Got my WA Driving License- Transfer from UK DL

Mushahid

Hi ,

I got my WA Driving License today . Simple process ,took me 30 minutes to get it .

Documents Needed:

1. UK Driving License

2. Passport ( Signature verification)

3. Visa ( VEVO printout or Visa label)

4. TFN Letter ( Proof of address)

5. BANK Card

6. Bank Statements( Proof of address)

7. Medicare Card

Fees: Paid 75 Dollar for 1 year WA Driving License ( Actual fee is 37.5 Dollars for a year and $ 150 for 5 years)

WA Driving License Office

Plaistowe Mews

Troode Street

West City Train Station

Thanks very much Mushahid, really helpful :notworthy:

You say about a VEVO printout - is this the grant letter that you receive when the visa is granted?

Are you using your short term rental address as the proof of address? Is this OK until you have a long term rental address?

Thanks Lorraine

Thanks very much Mushahid, really helpful :notworthy:

You say about a VEVO printout - is this the grant letter that you receive when the visa is granted?

Are you using your short term rental address as the proof of address? Is this OK until you have a long term rental address?

Thanks Lorraine

Hi

Yeah...It is the grant letter they ask if Visa is not evidenced in the passports...:)

Yes, I used the short term address , the short term address works as well..as long as you have had mail sent to that address and also bank statements are showing the same address...They wont ask or enquire about renting/leasing/owned properties....etc...As far as I know..they would want the address to post the Driving License card to you ....

Cheers

Good on ya!!!

Is too proofs of address really necessary or just one?

Did you apply for you TFN before or after you arrived in Australia. If after, how long did it take for them to send it to you?

Thanks

Actually they check the combination of required proofs ..check link:

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20669.asp

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/LBU_FS_POIExamples.pdf

I applied for my TFN online after arriving in Australia...It took 1 week before I got my TFN letter from WA government...:)

Cheers

Hi ,

I got my WA Driving License today . Simple process ,took me 30 minutes to get it .

Documents Needed:

1. UK Driving License

2. Passport ( Signature verification)

3. Visa ( VEVO printout or Visa label)

4. TFN Letter ( Proof of address)

5. BANK Card

6. Bank Statements( Proof of address)

7. Medicare Card

Fees: Paid 75 Dollar for 1 year WA Driving License ( Actual fee is 37.5 Dollars for a year and $ 150 for 5 years)

WA Driving License Office

Plaistowe Mews

Troode Street

West City Train Station

Did you hand in your UK license? Or did you hang onto it?

You don't hand your UK licence to anyone here, it is an official document from the UK. No one can take it accept UK authorities.

I was asking because the SA application form MR205 has a question on it.

It asks if the overseas licence has been surrendered and receipt given.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Interesting. I googled and found this reference:

1.1.1Exemption from the surrender requirement for overseas licences

The driver licensing authority may exempt a person from surrendering a licence issued in another country if the authority is satisfied that it would be unreasonable to require that licence to be surrendered.

An example is any overseas driver licence that forms part of an identity document that is required to be retained by the licensee if he/she decides to return overseas for any reason in the future. The requirement to surrender overseas licences does not include international driving permits or overseas defence force licences.

The Authority may exempt Diplomatic and Privileged staff from any requirement to surrender their licences.

In all other cases, plastic or laminated licences should be hole punched at a blank area, eg. the top left hand corner of the licence, so that it will not be invalidated and can be used againg in the country of issue. Similarly,and the endorsement of oveseas paper licences should be marked at a blank area with “(name of jurisdiction) licence issued (date)”. The licence is then returned to the licence holder.

If the licence is not marked to indicate the issue of an Australian licence, it must be destroyed.

I would argue that your UK licence is photo-id. That said, your UK licence photo card expires after ten years, so does become invalid and can't be renewed from overseas. Also, you can drive in the UK on your Australian licence.

Edited by Peach