You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

minnie659

Do you pay import tax on items under 2 years?

Hi,

our friend relocated to Brisbane and was stung with a huge tax for a bike that was a year old. They said any item under 2 years you have to pay tax in Australia? Is this true?

1) we do not have receipts for all of our items, so how would they know how old it was

2) would be better off buying 2nd hand decent items to bring in case we are charged?

we are after a new sofa and drawers. A new coffee table. I am worried about this tax.

Thanks

How did they know the bike was under 2 years old? I thought you only had to own things for 12 months. I am stressing about this as well as have TV less than year old

I don't actually know, I will have to get a direct answer from them as I heard this through my husband. I am getting worried too.

I thought it was 12 months. The AQIS form I just filled in with crown relocations asked for a list of items that we are taking under 12 months old, I spoke to our relocation agent to clarify and she said it was just electrical items of value that they are interested in and not general day to day stuff. We listed our new Hoover and a couple of other things.

I wonder why his bike was charged. I wonder if it was under a yr. I will get my husband to ask again. Thanks

if you remove the packing from the new items how will they know?say you have owned some items but never used them and have proof they are older than 12 months is this ok,what if you have something that is older than 12 months,not been used but no longer have proof of when purchaqsed but was able to find it online and proof it was available a while back?and whats happens if say some items are wedding gifts etc

On the rare occasions where customs do pull something up, it is up to you to prove that you have owned the item more than 12 months. If you can't you will have to pay the import duty. It is only on items worth more than $1,000 that this rule applies.

ah great so I dont need to worry about clothes shoes and small household engagement presents that are over a year old but still all unused in original packaging

It would be better to take things out of packaging just in case your container is inspected. We risked it and left a few things in packaging, but we weren't inspected. To the earlier part of the thread, there is really nothing to worry about.

We bought a new 3 piece suite two months before coming over along with several other household items bikes etc...we just claimed they were older and that we didn't have the receipts. This was accepted. Just make sure you remove all packaging and it should be fine.