One step at a time...

Peaches1990

Hello all,

First of all would like to say how awesome is this forum, it has already answered so many of our questions regarding visas and migration. Thumbs up! :)

We're a fairly young couple from Felixstowe, UK - hoping to move to Oz. We went on a recce holiday to Oz and Nz in Nov 2012, and after spending 6 amazing weeks out there we're now 100% sure it's the place to be. My partner James(25) works as an electrical craftsman here in UK and would come under a Electrician (Special Class) on the skills list, therefore he would be the main applicant and I'm hoping to go out there as a partner on his visa. Ideally we want to get the 189 visa, however assuming we get superior results in his English test to get the extra points, we're just scraping away with 60 points, therefore we have also been considering a 190 Visa and here's where I get the first question. For the 190 visa does your skill needs to be on state skills list, because after having a closer look I can find the Electrician (General) but not the special class one. Would it still be worth selecting states for 190 visa when placing EOI?

I (23) on the other hand haven't got a skill they need, hence hoping to go out there on James visa, so far so good, but...He has British passport as he's been here all his life, however mine is Latvian as I only moved here in 2005. Would it affect our visa in any way? We've been together for over 4 years and have plenty of proof and stuff. Also my passport expires September, 2013, would it be better to renew it before applying for a visa?

Also James has to do a TRA skills assessment, I gather these don't expire so technically he could do it now, but can anyone confirm that I got it right?

And finally I seem to get really confused about the medicals. Do you have to do any before lodging your visa or do you just wait till they ask you to do it?

Overall we're rather excited about it all, but want to get it right first time round. Oh and we also have a 5 year old Schnauzer cross who would most likely be coming to Oz with us :)

Welcome to PIO

States will only sponsor if your occupation is on their list, you can select 190, but most states you apply directly to.

You being from Latvia will not affect his application, but you will need to prove functional english. http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/functional-english/

IELTS for seconday applicants needs to be less than 12 months old.

Medicals can not be done until after the application has been lodged, as you need the TRA number for the medical center as it is done by ehealth so they need to find you on their system so your medicals are linked to your application.