Bouncy

Port kennedy? decent place for a young family to start off??

Hi there! I've been doing lots of research regarding areas to Move to when we eventually migrate to perth from the u.k. We are a family of 4, 2 young boys, 2.5 years and 6 months. I'm a nurse so have been taking into account commute times and of course rental prices. Have seen a few nice places in port kennedy within our price range 400 to 500 per week. It will be just me working initially so don't want to stretch ourselves too much. We aren't a couple who needs nightlife or fancy restaurants, just some places for the odd family meal out and plenty to do for the kids. Amenities close enough, decent schools, a nice beach and a safe community. Does Port Kennedy fit the bill? I know it's all down to personal opinion on whether a place is good or bad , but would like to hear any views or info on this and the surrounding areas.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!

Bouncy, I cant give you any advice as I'm probably behind you in planning, however I will be a relatively newly trained nurse when I emigrate, the only one working and have 3 children and Port Kennedy seemed to be where most the houses I liked within my budget was too. I don't know what the facilities, safety, schools etc are so will be interested in the replies!

IELTS L9.0 R9.0 W8.0 S8.0 AHPRA 13.2.15 ANMAC LOD 31.3.15 Interview QLD Health Job offer & relocation package 30.3.15 189 PR applied 15.4.15 (medicals 7.5.15) CO contact 03.06.15 Visa Grant 06.07.15

Heading to Townsville 16.9.15

Hi jac2011, I haven't even started the process yet, just doing all the research first, it feels like a minefield out there! Alot of pressure to make a good choice for our children! When do you plan on making the big move? Nice to know others are thinking the same about this area! Let's hope someone with some insider info can help us out! Good luck with it all!!

Port Kennedy is a nice sleepy suburb. My father in law lives there and we are currently living with him while we get ourselves sorted. Have been here a few times previously on visits.

In my opinion the best thing about PK is the beaches, beautiful long white sandy, clear ocean for as far as the eye can see.

There are plenty of supermarkets, take aways etc around. Its close to Rockingham that has a large shopping centre, restaurants and the odd pub! Unfortunately can't comment on schools etc as dont have kids but friends kids go to the local schools and all seem happy.

I would say it would suit families with young children, plenty of space for kids to play, park areas, beaches and the streets are quiet. Its probably not much fun when you 17/18!!

The buses are pretty good and the train line goes to Warnbro, its great. So easy to go into Perth and not expensive either. Definietly a plus for the area.

VETASSESS lodged 17/03/12. Received 21/05/12. IELTS 12/04/12 Overall 9. WA SS lodged 05/06/12. Approved 11/06/12. 176 Lodged 18/06/12. CO 10/07/12 Meds 02/07/12. PCC 31/07/12. Visa granted 16/08/12. Fly 18/03/13

Port Kennedy (PK) is really nice and very family focused! Doesnt seem to be any trouble and everyone seems very nice. I myself dont live there but we have a few friends that do! :)

I would say Port Kennedy is OK for families. It's an older suburb that means some properties are now looking their age however it also means that you gat a bigger property on a bigger block. The issue with PK can be its proximity to Warnbro which does have quite a lot of crime. The road from Hungry Jacks too the foreshore is riddled with rubber doughnut tyre marks so obviously there is an issue there. I've friends that live there and are happy , also the foreshore has recently been done up and has a new boat ramp and the water is calmer for little ones with very little waves. The beach also has its very own nudist part and they have had a problem with dogging in the sand dunes. I have friends that send their children to Endeavour Primary but in all honesty I've not heard anything particularly good or bad except to say that it was recently set on fire and had to close for a while. If it were me I'd look at neighbouring Baldivis or Secret Harbour before Port Kennedy but its horses for courses don't make your mind up until you come and have a good look.

Thanks everyone, your description sounds perfect! Just what Id be looking for.

Bouncy, as you can see from my sig I cant even apply yet. I'm hoping to apply for APHRA 3 months after securing a role. We've been working towards this for such a long time after so many ppl told us we could never do it. We feel so close now! How long have you been looking?

My first choice of locations would be QLD however the staffing situation for nurses isn't looking very good, WA is a close second so I'm trying to research both areas so we are ready to just apply nearer the time. We would like a 189 visa so we have the safety of PR for our family, it also means we will be entitled to other benefits whilst we settle to allow DH to stay home with the kids and help them adjust to their new lives.

IELTS L9.0 R9.0 W8.0 S8.0 AHPRA 13.2.15 ANMAC LOD 31.3.15 Interview QLD Health Job offer & relocation package 30.3.15 189 PR applied 15.4.15 (medicals 7.5.15) CO contact 03.06.15 Visa Grant 06.07.15

Heading to Townsville 16.9.15

We live in PK the PK primary school is very poor we took our son out and put him in Living Waters. Warnbro High has just been on the news for organised fights !!!. Just watch the area of PK you rent in, we rented on Kerver ave its ok around there, if you rent around Trail/Pimento circ its like Beirut. Pls do your home work.

Regards LL

Hi all! Thanks for all that info! It's really helpful to get an insiders view. Think it's a toss up between pk and secret harbour, we like the look of the schools there. Definitely best to have a good look round when we eventually get there! Have to keep reminding myself everywhere has its undesirable areas, we live right next to one but our area is lovely and sought after, so trying not to be put off until we can have a good look! Although organised fights sounds scary, think we'll be giving warnbro a wide birth!

Jac2011, hi, I've been looking at migrating for years too, then met my husband settled and had kids, now I think my husband also fancies the outdoor lifestyle, for our boys. We are treating this as a bit of an adventure! Not necessarily forever but if we love it we'll stay, if not we'll enjoy it while it lasts then come back! Less pressure that way I think! there is a new hospital being built in Murdoch so hefully they'll need plenty of nurses!

Good luck with the rest of your course, it will be over in a flash! X

Hi. I have lived in Port Kennedy for 8 months now. Daughter 8 is at Port Kennedy primary with no problems., son 13 at Warnbro high, yes it's been in the paper regarding fights recently, but more to do with the fact it was filmed via video phone, there's no more fighting here,than there was when I was at school years ago, just more evidence nowadays. Endeavor primary does not have any fencing around it and anyone can walk up to the classrooms. That's why my daughter doesn't go there. The beach is fab- not been to the nudist area!! Secret harbour is also lovely but the beach is for surfers, not little kids.

I've herd rumours that a new hospital is being built south of here with 200+ nurses jobs? Not sure when that'll be though.

Hi. I have lived in Port Kennedy for 8 months now. Daughter 8 is at Port Kennedy primary with no problems., son 13 at Warnbro high, yes it's been in the paper regarding fights recently, but more to do with the fact it was filmed via video phone, there's no more fighting here,than there was when I was at school years ago, just more evidence nowadays. Endeavor primary does not have any fencing around it and anyone can walk up to the classrooms. That's why my daughter doesn't go there. The beach is fab- not been to the nudist area!! Secret harbour is also lovely but the beach is for surfers, not little kids.

I've herd rumours that a new hospital is being built south of here with 200+ nurses jobs? Not sure when that'll be though.

Your referring to Peel Hospital in Mandurah. It's going to be vastly increased in size I believe it's got a massive funding boost because of the growing population in Mandurah. Port Kennedy residents would be closer to Rocky Hospital I'd have thought.

I also would keep an eye on Golden Bay, Singleton and Madora Bay as places to settle. They are older suburbs and are more "worn in" and Singleton Primary has a good reputation too.

Sue (44) Steve (51) Scott (17) Bradley (9) Sophie (5)

Jake - Little Ozzie Angel:angel_happy_face_ha

Spouse visa (PR) granted 17.4.09. In Secret Harbour 29.4.09..loving it!!!!!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We stayed there for 3 weeks and we really liked it, it was very quiet though and the beach was lovely very shallow water, with hardly anyone there, we loved it. I think we stayed on Grand Ocean Boulevard, something like that, about 300 metres to the beach. There was a shopping centre about 5km away going towards Rockingham and ...... We came across a pub, but we didn't go in it. We loved Rockingham, there was outdoor barbecues and play areas for young kids, a sprinkling of resteraunts, I think I saw a nightclub, we had a lovely meal overlooking the sea and beach. We really liked it, we had a game if golf at the Rockingham course and the wife had a look round the hospital, there was a swimming centre that was great, the kids loved that as well. TBH it was a bit too quiet for us, we want a bit more going on for our kids, but it was a really nice place, especially for young families.