What to Wear to Job Interview - Software Industry

simonbrads

Hi guys,

I have my first interview in Perth tomorrow. The question is, what should I wear? This is for a programming job at a mid-sized software house.

I'm hoping that smart trousers with a shirt & tie will do? I don't have a suit, although I could possibly borrow one from my brother.

Thanks!

Simon

Go fully suited and booted and properly groomed. I had an interview a few years ago for a large global IT company and out of all the applications the decision was so tight, I didn't get the job cos I didn't dress-up!!!!

Go Suited and if that's not possible, at-least wear a tie. Try to be as formal as possible. I had interviews few months back and all the candidates were suited.

Full suit, no questions, my husband interviewed in full suit in the height of summer (hes a Software architect), vastly unprofessional not to wear one. He wears a tie, shirt tie etc to work every day now and on friday dress down it has to be a collar (company rules not his!)

Thanks for all the opinions and good luck wishes. :) It seems the general consensus is to go for a suit, so I've borrowed one from my brother. The legs are a couple centimetres too long for me, but it's the best I'm going to do by 10 a.m. tomorrow! I only hope it stays below 30 tomorrow. ;)

I agree, I have found Perth to be more formal dress-wise in the IT industry but a badly fitting suit may be worse, get an HONEST opinion from someone close to you on what you look smartest in. It would have to be a very close call for the absence of a jacket to make a difference.