kubby

Hi Guys,

Although I have been in Australia since last 4+ years on a 457, I just got my PR granted last week.

And now I am trying to find the things that I will need to take care off as a PR. Here are couple of them which comes to my mind:

1. Apply for a Medicare card.

2. Apply for Driving license - I can only use my existing international driving license for 3 more months.

3. Private medical insurance - On a 457 I have been paying a hefty amount for my Private insurance. I now need to get this changed since I am a PR and it would cost less.

My question to you guys is - WHAT ELSE?

Please share from your experiences.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Kubby

Hi,

Congrats on Your PR. In regards to your questions:

1. Yes, you can apply for the Medicare. You have to bring all the documents needed by the Medicare Officer. Please visit their Office

2. You can only use your Driving License for maximum of 3 months and you should up change it to Australian Driving License.

You have to come down to Department Vehicle Services and they will let you know what documents that you need to prepare before you are able to convert it or take the written or practical test.

3. Not sure about this.

4. You have to have tax payer id

Hi,

Congrats on Your PR. In regards to your questions:

1. Yes, you can apply for the Medicare. You have to bring all the documents needed by the Medicare Officer. Please visit their Office

2. You can only use your Driving License for maximum of 3 months and you should up change it to Australian Driving License.

You have to come down to Department Vehicle Services and they will let you know what documents that you need to prepare before you are able to convert it or take the written or practical test.

3. Not sure about this.

4. You have to have tax payer id

Thanks Cashmere Glow.

I already know on how to proceed with the first 3 points.

About point 4 - I already have a TFN.

Is there anything else that comes to your mind?

​Thanks again.

The driving license one seems to very by state - so check what your state's rules are. We went in to change my license in ACT and were told that there is a minimum three month period before I can get an Australian license here. So I was told to go away and not come back for a couple of months!

Only other thing I can think of is that as you have been on a 457 for a while then you will be eligible for citizenship soon, but you are limited in the amount of time you can spend out of the country in the last 12 months before applying. Might be worth checking the rules so you know when to apply etc and so that you don't get caught out.

We went in to change my license in ACT and were told that there is a minimum three month period before I can get an Australian license here.

This seems very strange. I obtained my ACT licence within a month of arriving from the UK in 2011.

This seems very strange. I obtained my ACT licence within a month of arriving from the UK in 2011.

We were surprised but the guy in the shop said that its a fairly recent change. I'm planning on double checking it just in case! Last thing I want is to be driving illegally, but he really did seem to be very very sure that I had to wait.

We were surprised but the guy in the shop said that its a fairly recent change. I'm planning on double checking it just in case! Last thing I want is to be driving illegally, but he really did seem to be very very sure that I had to wait.

What you've been told contradicts their website too: http://www.rego.act.gov.au/assets/PDFs/Approved%20Country%20List.pdf

Make sure you tell your bank you now have PR as it effects any credit applications you make in the future.

I'm surprised about the DL, I got one the day after I stepped off the plane and I was on a WHV!

Thanks Nicola. I will do that. Out of curiosity... how exactly does any credit application gets affected with visa status change.

I hope we have covered everything here... please post .. if anything additional comes to anyone's mind.

Thanks again people.

Cheers,

Kubby

Thanks Nicola. I will do that. Out of curiosity... how exactly does any credit application gets affected with visa status change.

I hope we have covered everything here... please post .. if anything additional comes to anyone's mind.

Thanks again people.

Cheers,

Kubby

When I applied for a credit card with my bank & they refused & when I asked why they said it was because I was on a temp visa - I said I wasn't any longer so they changed the record & then I was approved!

When I applied for a credit card with my bank & they refused & when I asked why they said it was because I was on a temp visa - I said I wasn't any longer so they changed the record & then I was approved!

Copy that!! Thanks Nicola.