Grocery prices - UK vs Australia from our recent reccie

SaffanZimbo

Guest Geordee

I can vouch for the Perth prices as I have 4 young uns and never seem to be out of the supermarket. However, there are always LOTS of specials in the supermarkets and I dare say that I wouldn't pay the normal price for a lot of the things on the list. For example, there are almost always hair products on a special of 30-50% off, which makes a big difference to the price and also a 24 cube of cans; I would probs pay $12-15 on special. So yes that's what the price is, but...... mostly you wouldn't pay that price.

However, I do agree that Perth food prices are ridiculous and a lot more expensive than the UK, but the spreadsheet does make them appear more inflated than they actually are if you were in real life doing a shop.

But thanks to the OP for doing it and posting it ;)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris955
Kevin McCloud really isn't an expert on construction - this is just nonsense. Concrete pours always get done in one go, that's, errr, sort of the point. I've personally supervised a 1600m concrete pour in the UK about 15 years ago, took 20 hours to get it in using 3 pumps

​Yes Ive seen a few times were he says something like 'try getting that done in the UK' when in fact it is perfectly normal.

Guest chris955
I can vouch for the Perth prices as I have 4 young uns and never seem to be out of the supermarket. However, there are always LOTS of specials in the supermarkets and I dare say that I wouldn't pay the normal price for a lot of the things on the list. For example, there are almost always hair products on a special of 30-50% off, which makes a big difference to the price and also a 24 cube of cans; I would probs pay $12-15 on special. So yes that's what the price is, but...... mostly you wouldn't pay that price.

However, I do agree that Perth food prices are ridiculous and a lot more expensive than the UK, but the spreadsheet does make them appear more inflated than they actually are if you were in real life doing a shop.

​And in fairness lots of the UK prices quoted are more than we pay.

I wouldn't bother bringing tubs with you. They are pretty cheap in somewhere like Bunnings.

Good luck with growing veggies though, I reckon they would take some work as the sun, lack of rain and poor soil quality can mean they dry up pretty quick. I honestly can't see why anyone within reach of shops would bother growing veggies. We have an IGA across the road which is open from 7:00am till 8:00pm and there veggies are so really good. It's not even worth buying in bulk as I find fresh veggies so much better and people tend to buy too much and and up throwing half of the stuff away when it's been in the fridge too long.

I love growing plants and have a very active herb garden. I must admit on occasion my tomato plants drive OH to the brink of despair as I plant 100 seeds and get about 70 plants...... so our neighbours also benefit from the crop!

I'll probably leave the tubs behind and start on a smaller scale when we get to Perth once I know how much time I'll have on my hands... was hoping to be a stay at home mum but cost of living probably means I need to go out to work if we ever want to buy a house...

There is always offers in Coles. A few months ago they had the huge pump bottles of Pantene Shampoo and conditioner 750mls for $7.99, half price so I bought 4 of each, lasts for months. Toothpaste and brushes the other week were $1 each. 500gms of standard mince is always $3, makes good Spag Bol, own brand pasta $1 - how much cheaper can you get.

Costco have great prices on imported food items (and everything else). Qld are getting a Costco, hope WA does as well.

They've been promising a Brisbane Costco for several years now but it hasn't yet materialised. However, even if was there I'd certainly used it for lots of things but not imported produce. I genuinely prefer to buy in season and local!

Guest Ptp113
They've been promising a Brisbane Costco for several years now but it hasn't yet materialised. However, even if was there I'd certainly used it for lots of things but not imported produce. I genuinely prefer to buy in season and local!

Costco won court case a few days ago for Qld store.

Guest Geordee
​And in fairness lots of the UK prices quoted are more than we pay.

That's good to know and balances each other out a bit.

Funny - used to live next door to a load of old drunks in Maylands Perth who had about ten mature vines. Heaps of sweet red grapes. They just used to let them rot on the vines. We used to go through the fence and nick bucket loads. After the drunks left, I moved in, and never wasted a single grape. Those were the days.

Yep and have a large vine growing in my garden full em them every year.

Kevin McCloud really isn't an expert on construction - this is just nonsense. Concrete pours always get done in one go, that's, errr, sort of the point. I've personally supervised a 1600m concrete pour in the UK about 15 years ago, took 20 hours to get it in using 3 pumps

I know they have to be done in one go and so does Kevin. He made a point of saying that in the program, especially in the Spanish heat. He might not be an expert in construction but he's a good presenter for the show.

Yep and have a large vine growing in my garden full em them every year.

That's one of the things that grows without any help. We have a grapevine that we hack back every year and think we've killed it. It comes back with a vengeance and we always get a few bunches off it.

I know they have to be done in one go and so does Kevin. He made a point of saying that in the program, especially in the Spanish heat. He might not be an expert in construction but he's a good presenter for the show.

​I like him too. It's his suggestion it wouldn't have been done in the UK that's cobblers