Changing UK Credit Card address to Australia.... Anyone done this?

bubba911

Has anyone kept their UK Credit Card and changed this to your new Australian address? I'm keen to keep my card as it is great for overseas spending when travelling. (Aus does not have a comparable one that I know of)

I'm worried that if I notify of a change of address to Aus. they will tell me I'm no longer eligible to have the card and take it from me.

B

It depends on the bank. American Express and Sainsburys were both happy to keep my UK accounts open (both had zero balances). To be honest though, once you start having to send money back and forth to pay it off (you can't use an Australian debit card to pay off a UK credit card) any benefit is lost.

I still have my Natwest credit card, changed to an Australian address.

​Do bear in mind that you'll need to have a direct debit set up to pay off the card each month, as it can take ages for the paper bills to reach you. If you do get electronic bills, then you need to be rigorous about checking your account monthly to make sure you've not had any dodgy transactions. If you do fall victim to someone using your card and get a replacement one, be aware that the direct debits to pay the card off need setting up again (they neglected to tell me this, and it took 4 months for the "you've not paid your bill" letter to arrive, by which time my credit limit had been cut). Just a few pitfalls that can occur, but if you're aware, it's easy to avoid them...

Guest Geordie lass
Has anyone kept their UK Credit Card and changed this to your new Australian address? I'm keen to keep my card as it is great for overseas spending when travelling. (Aus does not have a comparable one that I know of)

I'm worried that if I notify of a change of address to Aus. they will tell me I'm no longer eligible to have the card and take it from me.

B

Hi there, I still have my UK credit card and changed my address. I don't often use it and when I do I just pay it off over Internet banking through my UK bank account, which I have also kept running.

B

No reason whatsoever for them to do that. I have changed cards in past no problem.

I didn't renew my UK credit card and now have written to my bank - lloyds tsb to ask for another as it is handy to have a UK credit card when in UK. They have initially told me that you have to be resident 6 months in UK before you qualify, but as i have a large balance in my account, I think they could risk issuing me with one - with a low balance. They also refuse to post cards to Australia, although others on this forum have had better luck