How bad is the flight really?

Westbound

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely woeful!! but i hate flying for an hour,let alone 13 then 8,or was it the other way around....8 then 13?

I cant fly that long with a short break,i had a cpl of nights in Singapore,to get over the first leg and prepare for the second,it helped,"a bit"!

Then again theres some on here who enjoyed the flights,personally i'd section them....

I actually don't really mind the flight tbh!Last time I flew back to Adelaide,I slept alot of the way.Stopped in HK for 6 hrs which was fine.Watched some inflight tv,listened to alot of music,and I also flew alone without my OH!Not sure if I would be saying this if I had flown with small kids.Mine were 9 and 11 when we moved over here.

Everyone is different but honestly, for us, it really isn't that bad! We have done it twice now for holidays to Australia. Last year was with our children too aged 2 and 4 at the time! Plus i was expecting baby number 3!!! Plus on the way home my 4 year old had a broken leg (bouncy pillow incident in Coffs Harbour!) and it still wasn't that much of a big deal! Both ways we stopped in Bangkok for an hour or so. I think you mentally get yourself prepared for it. We are flying out again this August - this time to stay!

Do it! Even if you hate every moment of the flight, it is all so worth while once you are there!!!

Ok, I know this is weird, but I love the flight. I'm really looking forward to it. I coped very well last time, the airline looked after me very well, I was fed regularly and they really couldn't do enough for me. Up to date movies, TV stuff, music, and I had my book and such. Stop over was a bit stressful but I'll be with hubby this time so a bit less frantic. I can't wait now, so excited about the flight.

Guest chris955

I dont mind it at all to be honest, I reckon we have done it probably 20 times over the years, 3 times when our kids were under 2, then around 5 and finally 10 and even they werent really fazed by it. We always stop over which helps a lot.

Take no notice of them,loons:wacko:,its torture!:mad:

Nah,it seems im in the minority,so fair do's,hope you dont spend all night walking round and round the toilet block ala George Micheal,like i did:huh:

Happy flying!

Its fine dont worry done it many times. My tips would be (If u hadnt already booked it), either go Emerates on the flight that stops at Dubai and Singapore, it breaks it more of less into three equal chunks. You can then elect to stay over at one or both if you like. My other tip is to book a night flight out of the UK so you hit the plane tired and ready to sleep.

I've done five round trips, and with one exception, they've all been great. I generally have a night or two in Singapore on my way, to ease the pain. I fly alone, so there are no kids to worry about, and I treat the flight as part of the experience! I love the take-off and landing, and seeing where I am in the world; where we're flying over.

The one exception was with China Southern Airways, who treated me to a journey via Amsterdam, Beijing and Guangzhou before I got to Australia. They had no in-flight entertainment aside from television screens blaring out movies in Chinese (subtitles in another non-English language), served muck for food, caused me to miss one flight then lost my luggage. They may have been the cheapest but I'd prefer to pay more.

Pablo your full of it tbh

Its only a flight and its over in one whole day ,yes you get bored yes your bum goes from being numb to even worse

We done it with a 2.5 with us.2 hour stop over in dubai then onto perth just wanted to get it over with and it was fine

Flew with emirates who have cut back on the drinks and meals from two years ago which is a shame

Just get it over and done with soon forget it once your here and I'm in no rush to go back the way anyway

Guest JK2510

I don't mind the flight....in fact I love it,the whole experience. I think the key is keeping busy,reading,watching films,sleeping whatever you enjoy doing to pass the time.. Believe me 17-18 hrs is nothing. We travelled to vegas and New York from Perth last month 4.5hrs to Sydney,14 hrs to LA,1 hr to vegas,then 7 hours to nyc and then the same return....I love flying thing did wear off after the 3rd or 4th flight! Lol.

BTW been to Cuba,loved it would love to go back one day. Dread to think of the flight time from here!

Edited by JK2510

It's absolutely awful...but not bad enough to stop doing it. So far I've done the trip 7 times (though I know that's not many compared to those who've lived in Oz for decades), and last time was with four young kids.

We're also booked to go back to the UK for a few weeks at the beginning of May, only our trip is worse by a few hours as we're in NZ for the moment and have to do the trip from here.

ETA: It's far better to do the trip by yourself or just with your OH...the awfulness becomes magnified when you have lots of children to keep busy.

Edited by nikki244

I find the flight is never as bad as I think it's going to be. We've flown 6 or 7 return trips and 1 one way, the first on our own and the others with one or two kids of varying ages. I always dread it, I always think it's going to be awful but we always get through it. It's easier now the kids are older and can work the on board entertainment themselves, although the one way flight I was on my own with them and my eldest suffered from airsickness which wasn't pleasant. I prefer not to do a stop over as I hate feeling like I'm living out of a suit case and my kids are really fussy eaters and not the best travellers, but I do like a few hours in the airport on the way. We have done it with a two hour stop though and while not my ideal it was fine.

I've done five round trips, and with one exception, they've all been great. I generally have a night or two in Singapore on my way, to ease the pain. I fly alone, so there are no kids to worry about, and I treat the flight as part of the experience! I love the take-off and landing, and seeing where I am in the world; where we're flying over.

The one exception was with China Southern Airways, who treated me to a journey via Amsterdam, Beijing and Guangzhou before I got to Australia. They had no in-flight entertainment aside from television screens blaring out movies in Chinese (subtitles in another non-English language), served muck for food, caused me to miss one flight then lost my luggage. They may have been the cheapest but I'd prefer to pay more.

Oh dear I just booked my flight with them! Tempted by cheap prices! Oh well it is just a day & a half, I can man it! I'll just put loads of long books on my Kindle & pray I'll be able to concentrate.

EDIT: but lost luggage sounds like a nightmare, was it ok in the end??

I am totally afraid of flying and every time I fly I think I am going to die and I hope it doesn't hurt... For me it does not matter if it's long haul or just a short trip, I just hate flying and have to take tranquilizers (only on the long haul flights though, I don't want to over do).

The length I don't care about but the turbulences freak me out, especially the ones above the Bay of Bengal and the aequator were it's always bumpy. Stupid and not helpful when you are forced to fly long distances on a plane...

I don't get airsick as such but I have motion sickness (maybe due to low blood pressure) and am very sensitive to changes in height and movement. That also happens to me on trains and coaches.

Edited by marta

I don't get airsick as such but I have motion sickness (maybe due to low blood pressure) and am very sensitive to changes in height and movement. That also happens to me on trains and coaches.

On a plane you want to make sure you sit towards the back of a section, so you can see a fair distance away, as this helps your brain understand the motion of the plane (like looking at the horizon in a car/train). When you're near the front of a section, you've got the bulkheads/curtains pretty close to you, which can make travel sickness worse. the aisle seat can also help with this, as you have more viewing angle (unless you're tall and can generally see over the seats).

EDIT: but lost luggage sounds like a nightmare, was it ok in the end??

Yes. Melbourne airport staff were very good and my luggage arrived the next day, driven to where I was staying. I'm sure your flight will be better, just prepare yourself for chaos in China; they've yet to learn the concept of transit, apparently. That part was surreal.

It's really not that bad :smile:

We flew out here this time with a 13yr old and a 7yr old with singapore Airlines. Flew out from Heathrow at 6.30pm spent a few hours watching films then slept the rest of the way. Touched down in singapore, had organized a 6hr touchdown so we could take a swim in the pool in the airport and jump in the jacuzzi. The kids absolutely loved watching the planes take off and coming into land while we had a swim :laugh:

We then had a nice shower, changed our clothes, had a bite to eat then shopped till it was time to leave. We all felt great getting on the plane for the last leg of our journey, feeling fully refreshed. So it can be great if you make it great :wink:

Edited by jasperyogi