Fat People Are Whingers

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen
At least smokers admit that they are harming their bodies! Obesity is increasing rapidly and the best bit is most of these fridge huggers try to blame imaginary medical conditions

I really wish my medical problems were imaginary it would have saved me having the last op. You really do have no idea

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with what you're saying, but I do think think that it would help to have education about food in schools. Show kids how to cook simple, inexpensive meals. I did home economics at school and I cooked a lot at home as a teenager, so it's easy for me to cook from scratch. I'm also at home full time, so have lots of time to plan and prepare meals. My kids cook often, but I know they're lucky in that I'm interested, know how to teach them and I've never cared about the amount of mess they make doing it (even to the point of having the bottom burned out of pans and bench tops being ruined!!).There are those who don't have those skills. Education should be about life skills as well as the three R's. We teach about relationships, sex, smoking, so why is food any less important?

We should make people very aware of the crap that's in so much stuff we can buy, to make it 'tastier', or to last longer. It could be done as part of science lessons. After all, most of the rubbish in food has comes from science. It's ok saying that people have to take responsibility for their own lives, and I agree with you, but the knowledge and skills have to be learned first.

One of my friends, who is very intelligent, watched me shelling peas once and asked me what on earth I was doing to those beans? I told her that were peas, but she didn't believe me and said that peas came from the supermarket in bags. She was only half joking.. She lived in a city when she was growing up and had never seen food growing in a field!

LOL! I have a friend (ended up a professor of organic chemistry, extraordinarily clever) who said "what are they?" When seeing peas on the vine in our garden. She too thought they grew in supermarket freezers!

Teaching about nutrition is a good idea but over time the prevailing wisdom of a healthy diet changes - for nearly 30 yrs we were vegetarian, partly because it was touted as the healthy option (and my natural preference is not to eat animals) but then the DH decided that paleo was the way to go and (I was in yet another "I need to lose weight" moment) I went along for the ride (mostly) until the lure of caramel macchiatos and Green and Black's cherry chocolate drove me off the straight and narrow path. We now tend to live by the inverted pyramid rather than the traditional one !

I do agree that if your calorie expenditure exceeds your calorie intake then you will lose weight but for some of us who have been alternately starving and gorging over the years, we have so screwed up our metabolism that our bodies hang on to every fat gram and weight loss is very difficult. I know how hard it is to lose weight, it's a bloody nightmare and if you can't exercise for whatever reason then it is even worse (you can't expend cals much beyond your basal metabolic rate and that's not very many in a day). It is so easy for those who have never struggled with their weight to be critical of us fatties unfortunately.

I think my generation was unfortunate, too, in that we were the generation that got the rationing rebound. When rationing ended, food, especially that which had been rationed took on a huge value - you were rewarded with food, celebrated with food, had love shown by food, etc - how many of us had to think of the starving children in Africa if we didn't finish our firsts - and you only got afters when your plate was clean. Add to that I had an obese grandmother and an overweight mother who worked at Cadburys (think boxes of "seconds" every week) and my goose was cooked (so to speak). I was put on my first diet at 11 when the doc gave me amphetamines. (Off soap box now!)

i say good luck to anyone who is trying to lose weight. It's probably one of the hardest things you will do in your life. It is essentially going to come down to will power for most of us. I can vouch for myfitnesspal if anyone wants to bolster their will power with a tracking app!

I really wish my medical problems were imaginary it would have saved me having the last op. You really do have no idea

I did not actual refer to you in that comment. I said previously it did not apply to all but it applies to the majority. Do you believe the majority of overweight people have medical problems that caused their weight problems?

Guest The Pom Queen
I did not actual refer to you in that comment. I said previously it did not apply to all but it applies to the majority. Do you believe the majority of overweight people have medical problems that caused their weight problems?

It may not have been personal to me but to say "Fridge Huggers try to blame imaginary medical conditions" was way below the belt when you don't know people

Guest The Pom Queen
I was not refering to anyone in particular and i am sorry if i believe people having to call the fire brigade to get them out of their beds is not acceptable to me

You are trying to worm your way out of it. You did not say your comments were aimed only at people who needed the fire brigade to get them out of bed......

No they weren't just aimed at the extreme they are aimed at people who eat too much and don't do exercise and feed their kids too much. It is an increasing problem in modern society.

I agree, there are to many people knocking about who are just greedy and lazy and the two mixed together is a recipe for a fatty, you see it everywhere from America to Australia and back here and it is awful to see young children growing up fat and in my opinion is a form of child abuse.

Clearly if you have medical conditions or have been ill then that is different.