Boston Marathon bombed 12 killed

Petals

Guest chris955
Serves as a good reminder for people in the UK that there is still a huge threat after the US the UK is public enemy number 2 as far as the extremist groups are concerned, these animals know no limits.

Give it a rest FFS, we all know that any country involved in Afghanistan is a potential target.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris955
wow how everyone assuming it was muslims it is america they have a few home grown incidents there too!

Some are obviously assuming Muslims are behind it but lets face it they have good reason make the assumption.

I'd say it's at least 50/50 that this is home grown terrorism in America anyway, quite possible an extremist Libertarian group with the timing on both tax day and "Patriots Day" in Massachusetts. There's no way to know for sure but the lack of claims by the perpetrators and different style of attack (i.e. not suicide) have even American pundits suspecting one of their own.

Some are obviously assuming Muslims are behind it but lets face it they have good reason make the assumption.

not in the USA they don't! I think you find more "domestic" terrorism is in play in the US.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/16/boston-marathon-explosions-notes-reactions

Have a read sums it up pretty well!

Edited by Salma
added link

Lets not kid ourselves. Terrorist must be killed pre-emptively as they show no concern about killing as many as they can.

Just look at 9-11 and the London Tube bombings.

US has saved many thousands of lives by killing these Al-Quaida leaders over the years with drone strikes.

I fully support their actions.

Guest Guest 47403
Give it a rest FFS, we all know that any country involved in Afghanistan is a potential target.

To bomb the US and UK are the ultimate in propaganda for muslim extremists, see past your your blinkered view for one minute eh?

Let me suggest a different interpretation, Parleycross and Baz.

The ultimate propaganda for Muslim extremists is for America to kill innocents in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan or wherever. Every time there is "collateral damage" from a drone strike, it serves as a recruiting poster for the extremists. Put yourself on the other side--if your friends or relatives were killed in an Al Qaeda terror attack, would your instinct be to lie down and respect Al Qaeda or to fight back? Muslims are no different to you and I in terms of their reaction to attacks.

In any case, I suspect the benefit of killing the Al Qaeda leaders is vastly overplayed. They're not a highly organised and centralised group; rather they're just a collection of independent cells. The reality is that any group of radicals can buy some nitrate fertiliser and call themselves the Slough or Cairns branch of Al Qaeda. Few, if any, so-called Al Qaeda attacks are organised by the leaders the drones attack.

By all means take out anyone in Al Qaeda you can find--but killing civilians along with them is totally counter productive and probably makes the terror threat worse, not better.

Hmmm...if Boston turns out to be a home-grown attack, who supports sending the drones to the Libertarian Party HQ or maybe the Fox studios?

Guest Ptp113
So why was The Bali bomb aimed at Australians.

So the other nationalities killed at the Sari Club etc aren't worth a mention?

Lets not kid ourselves. Terrorist must be killed pre-emptively as they show no concern about killing as many as they can.

Just look at 9-11 and the London Tube bombings.

US has saved many thousands of lives by killing these Al-Quaida leaders over the years with drone strikes.

I fully support their actions.

Wonder how many terrorists are created through the killing of innocent civilians through collaterial damage though.

Guest Ptp113
Where did I say that?.....Are you making things up again?

You said 'aimed at Australians' (see above). Dust in your eyes from the sweeping maybe?

Apparently there were nails in the bombs, so horrible. That poor little boy that died :( I didnt see who the other person was that died, just noticed the picture of the boy.

IRA used nail bombs in London in the 80s. They used to throw them through resturant windows which resulted in grills on windows.

Those killed in Boston,included a Chinese uni student and a young local woman. Some 170 injured with around a dozen in serious condition. Nain bombs are especially nasty in that they are aimed to inflict maximun damage and injury.

Guest Guest 47403
So why was The Bali bomb aimed at Australians.

Was it aimed exclusively at Australians? I thought it was designed to kill and maim as many innocent people as possible in a popular holiday resort visited by many different nationalities, 88 Australians, 38 Indonesian, 27 Britons, 7 Americans and 5 Swedish citizens were killed by the bali bomb, terrorist bombs by there nature are not selective in who they kill, don't bring your hatred of all things Australian in to it.

Bali in the eyes of the terrorists was a huge sucess in that it killed a lot of people, but for them to achieve something of a similar scale on US or UK soil is ultimate goal.

Guest chris955
Where did I say that?.....Are you making things up again?

Much was made at the time of the belief it was aimed primarily at Australia because of that countries participation in the war against terrorism.

Collateral damage does occur in all wars, whether in conventional wars in places such as Iraq, Afghanistan or this new war on terrorism.

It is inescapable.

The so-called "war on terrorism" is different though. It's not a single country you can declare war on. The terrorism doesn't have anything like majority support in the various countries where Al Qaeda exists. Instead, it's the province of the extremist minority. The trouble is, the more innocents that are killed, the more previously-moderate people are driven in the direction of extremism. It only takes a few more people annoyed with the USA to mount yet another terrorist attack.

The Us doesn't target innocent civilians with their drones. That is totally offensive to suggest so.

They do try to take out terrorists with their drones and have been very successful doing so.

Good on them and I support them in taking out Al Quaida and other insurgents with drones.

It is unfortunate if an occasional error leads to bystanders getting killed. But the terrorist deliberately kill innocent people and as many as possible.

We need to kill these terrorists before they kill us. That is the reality of the situation.

[GetSunshine So should we allow the 1 to come over and kill 100s?

Mumbai attack shows what 10 can do to a major city and they have to be taken out if the Government of that country is not able to control its own.]

Seriously,

how can you talk about killing human beings in such a blase manner? To dehumanise "The Other" is a guaranteed formula for continuing hatred and war.

There were series of car bombs throughout Iraq yesterday killing scores of people. How would you tell the difference between the perpatrators and the innocent victims if "everyone over there" is the same and should be killed to make you feel safer? And it would be an illusory feeling of safety - real safety doesn't come from killing but from building a just and lasting peace.

Could you really kill 48 civilians a day to justify your worldview and live with a clean concience?

I speak as someone who has both killed terrorists and given the order to kill whilst secure in an Ops Room watching a Rover Downlink of a mortar attack. And I sleep very well at night. If I had your views I couldn't live with myself.

You agree with me. Killing terrorists is absolutely necessary and justified.

No I don't. You've put words in my mouth .

Go back and read what I've said and read what you've said.

I may even have replied properly and set my full position out if you hadn't been such a numpty.

Edited by calNgary
removed personal comments

Guest chris955
I recall the Oklohama bombing in 95. Muslims got blamed pretty much straight away. This sounds it could be similar in right wing nut cases celebrating Patriots Day....

I dont know if people are generally blaming Muslims, my point is that it isnt surprising for them to make that initial assumption.

Guest guest74886
Collateral damage does occur in all wars, whether in conventional wars in places such as Iraq, Afghanistan or this new war on terrorism.

It is inescapable.

It is escapable,you simply don't go to war to satisfy the desire for revenge or to protect your economic advantage, hiding behind some set of fake statistics or so called intelligence.