What Trades To Do for Australia

Chris Howitt

Hi everyone,

I have been living in Australia, first on a WH Visa, then on a student visa (for only a few months) and went home to UK. I have a girl out there, and she would be happy to get married, but im I really want to get some sort of trade so I can at least afford to live properly.

So I have an idea that I will do a gas engineer course in England (only takes about 1-2 years) its also alot cheaper to do it in UK

So what courses would be a good idea, so I can then do the trade Australia without having to then retrain in Australia.

I been stressing about this now for ages, can anyone be helpful in some ideas.

My Hubbie is a gas engineer in the uk and it is a right pain transferring the qualification over to aus. Even if you do get qualified there is a requirement for some experience, and it really has to be a proper apprenticeship. Then when you move to aus you will only be partially recognised and will need to work alongside a licenced engineer for a year while doing gap training at night school (not cheap) before you can get your licence. So if I were you I would tran in aus if possible. You will be lucky to pass a gas engineer course in the uk in 2 years, unless you already have you nvq 2 in plumbing as that is a prerequisite. Hope this helps, and good luck. If you need any more info just let me know as I have been though it all.

Yes it helps, so it can take another year with a licensed engineer in AUS and go to college - before you can work for yourself anyway. So it might not be the best choice of course, by the sounds of it.

Are you going to make the move to AUS? If so where? Melbourne?

Edited by Chris Howitt

Can't hep, and actually wouldn't in this respect (intention in good faith) as I believe that your thinking is "skewed". You are asking about a trade that may get you into Oz...................IMHO, when looking to re-train, you view the trade as if, "Is this something I really want to do for a living, could I be doing something better suited to my potential?".....................not be viewing it as a "ticket to Oz"

but im I really want to get some sort of trade so I can at least afford to live properly.

I want to do a trade so I dont have to do any stupid sales jobs in australia or here for that matter.

I want to have a trade so that I make a steady income & work with my hands and have my own specialty. I do want to have a skill.

Ready to go, I heard that heating and gas engineers were needed less because it was warm in QLD thats all, im sure your hubby will know that though.

John, im saying the same thing as you, actually, so you'll have to give me some pointers now!!!!

Edited by Chris Howitt

John, im saying the same thing as you, actually, so you'll have to give me some pointers now!!!!

Can't help really mate as all (building) trades go up and down with the housing market. I know a couple of PIO members who are gas fitters/plumbers by trade who actually gave up on the tools. One earns as much as a plumbing whiolesale storeman as he did on the tools, and the other is a wardie (porter) in a hospital and earning nearly as much. That said, neither would risk going self-employed where they would have made much more money.

I would suggest nursing, as that used to be a job for life, but even that isn't assured nowadays.

Can't help really mate as all (building) trades go up and down with the housing market. I know a couple of PIO members who are gas fitters/plumbers by trade who actually gave up on the tools. One earns as much as a plumbing whiolesale storeman as he did on the tools, and the other is a wardie (porter) in a hospital and earning nearly as much. That said, neither would risk going self-employed where they would have made much more money.

I would suggest nursing, as that used to be a job for life, but even that isn't assured nowadays.

So whats a good way of making an income in a trade then without having to go to TAFE, which does not guarantee work.