Citizenship Application Checklist

peterhuli

Hi all,

I am finally eligible to apply for citizenship in June (I will have fulfilled the 4 year requirement) and planning to get started on the paperwork early.

Can someone please advise a checklist of exactly what paperwork is required? I don't want to go to the expense of asking a migration agent (maybe one on here can answer my query?) and I find the Immigration website too confusing!

thanks!

Edited by peterhuli

Hi all,

I am finally eligible to apply for citizenship in June (I will have fulfilled the 4 year requirement) and planning to get started on the paperwork early.

Can someone please advise a checklist of exactly what paperwork is required? I don't want to go to the expense of asking a migration agent (maybe one on here can answer my query?) and I find the Immigration website too confusing!

thanks!

Hello , good start is to go through this checklist http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/documents/pid_docs/conferral_checklist/ , you may then ask any question , good luck :)

I've done a bit of digging around on the immigration website and I've made up the below requirements list.... Can some please advise if I'm correct and that I haven't left anything out?

a. Complete forms:

1. Online application or paper based form 1300t;

2. Identity Declaration: paper form 1195.

b. Get certified copies of:

1. Proof of Identity Documents: Drivers Licence and Passport, incl. visa label;

2. Proof of Address: Utility Bill;

3. Evidence of DOB: Birth Certificate;

4. Proof of Arrival in Australia: Old passport with 417 & 457 visa labels.

c. Obtain:

1. Passport photos for Identity Declaration.

d. Submit application forms and accompanying documentation, wait for appointment and sit citizenship exam during appointment.

e. Bring along original documentation to appointment.

* If overseas for over 90 days since residency was granted, overseas police check certs need to be provided.

We applied for our citizenship last week, and this is what I did:

1. Scanned all necessary documents, altered the size of the files (they can't be more than 500Kb each) and saved them with an appropriate name. The documents were

a. Passport data pages for the four of us (two adults, two under 16)

b. Passport page showing date of entry for each

c. Birth certificates for all of us (the full ones rather than the short versions)

d. Driving licenses for OH and I

e. A utility bill for OH and I

f. Marriage certificate to prove my change of name

2. Filled in and paid for two online applications 1300t, one including my OH, and one including myself and the children.

3. When I had submitted and paid for the forms, it came up with a summary sheet where I could upload the documents which I did. It also gave a ref number which I printed out.

4. An email was received almost immediately on submitting the application to say that they had received it (there was one email for each application).

5. About four hours later I received a further email to advise us of when our citizenship test had been booked for. I submitted the applications on the 18th April, the test is for the 2nd May which is just two weeks later. I have no idea as to whether this is a usual timeframe. I did indicate on the applications that we have an overseas holiday booked for September, although I don't know if this had any bearing on how quickly the test was allocated. They were kind enough to have arranged for OH and I to sit the test at the same time, again I don't know if this is usual.

6. We will attend the test on 2nd May and I will take the following with us:

a. Completed National Police Checking Service application/consent form for OH and I

b. Completed Identity Form 1195 for each of us with passport photos

c. All passports, birth certificates, the utility bills, marriage certificate and driving licenses that I scanned and sent with the application.

I guess then we will sit and wait to be approved and then for our citizenship ceremony which I am hoping will be before September because our youngest needs a passport and I would rather not have to pay for a British passport.

• 7 months later...