Mining jobs WA

Silversid

Good morning/Afternoon guys

I wonder if you can help or give me any advice.

I'm a plant operator here in the UK and would like to work in WA operating Excavators/Dozers.I have over 25 years experience operating plant along with my Heavy goods license (HGV-LGV1) working in Quarry's and large scale muck shifting.is there any advice you may be able to offer me to.

Thanks Guys

Neil

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Firstly, you should be aware that the mining industry is going through a significant downturn at the moment. A lot of staff have been made redundant and it looks like a fair few more will be in the near future. So you will be up against guys with mining experience.

How relevant your experience would help will depend on the sort of plant you have operated. For example, the very smallest dozer is a D10. Ideally, you need experience above that. With excavators, you are looking at things such as face shovels that with a 50t bucket.

Do you have a visa?

If you think you have the right experience, the infomine is a good start.

Neil , the mines will be here for many yrs to come ,we will be long gone by the time they all close , treat it as being a contractor , you will get a start and once your in .......same as what we are use to ....Dont be put off by drama Queens ......

Neil , the mines will be here for many yrs to come ,we will be long gone by the time they all close , treat it as being a contractor , you will get a start and once your in .......same as what we are use to ....Dont be put off by drama Queens ......

I'm very thick skinned mate!! lol

Guest scrumpy

Any ideas what a self employed site plumber in there 40s can do in WA, if he dosent want to go plumbing?

Very practical minded, turn my hand to most things, no job is beneath me! any suggestions more than welcome!

Any ideas what a self employed site plumber in there 40s can do in WA, if he dosent want to go plumbing?

Very practical minded, turn my hand to most things, no job is beneath me! any suggestions more than welcome!

you would make a great handy man , with plumber ex you be laughin ....start at my placve , i got lots of jobs , i need a new toilet fitting with comfy seat ....!

Guest scrumpy
w far in the processe are you pal

Every thing is in , police checks clear etc, havnt heard back from medicals (they been in about a month) so assuming all is OK, just waiting for 190visa to be granted, family of 4heading for Bunbury . me 44 hopefully EX Plumber, Wifey 42 and just completed 2nd year of hairdressing, so a lil worried about finding work as, although she gets distinctions on everything, confidence is not there yet. Daughter 19, shes putting Uni on hold (can do for upto 8years) so Im guessing she will need a part time job, Son is 15, finishing GSCEs this summer, and hope fully continuing education in Oz.

I like to think we will be thereby August, but probs will be later, VISA PENDING!!!

If your toilet seat can wait till then, pencil me in

Sorry to the guy asking aout mining jobs, kind of drifted off topic, but if you get a job and need a hand, give me a shout!

Edited by scrumpy

Every thing is in , police checks clear etc, havnt heard back from medicals (they been in about a month) so assuming all is OK, just waiting for 190visa to be granted, family of 4heading for Bunbury . me 44 hopefully EX Plumber, Wifey 42 and just completed 2nd year of hairdressing, so a lil worried about finding work as, although she gets distinctions on everything, confidence is not there yet. Daughter 19, shes putting Uni on hold (can do for upto 8years) so Im guessing she will need a part time job, Son is 15, finishing GSCEs this summer, and hope fully continuing education in Oz.

I like to think we will be thereby August, but probs will be later, VISA PENDING!!!

If your toilet seat can wait till then, pencil me in

Sorry to the guy asking aout mining jobs, kind of drifted off topic, but if you get a job and need a hand, give me a shout!

You're looking good without me . you dont need me

Guest scrumpy
You're looking good without me . you dont need me

I got a feeling getting in, may be the easy part, although at times it has felt impossible!

Trust me, any help will be greatly appreciated

Guest chris955

Why does telling someone the facts make them a drama queen ? Its not exactly a secret that the mines are slowing down and laying people off. How many people have we seen on here saying they cant get into the mines ? Why is it so wrong to be realistic ?

WTF. Yes, mines will exist for a very long time to come. But getting a start is now incredibly hard as so many experienced staff have been laid off. I have just this week been looking for a candidate for a role that 6 months ago, we would have looked at people with no or little experience and considered a 457. Now, I have been swamped with CV's of guys with up to 10 years experience.

The WA industry has let over 5000 guys go in the last 6 months. At the same time vacancies are down by two thirds across the industry.

And yes, I do know what the industry is doing, I spend my career in this game.

I'm a commercial plumber with 15 years experience and didn't ever have a problem finding work in Perth since I arrived over a year ago. I wanted a job on the mines to help give us a small financial boost but plumbing jobs on the mines are pretty limited. I got hired as a poly welder (its plumbing related, and I had my experience with poly welding back in the UK) up on a mine site in the Pilbara and so far so good. 6 months into FIFO and its a fairly tough slog being away from the family for 4 weeks at a time but we have a realistic goal in place. Keeping focused for another 6 months and then it'll be back to Perth for me.

I do come across the odd maintanance plumbing position advertised doing FIFO, but poly-welding jobs seem more common. A poly welding course is only 3 days back in Perth and costs about $1500.00

http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/mining-jobs-in-australia.html

I work for one of the biggest mining companies in the world , we are not slowing down and the place is in operation almost 24hrs per day. I still get job offers via text maybe twice per month from agencys offering me mining work ,could be 4 or 6 weeks but they normally turn out to be a lot longer. Yes its hard to get a start but once your in and your good at your job you shouldnt have many problems. Lets remember the engineering game is full of chancers ,only one in ten are time served men,the rest are a swower of ............. !

If I were you I wouldnt bother looking at mining.

If your a plant operator there are lots of jobs here as all the construction is finishing, not a great deal new in mining either but there all moving into operations soon and thus need operators. Stick with Oil and Gas the pay is way better than mining.

All major miners post their jobs internally, normally weekly. Please post them. Likewise any that recruiters are calling you about.

Got to say say in your comment "almost 24 hours per day". I can't think of a mine that is not in struggle days that is not mining 24/7. Been in this game on 4 continents in more countries than I can bother counting, as a junior member of staff and management team and not seen a major mine, in normal production not working 24/7 365 days a year.

The industry is going into lock down mode. Not a surprise to those that know it. It is a cyclical industry both in terms of world output and geographic output. At the moment, all the money is being pulled from Oz and pumped into Africa, South America and unusually northern Europe. In particular Greenland. Eastern Europe is also doing well.

http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/mining-jobs-in-australia.html

I work for one of the biggest mining companies in the world , we are not slowing down and the place is in operation almost 24hrs per day. I still get job offers via text maybe twice per month from agencys offering me mining work ,could be 4 or 6 weeks but they normally turn out to be a lot longer. Yes its hard to get a start but once your in and your good at your job you shouldnt have many problems. Lets remember the engineering game is full of chancers ,only one in ten are time served men,the rest are a swower of ............. !

the company i work for supply the mines worldwide, we are not the cheapest but we are the best , im lucky enough to work in Perth and dont have to go to the mines , hence why we work almost 24hrs a day , shift work , change over ect . Im also lucky that i can work in the mining industry , oil,gas, petrochem and pharmaceutical industry so have a wide scale choice of jobs when things come to a head as you keep mentioning . If the so called "lock down " affects yourself in days , weeks , months, or yrs to come then give me a shout , i have no problem in pointing you in the right direction ........hope this helps

Guest scrumpy
the company i work for supply the mines worldwide, we are not the cheapest but we are the best , im lucky enough to work in Perth and dont have to go to the mines , hence why we work almost 24hrs a day , shift work , change over ect . Im also lucky that i can work in the mining industry , oil,gas, petrochem and pharmaceutical industry so have a wide scale choice of jobs when things come to a head as you keep mentioning . If the so called "lock down " affects yourself in days , weeks , months, or yrs to come then give me a shout , i have no problem in pointing you in the right direction ........hope this helps

What are you guys the best at, in the industry, and any openings for an ex plumber?? (there could be a toilet seat fitting in it for you!!)

Edited by scrumpy

What are you guys the best at, in the industry, and any openings for an ex plumber?? (there could be a toilet seat fitting in it for you!!)

the company i work for are involved in many aspects of the mining industry and more .........drilling componants , conveyor rolls, pully systems, frames and much more , they are very big on safety too , no horse play these days ...i do miss that but sign of the times now ........sure you could fit in somewhere if you wanted a change of career , thats what i did , as for my welding skills ,i will never loose them as you will never loose your plumbing skills , that why we should all have a trade from being young but who messed that up ...????? THATCHER ...........