Visa Expiry Issue

igor90

Hi guys, i would really appreciate if you can help me out on my situation here.

At the moment i am holding a subclass 573 student visa that is due to expire on the 1st of September, 2013. At the moment i am doing the last semester of the course, and i am expected to finish my exams on the 5th of June. It will take additional 3 weeks to get my results, and if its all good, another 3 weeks to get the transcript from the University.

Now what i was wondering is, am i allowed to leave the country and go overseas in June after my exams, and come back in August before my visa expires? I've heard that your visa expires automatically 28 days after you ifnish your course, but from an un-reliable source, so i am not sure whether its true or not. I would probably be back around mid August and have 2 weeks to do my medical checks and collect all the necessary paperwork in order to apply for the next visa. Btw my CoE expires on the 1st of July.

My biggest fear would be to come back in August and get rejected on the entry in Australia. I want to be sure i dont mess up things.

I would really appreciate if someone can help me out on this.

Let me know if you need more details

Thanks

Guest Geordie lass
Hi guys, i would really appreciate if you can help me out on my situation here.

At the moment i am holding a subclass 573 student visa that is due to expire on the 1st of September, 2013. At the moment i am doing the last semester of the course, and i am expected to finish my exams on the 5th of June. It will take additional 3 weeks to get my results, and if its all good, another 3 weeks to get the transcript from the University.

Now what i was wondering is, am i allowed to leave the country and go overseas in June after my exams, and come back in August before my visa expires? I've heard that your visa expires automatically 28 days after you ifnish your course, but from an un-reliable source, so i am not sure whether its true or not. I would probably be back around mid August and have 2 weeks to do my medical checks and collect all the necessary paperwork in order to apply for the next visa. Btw my CoE expires on the 1st of July.

My biggest fear would be to come back in August and get rejected on the entry in Australia. I want to be sure i dont mess up things.

I would really appreciate if someone can help me out on this.

Let me know if you need more details

Thanks

You should be able to leave the country and return anytime on this visa. It does not expire 28 days after your course ends. It will expire as per the date on your visa. As long as you are back before 1st September you should be ok. What are your plans after your visa expires, if you don't mind me asking?

I have seen people who have had their student visa cancelled at the end of their courses. I have no idea why. Mine ended nearly three months after my course ended and I had no problems. I didn't however try to leave the country.

Personally I would prefer not to risk it if I were in your situation.

You should be able to leave the country and return anytime on this visa. It does not expire 28 days after your course ends. It will expire as per the date on your visa. As long as you are back before 1st September you should be ok. What are your plans after your visa expires, if you don't mind me asking?

Well so far besides obviously the course that i am doing, i've done the IELTS but only managed to get 8 overall with 7.5 in both speaking and writing, so i will have to retake the test again because i am targeting to get 8 in each band and apply for 189 visa with 65 points. Alternatively, i can apply for 190 and get the 5 points from the state sponsorship and apply with 60 points for 190 visa, but i think the second option its not as safe as the first one, as you need to be invited by the state.. Any advice is welcome :biggrin:

Ultimately, i think i will have to apply for temporary residency only because as i mentioned in the first post, i will get my transcript in mid-july, and only then i can apply for skills recognition with ACS which i will need in order to apply for any of the visa's that ive mentioned above. For that document i will have to wait from 8 to 12 weeks which is around October, 1-2 months after my visa expiration.

To be honest i dont think its possible to gather all the documents before 1st of September even if i dont travel overseas because of the ACS processing time. I think 485 is my only choice after i complete my course. I am seeing a migration agent tomorrow to discuss if i will be able to travel before i come back and apply for 485 visa.

On topic, i found this on the website of my University in the info section.

Visa Expiry Date

The length of your current student visa, for the program you are completing, depends on the length of the electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE) you used to apply for your student visa:

• If your eCOE was less than 10 months in length, your visa is usually valid for another 28 days after your eCOE expires.

• If your eCOE was greater than 10 months your visa is usually valid for 2 months from the date your eCOE expires. The general exception is when your eCOE expires at the end of the academic year (after November 1): the expiry date on your student visa will usually be March 15 of the following year. If this situation applies to you, you can stay in Australia on your student visa until this expiry date.

I guess according to this i am free to travel overseas and come back before the expiration of my visa and apply for 485 visa before the 1st of September.

• 4 years later...

Hey @igor90 would you mind sharing what you d me as I am in the same boat.  My details are as follows:

- Exams end on 19th Novmeber- 2017

- Results released on 01- December 2017

- COE expires on 31st- December 2017

- Student Visa expires 01-March 2018

- Award date of degree sometime in mid January 2018

I want to travel after my exams end i.e. from 19th November 2017; I want to know till when can I travel can it be till the second week of January i.e. after my results and coe both end or should I plan to return  by December end before my COE expires. My other alternative is to wait to apply for the 485 temporary visa after my results are released and then travel either on it or get a bridging visa B (though I read on the dibp website you cannot gain a bridging visa B if you currently hold a substantive visa which would be my student visa:p) Would greatly appreciate anyone's help on whether they allow rentry into Australia after coe expires but student visa is valid. Thanks

On 4/15/2013 at 22:50, igor90 said:

On topic, i found this on the website of my University in the info section.

Visa Expiry Date

The length of your current student visa, for the program you are completing, depends on the length of the electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE) you used to apply for your student visa:

• If your eCOE was less than 10 months in length, your visa is usually valid for another 28 days after your eCOE expires.
  •  
  • If your eCOE was greater than 10 months your visa is usually valid for 2 months from the date your eCOE expires. The general exception is when your eCOE expires at the end of the academic year (after November 1): the expiry date on your student visa will usually be March 15 of the following year. If this situation applies to you, you can stay in Australia on your student visa until this expiry date.

I guess according to this i am free to travel overseas and come back before the expiration of my visa and apply for 485 visa before the 1st of September.

• 10 months later...