Porter Davis Homes...

racht

Hello all!

I've stumbled across Porter Davis homes which, I have to say, look gorgeous. Just wondered if anyone has bought one or been in show homes and, if so, in which areas. Also, what was the area like? Any thoughts would be appreciated (good and bad).

Cheers:)

Rachael

Porter Davis are very well respected... I've been in most of the show homes and they are a cut above some of the shoddy stuff I've seen! Basically, you can buy your land and then put a house on it or you can buy a house and land package... the land will have already been tested and ok'd for building etc. there are so many ways to kill a pig I couldn't possibly start here but I am lead to believe that Porter Davis use their own builders, not contract out in order to keep to the 20 week building timescale. Just a small tip though... builders are always keen to point out the heaps and heaps of 'inclusions' but, IMHO I would urge you to identify what ISN"T included when making your choices! The show homes are usually top spec!

Porter Davis are very well respected... I've been in most of the show homes and they are a cut above some of the shoddy stuff I've seen! Basically, you can buy your land and then put a house on it or you can buy a house and land package... the land will have already been tested and ok'd for building etc. there are so many ways to kill a pig I couldn't possibly start here but I am lead to believe that Porter Davis use their own builders, not contract out in order to keep to the 20 week building timescale. Just a small tip though... builders are always keen to point out the heaps and heaps of 'inclusions' but, IMHO I would urge you to identify what ISN"T included when making your choices! The show homes are usually top spec!

I totally agree with your comments about checking whats NOT included instead of being sucked into what IS included.

Are Porter Davis nationwide?

Guest Michele

Hi Rachael,

If you would like to learn more about peoples experience with Porter Davis Homes and other building companies I would highly recommend checking the Building a New House section of the HomesOne forum.

Home Renovation & Building :: Index

You can read the blogs of people currently building and do a search per builder in the forum itself. Some companies come highly recommended and others not. This would be a good place to start your research.

Good luck

PS. I'm planning to build with Carlisle Homes

PPS. My website listed below has links to more than 30 builders in the Housing section

Hi Racht

While we were on our reccy last week we went to look at thier show homes (display homes) at Caroline springs, up the Western highway past Sunshine, they were really good, great designs but the caution about checking what is included or not is a good one, the kitchens and bathrooms were high spec but not included in the price, things like flooring, plantation blinds, doors and probably quite a few other things too are all extra. So the price of around $200, 000 for a four bedroom, two bathroom home sounds great but you need to watch those extras and remember that it does not include the land.

we looked at some other builders, thier kitchens were not as high spec but they were included in the price, you could pay extra for a different one.

The house prices are going up fast in Melbourne, our plans now are to buy land or a house and land package as soon as we can rather than wait too long.

But of course we still have to sell our house here and move the money over, hoping that the rate gets a bit better soon

I am also going to check out the HomesOne forum - thanks for the heads up:yes:.

Actually I got it wrong - I blame the jet lag - we looked at Porter Davis and Henley at Mernda, in a similar direction, north of Melbourne CBD

I liked the Henley layout too, I am sure we will look at few more builders once we finally get there

oo I am so excited, can't wait to get back there ..................................

• 9 months later...
Guest philp1289

My friend told me PD only has 6 years guarantee, I think it is ok. when I start to build PD home, I understand what is 6 years guarantee. Yes. it is 6 years guarantee, not 30 or 25 years guarantee like other builder.

6 years guarantee

6 years guarantee

6 years guarantee

6 years guarantee

6 years guarantee

Porter Davis .........................???????????????????

:arghh:

We're building with Metricon - they have some really nice designs. It came down to either a Metricon or a Porter Davis house for us, but in the end we went with Metricon (just because the layout was a bit better). So far so good, although they haven't put down a single brick yet so can't say too much!!

Guest The Pom Queen

We looked at lots of display homes but to get the house exactly as it was displayed you were looking at around $40k plus on top. We ended up purchasing a display home and got all the furniture including home theatre set up. Ours was a simonds home and I cannot fault them at all. When you buy an ex display house you know that everything is top quality, the paint is washable, the carpets are heavy duty and you even have the landscaping done.

• 5 months later...
Guest philp1289

Porter Davis has one problem. When you find some issues are wrong, they always say, ok, we fix. But close to the end they only fix some small issues, hard issues, they try to find vary excuse. The quality looks not same as previous Porter David. May company becomes big, all become to this.

Guest the terry's

Hi Racht,

We visited display centres at Lyndhurst (Marriott Waters), and another place at Pearcedale ? i think, we looked at Simmonds, Henley, Porter Davis, Metricon and other smaller builders.

We were impressed by the amount of space these houses could offer, even the so called small one's !!!

After we enquired we too were shocked at what wasn't included, however, if your not too picky and go for the 'builder's choice' the cost can be kept down to a minimum, and at the end of the day the price can be a big deciding factor. However, choosing how many bedrooms you should have, does it come with a rumpus or a home theatre, or an outside room was a bit like being in a sweetie shop for us and I must admit the 'oohhss and aahhhss' came thick and fast. Also knowing that you can purchase a house to be built on a piece of land of your choosing is great.

The only downside we could see is that most houses on new estates are built so close to the neighbours you could touch their house over your fence, which didn't seem too appealing.

All I can say is wherever your going to live check out as many display villages and builders as you can, they can look similar but can be very different underneath.

Helenx.

Guest laura r

hi

ive been round the porter davis homes and i think they are fab, also going round the henley homes at caroline spring this sunday as the double storeys look great there.

ive heard alot of bad stuff of people about metricon. my husband says were not going near them as there like barrets in england.

i like the metricon homes though, every one has diffrent veiws though.

laura

Guest The Pom Queen

I think everyone has to go around the Display Villages when they get there, my favourite display house as to be the Carlisle Homes Atlantique with the automated home theatre room and the twinkling ceiling. We ended up purchasing a double storey Simmonds Ex display house after they had finished using it, we got all the furniture included, even the props and the home theatre room stuff, it saved us thousands. Unfortunately, it is hard to keep it in display condition with the boys and animals running around, lol.

If people can afford I recommend purchasing the ex displays as everything is top quality, the paint is washable, the carpets are hardwaring, you have a landscaped garden, high ceilings etc and if your lucky like we were you could get all the furniture thrown in.

There are lots of display villages around, there are two in Lyndhurst one on Marriott Waters and one on The Rise.

• 8 months later...
Guest lindapat

Hello all!

I've stumbled across Porter Davis homes which, I have to say, look gorgeous. Just wondered if anyone has bought one or been in show homes and, if so, in which areas. Also, what was the area like? Any thoughts would be appreciated (good and bad).

Cheers:)

Rachael

hi rachael,

I purchased a porter davis display home 12 months ago. I love it. they are fantastic builders. I also would like to point out that if you were to purchase a display home they lease it from you whilst they display it. I recieved $2533.00 per month for rent. When i took possesion of the house , they were fantatic, they gave me the theater system and screen, they bent over backwards for me. I also ended up purchasing all the furniture as well, which i got for a steal....... good luck house hunting...

Guest The Pom Queen

Wow Rach an old thread here, how is your house build coming along, I can't remember how long you had to wait before you could move in.

Hi Linda, welcome to PIO, I love the Porter Davis homes, where did you end up buying?

2 people we know are both building with PD and are both finding that they are very slow to complete when it gets to the later stages of the build. That said, we also know someone who was happy with PD and had no significant hassles. They are impressive looking houses, especialy the 2 storey.

We are just finishing building with Simmons (Parkside design). With all fittings and inclusions (but not the driveway or carpets) we managed to get a final contract price fixed at $251,000. This is for a 2 storey / 310 sq metres size house.

Somebody said the average Brit house is about 80 sq metres.

Wow this is an old thread being dug up! We very nearly built with PD (I love their design and whoever does their interior design is amazing) but I wasnt too keen on the sales man who hid a few costs from me so we went with Carlisle and so far have been happy with them (although the build only started last Friday)! Will take between 16-18 weeks to complete.

Rach x

Guest The Pom Queen

Please don't tell me you went for the Atlantique complete with sparkling ceiling in the home theatre room, if so I am sooooo jealous lol:tongue:

We are building with Carlisle too. Nearly finished actually. Haven't had any problems whatsoever with them. It's been such a straightforward process for us. No delays, everything done as per the schedule, and we are kept informed of progress regularly. Even when our bank cocked up and a progress payment was two weeks' late, we had no hassle from them.

As a rental agent house cleaner I get to see the insides of loads of new houses. Some builders I wouldn't give the time of day to.

We are about a month away from handover and after almost 2 years of renting, I really cannot wait to have a home.

T x

Guest The Pom Queen
We are building with Carlisle too. Nearly finished actually. Haven't had any problems whatsoever with them. It's been such a straightforward process for us. No delays, everything done as per the schedule, and we are kept informed of progress regularly. Even when our bank cocked up and a progress payment was two weeks' late, we had no hassle from them.

As a rental agent house cleaner I get to see the insides of loads of new houses. Some builders I wouldn't give the time of day to.

We are about a month away from handover and after almost 2 years of renting, I really cannot wait to have a home.

T x

Wow Tracy that's great, it will be wonderful to have your own home, it makes you feel so much more settled. Where have you built, are you staing in NWS?

I do love the Carlisle displays they are out of this world.:notworthy:

Hi Kate. Long time!!

We moved from NWS last year. We are building on Heritage Springs in Paki. Very big plots there, which appealed to us.

Yeah the Carlisle displays are good, and the real thing is looking just as good :biggrin:.

Hope things are good with you.

T x

Archived