How bad is the flight really?

Westbound

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest30085
Even the first half an hour in the cab is to the airport is tortuous,and dont mention queuing in the airport! and people enjoy this?! masochists?

All part of it Pabs, you just have to keep thinking about the destination you are heading to, and realise it's just a few hours out of your life in discomfort (unless you are heading somewhere you really don't want to go).

All part of it Pabs, you just have to keep thinking about the destination you are heading to, and realise it's just a few hours out of your life in discomfort (unless you are heading somewhere you really don't want to go).

Yeah well,i feel better already now:wubclub:,i'll overlook the fact its 8 hrs and 13hrs,not a few:no:,that i dont sleep ONE wink,that i just pace round the toilet block all night,that i cant have a drink,because it will make me want a ciggy even more,that i have to queue for hours,weigh cases in,also that i know, i WILL be sitting next to the biggest pie arse ever seen on an international flight

Cant wait now,enjoy your flights,yer loons:wacko:

Guest guest30085
Yeah well,i feel better already now:wubclub:,i'll overlook the fact its 8 hrs and 13hrs,not a few:no:,that i dont sleep ONE wink,that i just pace round the toilet block all night,that i cant have a drink,because it will make me want a ciggy even more,that i have to queue for hours,weigh cases in,also that i know, i WILL be sitting next to the biggest pie arse ever seen on an international flight

Cant wait now,enjoy your flights,yer loons:wacko:

Aye, you have a point :yes:

But it could be worse, you could be sat next to another version of you, nothing worse than someone complaining all the way through the flight and pacing up and down like a loon :laugh:

:wubclub:

Aye, you have a point :yes:

But it could be worse, you could be sat next to another version of you, nothing worse than someone complaining all the way through the flight and pacing up and down like a loon :laugh:

:wubclub:

They threw the mould away when they made me,fortunately for others! i dont complain btw,i get on the plane and view it the same way a Russian dissident would on entering a Siberian Gulag,that way things cant be any worse

I just sit there and suffer in silence,well,maybe the odd look of pure hatred and malevolence at those happily snoring away,a slight nudge on their elbow off the arm rest on the way to the toilet block circuit ;)

Im due to fly back to the Uk again in August, im looking forward to walking around Dubai airport like a zombie in search of flesh. Then to arrive at Birmingham feeling like the 'living dead', haha!. The Emirates 18 hr flight has never been a joy in my opinion. But, im excited at the prospect of flying.

its a shame you only have 2 hours for the stop over. we inadvertently worked out how to do melbourne to the uk cattle class with no jetlag and hit the ground running on our last trip over a few weeks back.

1. get into or as close to the destination time zone before you leave. lots of late nights :)

2. book in a 4+ hr stop over half way.

3. when you get to the half way point find the day rooms, a proper bed and shower for about £5-10 a hour, chat to the receptionist to find out the latest you can book out and still make the flight... do that.

4. board said flight with next to no time to spare! less queuing i guess.

5. land at heathrow, hire car, drive to portsmouth, get on the lash, sleep like babies that night, on uk time straight away. :)

6. do the same on the way back, careful of the hitler traffic warden at Melbourne.... pain in the ass.

Longest flight I've been on was 8 hours. It wasn't too bad, I slept some of it and watched a film and started laughing like a loon which got some funny looks lol. Plus the screen thing told you where you were going over which was cool. Not sure how I'd cope with longer, just have to deal with it

The screen thing should be banned,its just another way of torturing you,they know what they're doing,it should only be switched on when approaching your destination toland

QUOTE=pablo;1936450709]The loons have taken over the forum,18 hours!

Its a few more hours for you if you're heading to Adelaide :cute:

Yeah you'd love that wouldn't yer! its 8 singapore then 13 adelaide,or the other way round,cant remember tbh,hell either way

Well no choice is there unless you can spend weeks on a boat, so you cope.

I have flown more long haul than most. Ex air hostess, married a long haul pilot, and flew on average at least 6 long haul flights a year for 9 years, Brunei to UK, before retiring to Oz, and have flown on average twice a year for the last 11 years.

we fly economy, no perks any more, and stop over for a few days with friends mostly in Dubai, each way,but time isn't a problem when retired, so that breaks the journey nicely.

I prefer a long sector to Dubai, leaving at night, as I find I actually manage to sleep, where as if stopping in Singapore I am usually just dropping off as we land, and then the same patten just nodding off at last just as we land in Dubai.

hard work for anyone flying with children and agree with other posters that it helps to break the journey if possible, and you can't beat Singapore airport.

Have a variety of different toys, comics etc. to produce from time to time, when boredom sets in, that can really help, that's for children not us!!!!

It doesn't matter how you cope, as long as you arrive safely.

definition of a good pilot. Has as many take offs as landings!!!

You'll be fine; hours go by very quickly and if you sleep even more! I have travelled alone and with my husband many times and a big factor, at least for us, is the airline who you travel with - better pay a bit more but knowing you'll be well looked after and comfortable. And if you think it'll be too much, I think your doctor can prescribe some pills too.

Good luck!

I don't mind flying long haul, however the longest I've done is 10hrs to Cuba.

Ive heard so many people saying 'never again', I'm wondering how bad it can be :/

We unfortunately only have 2hrs in Dubai for our stop over.

Oh shh you miserable git lol I liked knowing we were going over New York, Canada etc

Lmao,i actually dont moan one jot on the plane,just sit there and get on with it,so i moan on here instead ;)

Nah,i DO despise it tho,not gonna lie,being tall doesn't help either,you're ok,you can get yer head down in the over head locker....

I love flying, but the longest flight I have done was 13 hours (UK to Mexico). I can usually sleep anywhere, cars, trains, buses, standing up etc, but for some reason I find air travel the one time where sleep eludes me. I think it is the lack of motion - I would probably sleep better if there were some turbulence :-) That said, I do enjoy turbulence as it does break up the monotony of a long flight.

Things I find help include a blankie and a pillow, and if flying where I need to sleep I always change into my PJ's - yes I get some funny looks but at least I am warm and comfortable - also include fluffy socks in this. My shoes come off as soon as I am in my seat. I enjoy the inflight movies, but this year will have a kindle and once engrossed in a good book, 24 hours will literally fly by - pun intended! Snacks are a must - I hate being held hostage to airline food schedules, cereal bars are easy to pack and eat. I always have to have a window seat, love looking at the changing landscapes below - this only really works for daytime flights. If travelling with kids, I seat them in front of us, as they are far less likely to recline their chairs onto our laps, also can give them a clip round the ear if they are misbehaving. i actually quite like torturing myself with the online active map, I find speed and distances fascinating - yeah I am a nerd :-) As much as I love a glass of bubbly or 2, I do find I travel better without it, though it's not a habit I intend giving up anytime soon.

Pack moisturiser for your face and hands, lips salve and toothbrush/toothpaste into your hand luggage. Just having a nice wash and freshen up can make you feel loads better.

Ironically I have found some of the shorter flights I have done have been painfully more boring than the longer haul - think this is to do with mindset and and not being prepared for the boredom.

Hope this helps ad like others have said, be prepared and enjoy it as part of the experience.

Cath xx

Love flying. The longest we have done is 12 hours to Mexico and I loved it. Settle in for a few movies and all is well. Take plenty if water and sweets. Definitely pack a small toiletry bag, a freshen up fixes everything :cute: Call me sad but I am really looking forward to the flight to Oz :laugh:

Edited by M1cha3la