136 Visa

Guest stuckinblighty

Guest stuckinblighty

Just to confirm that this is a permanent not temporary visa ?!?!?

What are the differences...level of medicare cover etc.

regards,Lee

Yes this is a permanent visa. We have applied for this one. We were acknowledged begining of April but still no CO !!!!! getting very anxious now.

Guest Gollywobbler
Yes this is a permanent visa. We have applied for this one. We were acknowledged begining of April but still no CO !!!!! getting very anxious now.

Don't worry, Est.

It takes ages to get a CO, and the applicant usually goes pear-shaped whilst waiting. However, it DOES come right in the end.

Chin up

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Just to confirm that this is a permanent not temporary visa ?!?!?

What are the differences...level of medicare cover etc.

regards,Lee

Hi Lee

The medicare thing is confusing, I reckon. Yes, the 136 visa confers immediate permanent residence, and it also confers medicare.

However, a lot of GPs in Oz do not provide medicare. There are GPs in the UK who are outside the NHS and do not see NHS patients at all, but that seems to be much more prevalent in Oz. The Medicare GPs do somethng called Buk Billing - I don't really understand what tht is.

I asked my sister about prescriptions for Mum at the weekend (she's on pills for high BP and a couple of other minor ailments.) According to Elaine (now an Australian citizen) there is no automatic "cheap rate" for drugs. Elaine says she has to pay the same as a private patient for any drugs that her own family need, because they earn too much to be eligible for something called a Healthcare Card. Apparently you have to be entitled to - and in possession of - one of these cards before you can get subsidised drugs via a scrip from a GP.

She rang Centrelink and checked this out for our mother, who is 85. In the UK, her drugs are free - she doesn't have to pay the £6.30 or whatever it is, because the over 75s (I think) are exempt from presciption-charges. Apparently in Oz, Mum would have to wait two years for a Healthcare Card, and the two years runs from the date you send the forms in. The Centrelink lady advised my sister to submit the relevant form as soon as Mum validates her visa.

However, Mum is applying for a Contributory Parent visa, for which there is a mandatory assurance of support and a Bond for $10,000. I suspect that if Mum turned out to be eligible for one of these HCards, Centrelink might come back on the Assurers for the cost of whatever these cards provide. Yet another goddamned thing to be looked into.

Have a look at the Centrelink website, I suggest. Sister has told me to find the stuff for these cards, but I haven't got round to it yet. It might be that you could get these cards straightaway, because of not having the AoS to consider, but I think you have to be on a low income to be eligible for them.

Sorry if this is garbled, but I'm confused about medicare too!

Cheers

Gill

Archived