shopping and cooking and eat out when you want to, not because you have to.

Cons:- Leap of faith involved - you are letting strangers borrow your house. We dont have anything really valuable so didnt worry about belongings but did cancel the post for two weeks (you can have it held at the PO for two weeks in the UK - costs about £25). We also took ALL our paperwork, together with lap top and net book to my mothers for the duration.

MUST CHECK YOUR HOUSE INSURANCE TO MAKE SURE ITS ALLOWED

Lot of cleaning and getting the house ready.

On the whole? Well worth doing - we reckon that our house saved us about £3000 in rental fees. (minimum).

103 visa application lodged February 2013. 143 visa application submitted January 2016. Police checks and form 80 submitted February 29th 2016. Visa granted April 4th 2016.

PS would I do it again? YES!

In the 4yrs and 7 months we've been here we've had my mum 3 times and she'll be here again this July and we've had DH's parents 3 times and DH's mum on her own once. My brother has been once too and before DH's brother emigrated, he also came for a visit.

We have also been back to the UK 3 times! Wow, that's quite a lot now that I count it all up!

If you're feeling restless (like we are) then having so many visitors and trips back can actually make things harder. After my mum and MIL's last visits in October and November, I got really depressed. DH's parents were supposed to come out again in March but decided against it...they have the money and the time but we think they've put off because they saw how down I was after the last lot of goodbyes :( ...they really don't want us to move back and give us the doom and gloom stories of the UK, but my family would love us to come back, especially now that there are grandchildren.

Subclass 309 (de-facto spouse) sent off 09/02/08

Case officer and Meds/police check requested 26/02/08

VISA GRANTED!!! 17/04/08

Arrived 15/09/08

Hoping to return to Blighty in 2014

Guest littlesarah

None of my family have been able to visit - with the strength of the dollar vs. the pound it's just too expensive for my sister to bring her family here, and my mother hates flying. But I came here knowing that it would be unlikely that my folks would be able to visit for at least 5 years (and my parents may very well never make it), so while we can afford to do so, we use up most of our holidays every 18 months or so and visit the UK instead.

We've had one friend visit - but all our friends have children and we know how expensive it is to come here, especially at peak times. One of my really good friends is thinking of visiting for his honeymoon, but we'll see what happens there.

None of my family have been able to visit - with the strength of the dollar vs. the pound it's just too expensive for my sister to bring her family here, and my mother hates flying. But I came here knowing that it would be unlikely that my folks would be able to visit for at least 5 years (and my parents may very well never make it), so while we can afford to do so, we use up most of our holidays every 18 months or so and visit the UK instead.

We've had one friend visit - but all our friends have children and we know how expensive it is to come here, especially at peak times. One of my really good friends is thinking of visiting for his honeymoon, but we'll see what happens there.

Were thinking already that this is more than likely like our family may get very rare few year visit of my parents & maybe one other friend of relative once in 4or 5 years too, it'll be us that will go back every other year or so.., so think were been realistic, which will hopefully save us some heartache. I always think it's good to know & good to be realistic x

Ellen x

Guest GeorgeD

We've just had my wife's two sisters leave after being with us for nearly a month. For one of them it was her thrid trip (and first for 4 years), the other it was her first time. My wife has been here 5.5 years.

In the 2.5 years I've been here I've had 2 of my cousins visit...they came within 6 months of my arrival. They wanted to visit Oz and me moving made them do something about it. It was somewhere they had wanted to see. They won't be back, but that's Ok, it was really nice to see them and helped a bit with a wave of homesickness.

My Dad has been here twice. He's in his late 70s. Health and finances will soon put a stop to his trips.

No other friends and family have visited. Everyone had great plans to visit, but none of them really have. To be fair, I've not been great at keeping in touch either...the more I keep in touch with home, the more homesick I feel. I can only be in one place at one time, so being away from the Uk means everyone I knew there is moving on with their lives, same as me, and things change...the links we had get less and less strong. It's nobody's fault, and it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Very few people have family and friends who have the finances, health or even willingness to visit regularly year after year. It would be nice if a few more of them did it even just once, but be prepared for lots of promises and very little actions...

That's a big fat NO from me.................after 5 years...........not one single Visitor.............just call me Billy......Billy No Mates :)

LojaChica x :smile:Arrived May 2008.................

PR Granted Apr11 Citizenship Granted Jan13......Moved to Andalucía Jul13

That's a big fat NO from me.................after 5 years...........not one single Visitor.............just call me Billy......Billy No Mates :)

Ahhhh bless you big ((hugs)) lol, & thanks for posting everyone's stories/life is different it's nice to here everyone's

Ellen x

Take heart..even my parents have stopped visiting, citing their dislike of long haul travel.

Which funnily enough hasn't stopped them going on holiday to S Africa the last 2 years running....

My Brain Hurts!

Nobody has been over since we moved here almost three years ago. It is either too much for people financially or a bit too much physically, that is family, we didn't have any really close friends that we thought would come out, actually the closest moved here themselves 12 months before us so we have caught up down here.

I sometimes get aggrieved that those that could come have not yet, but then I remind myself that we moved, our choice not their choice. And I have been telling my OH recently that I think we need to start to make sure we budget to go back to visit on a regular basis, because the onus is more on us.