Saving money moving back to the UK

We squandered so much money moving out here and the whole adventure has probably cost us over £50k that I am on a mission to get home as cheaply as possible so I have some money saving tips and would like more!

Fly with budget airlines as far out of Australia as you can and pick up other low cost carriers. I have priced up flying with Air Asia and Sri Lanka Airlines with 30kg luggage at $2200 - not cheap? That's for all THREE of us from Perth to London Heathrow.

Self pack and load container - quote from Wridgeways approx. $7k, not yet got quote from shipping company but have been told it will be less than half that.

Marine Insurance - whether you self pack and load or not don't take insurance from the removal company. quote from Wridgeways $1500, quote from http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/ £430 (& ignore the scare stories that you can't get insurance if you self-pack it states clearly that it covers self-pack)

The one area I have not been able to get anywhere with is pet relocation so any ideas on that welcome (other than rehome!)

Any other ideas to make the relocation back to the UK cheaper?

Guest chris955

That seems very expensive for a selfpack container. We paid half that from Brisbane but we didnt even bother getting quotes from the big name companies. Do a Google search and you should come up with much better quotes.

Air tickets Im afraid there isnt much choice but you sound as though you have done pretty well with those. The easiest way to save heaps is do as much as possible yourself. Clear your stuff yourself, it doesnt need to be done by an agent and Customs are really helpful and will guide you through the whole process.

Sorry badly worded $7k is full service - self pack is going to be less than half that.

Good to know UK customs are helpful :) I think if we go with the self pack option we'd be doing everything like that ourselves too - the company don't necessarily deal with house contents, they ship any exports - living in Freo helps as there are heaps of companies.

I am taking my dogs over and the cheapest quote I have had was with Dogtainers. Jet Pet was way more expensive.

I am also going with Malaysian Airlines, cheap fares and 30kg luggage limit. Sounds like you got a great deal with Sri Lanka though.

Edited by Woofyhugger

I am taking my dogs over and the cheapest quote I have had was with Dogtainers. Jet Pet was way more expensive.

I am also going with Malaysian Airlines, cheap fares and 30kg luggage limit. Sounds like you got a great deal with Sri Lanka though.

Thanks for the tip. Going to get a quote from Dogtainers, we're taking two large dogs and a cat back and we were prepared to go with Jet Pets.

Is 30kg luggage limit standard on Malaysian?

30kg is standard on Malaysian, you can be better off paying excess baggage charges on cheaper airlines though. If you prefer a through carrier I have found KLM to be the cheapest and Lufthansa were doing good deals as well.

30kg is standard on Malaysian, you can be better off paying excess baggage charges on cheaper airlines though. If you prefer a through carrier I have found KLM to be the cheapest and Lufthansa were doing good deals as well.

That's great thanks, it's a while off yet but we'll probably go Mel-KL Airasiax and KL-Lon Malaysian, seems to work out pretty good price wise.

Guest Geordee

Great thread, Jules! Very interested in the self packing of the container, not something i have looked into as yet but I am all for saving some $$ especially with 4 children! Be great if you could update us on your self packing quote when you get it ;). Was the quote you had for a 20ft? Thanks ;)

Guest Geordee
Self packing is easy, honestly. It is well worth the effort for the money saved.

Did you have it all packed / wrapped before the container arrived? I imagine it would otherwise take too much time. Definitely thinking about it ;)

Guest chris955
Did you have it all packed / wrapped before the container arrived? I imagine it would otherwise take too much time. Definitely thinking about it ;)

Yes have everything boxed and ready. Remember though that packers will literally wrap everything in bubble wrap and 90% of the time it isnt necessary. Just pack everything tightly into the container so it wont move.

We just got our quote back from the shipping company and it was $5800 and that was to Edinburgh, we'd need to clear customs and get it transported to our house about 20 miles away. Add to that packing materials and time and it is really not worth it.

We are going to look at other 'self pack' options so if anyone has any company suggestions (from Perth!) they'd be welcome.

Guest Geordee
We just got our quote back from the shipping company and it was $5800 and that was to Edinburgh, we'd need to clear customs and get it transported to our house about 20 miles away. Add to that packing materials and time and it is really not worth it.

We are going to look at other 'self pack' options so if anyone has any company suggestions (from Perth!) they'd be welcome.

Really? Nt much of a saving, you'd think it'd be much cheaper, definitely not worth it, but might look about for some other quotes. And yes if anyone else has any suggestions that'd be great ;)

Guest The Pom Queen
We squandered so much money moving out here and the whole adventure has probably cost us over £50k that I am on a mission to get home as cheaply as possible so I have some money saving tips and would like more!

Fly with budget airlines as far out of Australia as you can and pick up other low cost carriers. I have priced up flying with Air Asia and Sri Lanka Airlines with 30kg luggage at $2200 - not cheap? That's for all THREE of us from Perth to London Heathrow.

Self pack and load container - quote from Wridgeways approx. $7k, not yet got quote from shipping company but have been told it will be less than half that.

Marine Insurance - whether you self pack and load or not don't take insurance from the removal company. quote from Wridgeways $1500, quote from http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/ £430 (& ignore the scare stories that you can't get insurance if you self-pack it states clearly that it covers self-pack)

The one area I have not been able to get anywhere with is pet relocation so any ideas on that welcome (other than rehome!)

Any other ideas to make the relocation back to the UK cheaper?

What a great idea for a thread I will make it a sticky.

I emailed them last week, to try and get an idea of cost,,,,,and they havent even replied!!!!

I think I will stick with Jetpets:)

Well Sapphire I am very sorry to hear that.............I have always been impressed with their speedy responses.............Ken and Narelle Hammond are the owners.............did you email direct from the website? It's not a good impression I know but maybe try again if you want to..............just to compare the quote?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know we contacted animaltravel.com.au, we got a quick response and it seemed about $500 cheaper than PetLink BUT when we read the 'small print' (& they did make it clear so not a criticism it did not include UK charges which would be around $580 so was actually more expensive (as PetLink make it equally clear these charges are included). Just something to look our for when comparing quotes.

Just to let you know we contacted animaltravel.com.au, we got a quick response and it seemed about $500 cheaper than PetLink BUT when we read the 'small print' (& they did make it clear so not a criticism it did not include UK charges which would be around $580 so was actually more expensive (as PetLink make it equally clear these charges are included). Just something to look our for when comparing quotes.
Jules...........can you give me the web address for this Petlink so I can get a quote?

Tried doing a search and comes up with Petlink Australia but no reference to Animal Transport?

Many thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry jules reading this on my phone. Was your quote for a 20ft of 40ft?

Have you made it back yet?

We are waiting for final quotes .two cars to sell and then we can book flights

We are taking a 20ft container back - we came out for 40ft but don't want to spend that much getting back!