You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

PEDLEY

Having a baby on perm residence visa (176)

Hi,

We moved to Perth a year and half ago on a 176 perm residence visa and live in Mullaloo, Perth. We now want to have another baby but have heard so many different things about having a child in australia! Afterall, its not like back at home with the NHS!

I am looking for as much information as possible and even someone that has been in my situation.

Do we become citizens automatically if we have a child?

Is the child automatically an australian citizen?

What do we have to pay for? every apt? scans?

Do we receive a payment for having a child?

Is the process the same as in the UK, 12 week scan, 20 scan, get appointed a midwife etc etc

How do I go about getting the child a british passport so we can return to the UK if we want?

Maternity leave and pay?

Be grateful if someone could help and get in touch for a chat!

Thanks Jo

Jo Nath Sen App vetassess 7/2/11 vetassess paper passed 21/3 vetassess prac booked 11/4 & passed 5/5 wa ss lodged 12/5 wa ss approved 24/5 176 lodged 25/5, CO assigned 14/6 PCC's uploaded 16/6, meds done 23/6 visa granted 30/6/11, moved to perth 5/1/12 still in perth 24/4/13

Simple response in order to your list of questions as we've just had a baby here:

• No
  • Yes
  • Depends if you go public pr private and what your existing private cover (if you have it) allows for
  • Yes
  • Similar, but you get yourself fixed up with an obstetrician and they will work out with you what level of monitoring is appropriate. It's not quite as regimented and you need to take responsibility yourself, in other words, like much of the Aus health system. Don't know how the public system handle is
  • Get an Aussie birth certificate and then apply using the forms on the UK passport service website for overseas application for a child
  • No idea, sorry - wife doesn't work anyway

Thanks for the response, it helps a little. Notice your location is sydney? or do you live in perth? Whats the payment all about then and how much.

Jo Nath Sen App vetassess 7/2/11 vetassess paper passed 21/3 vetassess prac booked 11/4 & passed 5/5 wa ss lodged 12/5 wa ss approved 24/5 176 lodged 25/5, CO assigned 14/6 PCC's uploaded 16/6, meds done 23/6 visa granted 30/6/11, moved to perth 5/1/12 still in perth 24/4/13

Sorry, quick response was due to lack of time. Payment is means tested so you may not get it. Not sure of the income level as we're not eligible. Google "baby bonus"

​Apols for any misinformation

Baby bonus has an income limit on it. Think it was household income around 75k in the 6months following the birth of the child. If you earn more than that you don't get it.

Maternity leave and pay you are entitled to if you've been working in your job for a year.

I had my second baby here in Melbourne 11 weeks ago and found the system fine - it was the same in terms of scans as we used the public system. I paid for the initial doctors appointment to be referred to the hospital but nothing after that.

We have PR but not citizenship, however our baby is a citizen. We have just received his British passport but he was entitled to an Aussie one (and Irish as hubby is Irish!)

We currently receive the baby bonus as my hubby's wages fall below the threshold (as far as I know you can't earn more than $75000 in the 6 months following the birth, so less than $150,000 in most cases). This is paid fortnightly over 6 months and totals $5000.

Can't help with maternity pay as I don't work but the Human Services website is pretty helpful and has online calculators to help you determine what you can apply for.

One difference is that in the UK I saw the same 2 midwives the whole way through my pregnancy but saw a different one most times here in Australia. To be honest this wasn't a problem as I found most of them to be lovely. If you have private health cover I believe you can select a doctor/midwife etc but I may be wrong.

Overall it was a positive experience so hopefully you'll find the same.