aduffield76

Parktone Primary School

Hi all

Can anyone recommend a good primary school around Mentone, Parkdale, baumaris, mordi areas?

We will be arriving early Jan and need to get my 4 and 7 year olds enrolled in a school whilst still in the uk......Any help advice on areas would be appreciated.

​Thanks Sarah

Moving to Melbourne
ACS
17th May 2012
IELTS
L8.5
R8.5 W7.5 S9.0 O8.5
Vic SS
27th June 2012
submitted 28th June 2012
Visa GRANTED
14th Sept 2012
:cool:

Hi Sarah

you may find it hard to enrol while still in the UK especially if the school is zoned unless you have a proof of address. I personally would want to visit a school and talk to the principal first before enrolling. A lot of schools have quite a different focus, some may be very academic and another more into arts and drama for example. A school we visited while very academic, with an excellent reputation, also had a VERY high ethnic ratio and my son did not wish to go there as he felt he would stand out too much. The school he is at now did not have zoning as it is brand new but the cultural mix is more balanced.

To be honest I would wait and see where you will end up living and look at schools nearby - it won't take long and if the kids miss the odd day at the beginning of term it won't really matter. HTH - good luck with the move.

Think I saw a poster called Buzzy Bee mention he was on the board of a Parkdale primary. Maybe ask them through PM?

Hi, I was on the school council of Parkdale primary, I'm not this year, stepping back for a year, my wife is very involved with the parents association.

Parkdale Primary and Parktone Primary are a great example of why Naplan results mean nothing. Parktone was a dreadful school a few years ago. Then a new headteacher came in 3 years ago and made some major changes. As a result the school now has 190 pupils, 90 of whom are in prep! Parktone is getting great Naplan results and as a result people are choosing to send their kids there by the bucketload. But - kids who are unlikely to pass Naplan just don't take it or they are "coached" through Naplan. So some school's results are skewed by the fact that the only kids taking the exam are those who are going to pass it.

I recommend you visit the schools and get a feel for them. Parkdale is an excellent school, also the biggest primary school. Parktone is much smaller and has much nicer grounds than Parkdale, but almost all its teachers are on their first teaching gig. Mordialloc Beach is not so popular. Mentone Park is small and supposed be good, Mentone primary is supposed to be good but they were going to zone so you may not be able to get in there if they have done this.

The most important thing is for you to get a feel for the school yourselves and make an informed choice.

BB

Edited by buzzy--bee

MELBOURNE SHORT TERM ACCOMMODATION - FURNISHED SELF-CONTAINED STUDIO APARTMENT AVAILABLE -

walk to shops, beach and station. Ideal for new immigrants before you find a long-term rental. PM me for further details.

And to add to that - you say you have a 4 and 7 year old. The 4 year old may not go to school, they may go to 4 year old kinder at that age.

BB

MELBOURNE SHORT TERM ACCOMMODATION - FURNISHED SELF-CONTAINED STUDIO APARTMENT AVAILABLE -

walk to shops, beach and station. Ideal for new immigrants before you find a long-term rental. PM me for further details.

Hi,

My daughter goes to Parktone and loves it, she's five. I find the teachers totally focused on the kids and ensuring they have a well rounded education.

I managed to get both my daughters enrolled in their schools from the UK, visited as soon as we arrived and completed the essential paperwork. It wasn't easy but can be done.

PM me if you'd like more info.

​K