Saving money moving back to the UK

I personally drove to the location in western Sydney of Animal Travel and met both Ken and Narelle. it's easy to get online quotes for all sorts of things, but when it came to transporting my pet, I just wanted to see for myself. I was more than happy with them, they were lovely and happy to spend time chatting and answering all my questions. I've had quotes from Jetpets as well, but Animal Travel were cheaper by a few hundred, so I booked them and they will hold the price for me until I leave early 2014. They're on Facebook too. You can get their phone number from white pages. Hope this helps.

We came back from Brisbane to Devon recently and because we didn't know what would fit in this end, we didn't bring back our huge fridge, top loader washing machine, our enormous 3 piece suite, large dining table and chairs, huge garden table and 6 chairs plus loungers and 3 single beds and I'm so glad we didn't! None of it other than 2 single beds would have fitted where we are now living! We did bring back our near new Queen size bed, dressing table, various side tables and cupboards and other furnishing items and countless boxes. Wrapped items (which included the latter) came to 93 items. All I know is that they turned up here in a huge truck, the size of a double decker bus and 3 containers within were unloaded packed to the hilt. The cost was just under $3000 and we didn't lift a finger either end. That was with Kent Brisbane end and we made a point of telling Kent that we would be pre-checking the company they would choose in UK (as it turned out they had every registration there is so are very reputable this end). Kent also operate in Perth but I think they are franchises - not sure so it may depend on the management as to how good they are although I do know others who have used Kent in Perth and have had no problems but they got several quotes and beat them down on price.

THISTLE.....................thanks for your reply! Our Girls go with Animal Travel 3rd July............feeling nervous..........obviously BUT I have found this company to be amazing with help/info and lastly price............Narelle is a diamond :) My fur Babies are doing it tough.......SYD-HKG-LHR THEN onwards to Malaga with a road transportation company "Animal Express" due to the embargo of importing Pets into Malaga during the heat/summer months.........I will be nine days without them.........can't wait to see them on the other side :)

LADY RAINCORN................we fly the same day as you :) Shippers in tomorrow...............

We land at Heathrow 10th July at 8pm - we're having a stopover on route - when do you get home?

THISTLE.....................thanks for your reply! Our Girls go with Animal Travel 3rd July............feeling nervous..........obviously BUT I have found this company to be amazing with help/info and lastly price............Narelle is a diamond :) My fur Babies are doing it tough.......SYD-HKG-LHR THEN onwards to Malaga with a road transportation company "Animal Express" due to the embargo of importing Pets into Malaga during the heat/summer months.........I will be nine days without them.........can't wait to see them on the other side :)

Im sure they will be fine...I have every confidence in Narelle since meeting her. 9days is a long time, but it will go quickly as you are travelling and stopping over en route. All the very best. Would be interested in your feedback when you settle back in with your fur babies at the other side.

thank you Thistle for your reply............Animal Travel were brilliant this end re: pick up etc...........Dogs have arrived at LHR.......just glad they are out of the air now.......had a 24hr rest in ARC.........as we speak they are now in the Euro Tunnel on their way to Spain via France.............Our pet transportation company in UK say they seem fit, well and happy.......they are cuddled up together in the same cage on their blankets we have slept with for the last 10 weeks :) I'll keep you posted when I meet them in Spain on the 12th July.............thanks again

• 4 months later...

Thanks for these great tips and for setting up this sticky - really useful! I've previously flown Sri Lanka Airlines and they threw in a lovely overnight stay in Sri Lanka itself, which was great for breaking the journey and getting rid of the cramps. Air Malaysia are also very good and we've previously flown with them too. Did you actually switch airlines halfway across? If so, who did you fly out on and who did you swap to at the fuel stop point?:tongue:

Thanks for these great tips and for setting up this sticky - really useful! I've previously flown Sri Lanka Airlines and they threw in a lovely overnight stay in Sri Lanka itself, which was great for breaking the journey and getting rid of the cramps. Air Malaysia are also very good and we've previously flown with them too. Did you actually switch airlines halfway across? If so, who did you fly out on and who did you swap to at the fuel stop point?:tongue:

We flew with Air Asia to KL and with Sri Lankan from there but stopped in Columbo (didn't stopover though) - Sri Lankan code shared with Malaysian but it was a Sri Lankan plane on both legs.

• 1 month later...

We have decided to move back to Scotland after 3 years in Perth. Planning on giving it another 18 months to save some more money before we go. We shipped over a part container and will probably go back with a similar amount. We are also going to take back our 2 cats - not going to re-home again like I did when we moved last time :-(

Like the idea of doing the self-pack option if it's a lot cheaper.

Was wondering if people could let me know how much they ended up spending for shipping stuff and pets? Also, what companies to use (or avoid). Would like to get an idea of costs early on so we can budget, and work out what money we'll be left with when we get home.

Hope the move back has worked out for everyone!

Cheers

Lynne

• 3 weeks later...
Well Sapphire I am very sorry to hear that.............I have always been impressed with their speedy responses.............Ken and Narelle Hammond are the owners.............did you email direct from the website? It's not a good impression I know but maybe try again if you want to..............just to compare the quote?

I wont be recommending Animal Travel to anyone. I booked and paid a deposit and bought a transport crate from them. Told Narelle I would not be going for several months. She gave me a small machine printed receipt for $428, no breakdown of what was what. My dog died suddenly and I called her to tell her. remember the fact that she only took my money, and I got a verba quote to transport my dog to UK. She did nothing else. She agreed to buy back the crate but no return deposit.

Now where was THAT printed. I returned the crate and got $128 in cash sealed in an envelope handed back to me.

No empathy...nothing. As soon as I wasnt using her service, her attitude changed. She did NOTHING and got $300 for it.

Wow.......wow and wow............

I am so disappointed to hear this..................shocking

I am so sorry for your loss

Have you pursued this and asked her why?

WHEN you first enquired did they not send you a quote?

I assume you bought the crate to get your doggie used to it first without locking in a date?

I really am very sorry to hear this

Absolutely shocking customer service considering I quote....from you on an earlier date

Im sure they will be fine...I have every confidence in Narelle since meeting her

You and me both

I would chase this up..............she can't get away with treating people like this

We have decided to move back to Scotland after 3 years in Perth. Planning on giving it another 18 months to save some more money before we go.

I hope you're also going to get citizenship before you go, so you (or your kids) have the freedom to come back in the future. You may not think you're likely to change your mind but you never know.

Wow.......wow and wow............

I am so disappointed to hear this..................shocking

I am so sorry for your loss

Have you pursued this and asked her why?

WHEN you first enquired did they not send you a quote?

I assume you bought the crate to get your doggie used to it first without locking in a date?

I really am very sorry to hear this

Absolutely shocking customer service considering I quote....from you on an earlier date

Im sure they will be fine...I have every confidence in Narelle since meeting her

You and me both

I would chase this up..............she can't get away with treating people like this

Yes yes I DID have confidence in her, she was very nice to me, but that's when she thot she was getting my business. As soon as I called to say she wouldn't, her attitude changed. No I never received a written quote, she was going to email it to me, but I never received it. Yes the crate was to begin preparing my dog for the long journey and Narelle told me, I only needed to give her 2 or 3 weeks notice. My dog passed away in Nov and we were planning on leaving end March, so I hadn't given her a date.

however, to hand someone cash in a sealed envelope, with no receipt nothing, sounds unprofessional to me anyway.

I haven't taken it up with her, apart from grieving for my best fur friend, I am arranging to leave Australia after 25yrs, so there's a lot to organise and my focus has been on that. If Narelle intended to return my deposit she would've done it. It has changed my opinion on how she operates her business and I won't be shy in telling anyone.

Edited by Thistle13
Spelling

• 6 months later...
Yes yes I DID have confidence in her, she was very nice to me, but that's when she thot she was getting my business. As soon as I called to say she wouldn't, her attitude changed. No I never received a written quote, she was going to email it to me, but I never received it. Yes the crate was to begin preparing my dog for the long journey and Narelle told me, I only needed to give her 2 or 3 weeks notice. My dog passed away in Nov and we were planning on leaving end March, so I hadn't given her a date.

however, to hand someone cash in a sealed envelope, with no receipt nothing, sounds unprofessional to me anyway.

I haven't taken it up with her, apart from grieving for my best fur friend, I am arranging to leave Australia after 25yrs, so there's a lot to organise and my focus has been on that. If Narelle intended to return my deposit she would've done it. It has changed my opinion on how she operates her business and I won't be shy in telling anyone.

Shocking - I'll be shipping a pet home, and I'll be sure to avoid animal travel. Perhaps this Narelle doesn't quite realise the impact of such adverse publicity? If you read this Narelle, I hope you do the right thing!

• 1 year later...