How bad is the flight really?

Westbound

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forgot to mention in my earlier post, supplies!

ear plugs,

comfy small pillow (the airline ones vary, why take the chance)

slippers, or wear thick socks.

more ear plugs (in case you drop one)

as soon as the seatbelt sign goes off so should your shoes!

do all you can to convince yourself your not sitting in a pipe hurtling through the sky, sleep loads :)

don't worry bout this extra baggage, on most airlines each passenger is entitled to a carry on bag and laptop bag. (for laptop bag read small rucksack style) load any kids you have with you up like mules. job done :)

If you're one of those people who can fall asleep on a clothes line, its fine.

However, if, like me, you're one of those people who never, ever sleeps on planes, hates having smelly bastards elbows in your face, always gets off a plane with a broken neck and bird flu symptoms, and are generally irritable, it's absolutely horrendous.

Make sure you have an ipad, a neck pillow, some knock-out drops and don't drink booze unless you enjoy severe dehydration.

Really? Never again?? I mean to say, get real. Imagine the stresses the poor dears feel when they have to deal with living in a foreign country, hazard a taste of vegemite, sample the strange chocolate, miss their UK TV programs - and then they can't fly back to dear old Blighty, poor dears.

No - never going back. Too frightful coping with those awful pommy accents and nasty unhealthy food.

We flew with emirates back at Easter 2012. Uk - Dubai - sydney on the way out with a380 on the sydney leg which was fantastic. Way back was melbourne - Dubai - uk on 777s. Family of 4 with 5 and 9 years olds at that time. Flights were great with more than enough entertainment, plenty of food and drinks and the time passed fine. If we needed extra drinks or anything we went to the galley area and politely asked, and the staff couldn't be better. My oldest son even got a quick tour of upstairs on the A380. On the way back I upgraded my wife to business for the Dubai to uk leg and the boys and I stayed in the back. Nice way to finish the trip for her.

when we arrived back in the uk, I could have quite happily got back on the plane and taken the flights again.

its all in the approach you take I think. You're going to be on there for quite a while. Accept it, sit back, relax, which some movies, bite to eat, something to drink, some shut eye, and you'll be there at the other end soon.

Really? Never again?? I mean to say, get real. Imagine the stresses the poor dears feel when they have to deal with living in a foreign country, hazard a taste of vegemite, sample the strange chocolate, miss their UK TV programs - and then they can't fly back to dear old Blighty, poor dears.

Strange chocolate that actually has chocolate (cocoa solids) in it, unlike pommy vegolate. Poor dears indeed......

No - never going back. Too frightful coping with those awful pommy accents and nasty unhealthy food.

One of which you presumably once had, along with a diet you presumably once ate, before you learned the error of your ways and moved to God's Country where presumably everybody enunciates beautifully and where it's illegal to serve mediocre food?

Have Australians become the greatest snobs on the planet, a nation so relentlessly pleased with themselves that they run the risk of choking to death upon their own locally sourced ('Proudly Austrayan') Barramundi and frozen chips, washed down with an organic, skinny de-caf Machiato, artfully created by a fully qualified Barista?

And I thought us Brits, with our archaic class system and fading self-worth were the elitists in this relationship?!. Obviously not:wink:

I find it okay, have travelled twice with a little one and we pre-warned her that it took a whole day to arrive and she was behaved. (She slept loads). Once seat belt sign goes off the shoes go off. I also check out what videos there are to watch and if say I will watch a film, eat, watch a tv show and close eyes, repeat. I struggling falling asleep for more then an hour at a time unfortunately, but last time when I flew back from Auckland I was on the airbus which was lovely. The seats are bigger then short haul flights but I wouldn't say its the most comfortable thing. I always take a pillow too but haven't had any problems with the airline one's either. If you can afford it an overnight stay approx half way would be good. Unfortunately I have had 4 hours transit, but have used air miles on Auckland trip to get myself into the business lounge at Kuala lumpar to have a shower which was fantastic as it made me feel fresh for the next leg.

I'd say just mentally prepare yourself and it's fine.

My husband loves the flying part! He would happily spend the whole trip staring out the window at the terrain. Night or day he loves seeing the world go by below him. He keeps poking me (I get the middle seat!) to show me something! I switch off my favourite TV shows to say 'yes dear'. :)

He is off by himself next week for a 2 week trip to activate his visa, and I think the flight is the best part for him. He also loves planes, so I have managed to get one leg upgraded on points, so he has spent the last week investigating all the features of his seat and the service to expect. It's quite sweet really.

I don't mind the trip. I've done it at least 20 times return, although recently more often at least one leg up the front of the plane. I don't love it, but with a relaxed attitude, a pillow, a change of clothes and lots of TV to watch it passes easily enough. I've recently got my hands on some proper sleeping pills, so next time should be even easier (although... hopefully will be with a newborn.. so maybe not!)

[/b]

One of which you presumably once had, along with a diet you presumably once ate, before you learned the error of your ways and moved to God's Country where presumably everybody enunciates beautifully and where it's illegal to serve mediocre food?

Have Australians become the greatest snobs on the planet, a nation so relentlessly pleased with themselves that they run the risk of choking to death upon their own locally sourced ('Proudly Austrayan') Barramundi and frozen chips, washed down with an organic, skinny de-caf Machiato, artfully created by a fully qualified Barista?

And I thought us Brits, with our archaic class system and fading self-worth were the elitists in this relationship?!. Obviously not:wink:

Who pulled your chain?

I flew Oz to UK for a week-end once and then back to Oz and thought nothing of it......BUT.....I was on my own (ie. no kids). I find it tiresome the older I get but there are far worse things in life!!!!

Yeah, like visiting Blighty in the first place!

I flew Oz to UK for a week-end once and then back to Oz and thought nothing of it......BUT.....I was on my own (ie. no kids). I find it tiresome the older I get but there are far worse things in life!!!!

Just possibly to make you feel better I am almost 70 (not sure how that has happened!) and still fly long haul at least twice a year and cope, as do many of our friends who are considerably older, so there is hope, but do prefer to break the journey. We are lucky as ex expats we have useful friends in stop over places.

You beat me, I flew to OZ for a week for a quick visit a couple of times, but as ex airline I spent a lot of time in the air, so it didn't bother me.

reference jet lag, there are all sorts of potential cures. I can only say as a veteran of long haul flights, some times I have suffered badly, and other times been absolutely fine, so if I knew the answer I would have bottled it and made a fortune.

Is it true that jetlag is worse in one direction than the other?

Just possibly to make you feel better I am almost 70 (not sure how that has happened!) and still fly long haul at least twice a year and cope, as do many of our friends who are considerably older, so there is hope, but do prefer to break the journey. We are lucky as ex expats we have useful friends in stop over places.

You beat me, I flew to OZ for a week for a quick visit a couple of times, but as ex airline I spent a lot of time in the air, so it didn't bother me.

reference jet lag, there are all sorts of potential cures. I can only say as a veteran of long haul flights, some times I have suffered badly, and other times been absolutely fine, so if I knew the answer I would have bottled it and made a fortune.

Is it true that jetlag is worse in one direction than the other?[

As far as I know flying east is supposed to be worse, and I was basing my reply on how I used to feel landing back in Brunei, from UK often at least 6 times a year. I have never really had a problem flying back to UK, honestly find one good nights sleep flying west and I am fine.

Also the more flights flown, the more accepting of the flight I became, as there was no real alternative mode of travel, so I just switch off, for the length of the flight, unless the child from hell is sitting behind me kicking the seat!!!!

This year we flew up to visit my family in Germany in January and jetlag was really bad. We usually fly in June or July which means it's summer time up there and much more sunlight. The winter in Germany was not that bad, just a couple of days with minus ten and snow while we were there but when we came back down here we had jetlag for almost two weeks. We used to feel jetlagged for about one week only, however, when flying in June/July. So I suppose it's because the time difference is just bigger right now (10 hours for Germany).

As for the flights as such, the flights up via Singapore where pretty rough this time. We had tons of turbulence. The whole time from Mel to Sin (7 hours) the plane was jumping up and down due to bad weather and then again quite a bit of bumping on the second leg Sin to Fra due to the jetstream above India and Pakistan (about three to four hours). We always fly the same airline (Singapore Airlines) and the same journey so by now we know where the bad spots are. But I still take my pills if it is getting too bad for me (I have got bad fear of flying). I never feel sick in my stomach just extremely anxious. Well,there's not much I can do 'cause I wanna live in Australia still.

Edited by marta

Guest BrisbaneBevan

I loved the flight. Done the back and to 4 times in one year. Flown with Etihad, Singapore, Virgin, Qantas, BA and all were good. Even managed wifi at 40,000 feet for 20 bucks on one leg. Great to chill out and watch movies, sup a wine and relax. Flown on my own, and with the family also. Tend to go over Abu Dhabi or Singapore, KL and do the whole trip in one stretch to get it over with. Always found jet lag harder going east, which is contrary to most people. Note, I have always gone cattle class too. Choose a bulkhead seat and you don't get some little $* kicking your chair. Avoid sitting by the toilets also!

I haven't read the whole post so sorry if his has already been mentioned.

when I fly long haul I suffer from badly swollen ankles. The last time we flew to Sydney (last March) my ankles swelled so much that the skin was taught like a drum. I make sure I have loose fitting sandals as I have trouble getting my shoes back on. In ordinary life my ankles are fine, they only swell on these long haul flights.

I loved the flight. Done the back and to 4 times in one year. Flown with Etihad, Singapore, Virgin, Qantas, BA and all were good. Even managed wifi at 40,000 feet for 20 bucks on one leg. Great to chill out and watch movies, sup a wine and relax. Flown on my own, and with the family also. Tend to go over Abu Dhabi or Singapore, KL and do the whole trip in one stretch to get it over with. Always found jet lag harder going east, which is contrary to most people. Note, I have always gone cattle class too. Choose a bulkhead seat and you don't get some little $* kicking your chair. Avoid sitting by the toilets also!

r u from new zealand originally?

I will try that thanks as I sometimes suffer really badly and ears can be painful for a day or two after. At what point do you take the sudafed ahead of descent?

oh bless u. I used to suffer so much I almost stopped going on hols so I do understand. Never been a problem since ;-) so intructions are....

take sudafed at least 2 hours before descent but I just did 5 hours before and was still ok. Liquid sudafed for kids over 6 as tablets cant b taken til 12 yrs old. But also do u know how to equalise yours ears? Hold your nose with thumb and fingers and blow out through nose constantly blowing harder til u feel crackling in one ear then the other ear will crackle shortly after. Practise it now before u fly. Then do it every 5 mins thru descent. Start doing it before your ears start to hurt and dont b scared to do it. :-)