You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Mushahid

Talk about travelling!!! Perth- PhD or New York Work ???

Its been nearly 3 weeks in Perth...

Medicare card ( OK)

Bank Account ( OK)

TFN ( OK)

WA Driving License ( X) -Next week maybe!!

The things which happened in 2 weeks after arrival :

1 ) Got offers for PhD from Curtin University- Engineering Departments - Civil and Energy Sciences !!

This is a chance of a lifetime to become a Doctor- as in PhD degree holder....

2 ) I have also got Job Offer from New York -Building & Energy Company . But , Salary is not too great, 70-80 K per year .

H1B Visa interview at US consulate is in June .

The dilemma:

Do I stay in Perth and complete the PhD and get my Doctorate and settle down in Perth

OR

Do I travel to New York and Work in my field , Earn Money and Enjoy!!!!

All my friends say New York is the obvious choice as it is the best place on Earth!!!...

Family and teachers say , Doctorate is a life long achievement...Stay put in Perth !!!

DECISIONS!!! DECISIONS !!! DECISIONS!!!!

Need sane advice only!!!!

Take each option and ask yourself the following questions:

Will I regret this if I do not do it?

If the answer is yes, do it.

If the answer is no, move on to the next question.

Do the one you will regret if you don't do it. The you will find happiness.

If you are looking for help applying to a job, writing a CV, cover letter or answering selection criteria, contact the experts at www.fremantlehr.com.au.

Based in Perth and helping clients worldwide to get the job they want in the company they want.

You could apply for PhD in New York as well, can`t you? 70 - 80 thousand a year isn`t a lot, especially in the Northeast, is your wife gonna be working too? I would think about where I want to be geographically. Job and study opportunities will be found in either place if you seek it IMO. Good luck :wubclub:

IELTS: L 9, R 7.5, W 8.0, S 8.5 overall 8.5

Visa lodged June 27th!, CO July 26th

AHPRA sent July 2nd, LOE August 1st

You could apply for PhD in New York as well, can`t you? 70 - 80 thousand a year isn`t a lot, especially in the Northeast, is your wife gonna be working too? I would think about where I want to be geographically. Job and study opportunities will be found in either place if you seek it IMO. Good luck :wubclub:

Well..Perth PhD is free...No Fees and there is an option of Funding and teaching...:)

New York PhD will maybe cost me if I dont find Scholarship or funding...

Wife will probably not work..so its just me...working in NY..

Lets see.

So you are asking us whether you should be wasting the best years of your life doing a PhD in Perth or improving your career (the real way through work rather than study) in the greatest city in the world?

PhD's are a collosal waste of time in my opinion (unless you're going into academia) and doing one in Perth of all places would be a recipe for sending the most sane person over the edge, unless you have an extremely high boredom threshold.

I think you would be mad to opt for the former, but up to you.

What about your employer in NY? Companies usually have a tuition assistance program ( my husband had the full cost of his master`s degree paid by his company). Wouldn`t hurt to ask :)

I went to New York once , for a New Year 2007 :biggrin:. We stayed for 5 days and did the usual tourist stuff. I liked the city very much, it definitely has a vibe .If I ever go again, I`ll go in May or June though, it was soooo cold in January!

IELTS: L 9, R 7.5, W 8.0, S 8.5 overall 8.5

Visa lodged June 27th!, CO July 26th

AHPRA sent July 2nd, LOE August 1st

I love NY, but the salary is low and it is just a temporary visa. Do you have a permanent visa for Australia? Maybe you could do the NY thing for a couple of years for the experience and then come back to Perth.

I think it is a NY vs Australia thing, I wouldn't let PHD come into it, if you got onto the course once I guess you could do that again. I also think phd are not that meaningful other than for academics, for the rest it is just for show off really. :laugh:

I love NY, but the salary is low and it is just a temporary visa. Do you have a permanent visa for Australia? Maybe you could do the NY thing for a couple of years for the experience and then come back to Perth.

I think it is a NY vs Australia thing, I wouldn't let PHD come into it, if you got onto the course once I guess you could do that again. I also think phd are not that meaningful other than for academics, for the rest it is just for show off really. :laugh:

Thanks....

My Australia Visa is PR ....so I could go to US for couple of years and come back and complete my PhD...Keeping aside salary as Salary is v low...But yeah you r ryt......I could give NY a try for experience...

Cheers

Thanks....

My Australia Visa is PR ....so I could go to US for couple of years and come back and complete my PhD...Keeping aside salary as Salary is v low...But yeah you r ryt......I could give NY a try for experience...

Cheers

I lived in New York - fantastic place and I still miss it. Your only issue would be the salary versus the very high cost of renting there. However, it would be a fabulous experience...

So you are asking us whether you should be wasting the best years of your life doing a PhD in Perth or improving your career (the real way through work rather than study) in the greatest city in the world?

PhD's are a collosal waste of time in my opinion (unless you're going into academia) and doing one in Perth of all places would be a recipe for sending the most sane person over the edge, unless you have an extremely high boredom threshold.

I think you would be mad to opt for the former, but up to you.

Thanks..

Like you very frank way of putting things as they r...:)..I might go to US for a couple of years and come back to Perth...:)....Lets see how things finalise.:)

​Cheers

Guest guest76088

Why did you move to Perth? I find it difficult to understand someone leaving just as they arrive after three weeks.

Even if I were open to moving, I would not move to another continent for a crap salary.

BigD

Staying in a city like New York is real awesome and a great idea. Well and if you are planning to settle down on a long vacation then you can find for yourself a number of short term housing in NYC.

I am in New York and am living in Queens ,NY . It is nice here with weather turning wild by the day..:)

My work mainly involves working in Lower Manhattan and Uptown ,Midtown of NYC...

Cheers