Fat People Are Whingers

Guest The Pom Queen

It is, its simple physics. Same as saying 'energy in=energy out'.

If you expend more energy than you intake, that energy MUST come from somewhere: usually from fat. When that runs out, muscle.

Stress and depression can cause weight to go up or down. But for the weight to go up, it will be due to overeating and/or lack of exercise.

Much as I like you Harpo... your answer is total crap. You have no friggin idea of the number of people who have health related or medication issues that cause weight gain. Sorry you have just scored nil out of 10 from me for the first time ever in one of your answers on this forum.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would be too easy to say that all weight issues are due to medical issues - that is simply not the case. However, for some people it certainly is health related.

For the vast majority though, it is simply a case of too much food and not enough exercise. That is the reality that people wish to avoid.

I don't think children have any part in their weight; its the parents that are the blame in that scenario I really feel awful for some of the kids I see. I'm not saying baby fat; lord knows little toddlers need their fat and baby fat is normal. I'm talking seven year olds that can't run. Perhaps worse than this are parents that are so conscious about their own weight that they make their kids very conscious of their own in an unhealthy way. Both are, in my opinion, forms of abuse.

No one is saying all weight-related issues are result of illness, only that you can't write off an entire obese nation on something as black and white as 'calories go in, calories come out'. Since when is anything that clear cut?

I don't think children have any part in their weight; its the parents that are the blame in that scenario I really feel awful for some of the kids I see. I'm not saying baby fat; lord knows little toddlers need their fat and baby fat is normal. I'm talking seven year olds that can't run. Perhaps worse than this are parents that are so conscious about their own weight that they make their kids very conscious of their own in an unhealthy way. Both are, in my opinion, forms of abuse.

No one is saying all weight-related issues are result of illness, only that you can't write off an entire obese nation on something as black and white as 'calories go in, calories come out'. Since when is anything that clear cut?

Unfortunately it really is that clear cut. The array of sugar laden foods in the supermarkets and occupying peoples pantries is a big clue. When people stop eating so much and sitting so much they lose weight.

Part of the problem is that people are seduced by food that claims to be low fat or 100 % fat free - a load of old tosh as it is infact full of sugar.

There are those that have medical issues, but most do not.

It would be too easy to say that all weight issues are due to medical issues - that is simply not the case. However, for some people it certainly is health related.

For the vast majority though, it is simply a case of too much food and not enough exercise. That is the reality that people wish to avoid.

You're right, of course. For most people it is eating too much, but there is a proportion of people who can't help being overweight. As we don't know who is in which category we shouldn't make assumptions or judgements about them.

I agree that letting children become overweight is appalling, but until a bag of 6 apples is cheaper than 24 chocolate biscuits or 30 bags of crisps I don't know that we're going to see much change, sadly.

You're right, of course. For most people it is eating too much, but there is a proportion of people who can't help being overweight. As we don't know who is in which category we shouldn't make assumptions or judgements about them.

I agree that letting children become overweight is appalling, but until a bag of 6 apples is cheaper than 24 chocolate biscuits or 30 bags of crisps I don't know that we're going to see much change, sadly.

Really good point and I agree that is a huge problem that sugary/fatty food is often so much cheaper than the healthy alternatives.

I do agree that for the most part, it is people who have little control over their will power and have deeply ingrained habits from years and years of eating the wrong things and in the wrong way. However it is unfair to assume all fat people are that way because they eat too much.

As for healthy food being expensive, it drives me totally bonkers when people tell me that. You only have to shop at the right places and make a list and stick to it. Food for myself and my husband, lunch, dinner, breakkie and snacks, all made from (for the most part) scratch...£32, for a week. If I'd bought chocolate and ready meals that would be way higher. I buy thrifty though and love a bargain!

I do agree that a lot of 'fat free' or low fat foods are worse for you. To put it simply, yogurts with no sugar and no fat = chemical **** storm.

i have never seen fat parents with slim kids shame on you .cook a balanced diet instead of jumping for the 4x4 to the drive through for a kwik fix i think oz is the worst mainly you mothers driving your big cars get out of em and walk you might lose some weight. i could of said worse but you know the truth .and no way am i having a go at mothers to be or present .just the lazy fat men and women with no excuse

Edited by lebourvellec
Forum Rules

I do agree that for the most part, it is people who have little control over their will power and have deeply ingrained habits from years and years of eating the wrong things and in the wrong way. However it is unfair to assume all fat people are that way because they eat too much.

As for healthy food being expensive, it drives me totally bonkers when people tell me that. You only have to shop at the right places and make a list and stick to it. Food for myself and my husband, lunch, dinner, breakkie and snacks, all made from (for the most part) scratch...£32, for a week. If I'd bought chocolate and ready meals that would be way higher. I buy thrifty though and love a bargain!

I do agree that a lot of 'fat free' or low fat foods are worse for you. To put it simply, yogurts with no sugar and no fat = chemical **** storm.

It is true. If you cook from scratch it's way cheaper than pre prepared rubbish, but there are so many people who don't think they can cook because they've never been shown, either by parents or school. There is a problem, however, when you can buy 28 Penguin biscuits or a 30 packet bag of crisps for £1.50 which is the price of a bag of 6 apples.

I can't see why the biscuits and crisps can't be taxed at a higher rate and the money used to educate people about cooking or to reduce the price of staple foods such as fruit, veg, and meat.

i'm lucky, I don't have to worry too much about the cost of what I put in my trolley, but I know there are lots out there who do and I know I'd be tempted to think that those biscuits could do 8 break time snacks for my kids instead of 2 for the apples.

I do agree with parts of what you say, BUT, you can't tar everyone with the same brush. I see people who are overweight who may be sat in the park stuffing their face with a cream cake, its same when I was in hospital and I see lung cancer patients going outside for a cigarette, now that is one that really irks me, especially as I've never had a cigarette in my life. However, I don't go judging all smokers or all patients with lung cancer.

mell you don't need to smoke to get lung cancer how old are you do you remember the 70's 80's 90's naughtys if so you grew up in that smoking enviroment you are still here.my folks are still here and smoking was more exceptable .mell what about fat people asking for the last burger or kebab is that any more strange .just do your self a favour and walk behind a bus that will take in more poision than any smoky pub ps dont forget we all gonna live forever

This got me thinking - never considered my boy when reading this thread but your comments re your daughter reminded me of an incident last term at school when DS (10yrs) got upset about the kids calling him names. He said they were calling him scarecrow. I'd never heard of this and said eh? It means he's skinny! He is very tall for his age and could have a bit more beef on him but he never stops eating, gets low blood sugar, and is not terribly active so I have no idea how he is burning it off. To be honest the boys calling him names I would consider quite overweight for their age but you wouldn't think it would even come up as an issue amongst boys in this age group, just goes to show! My main concern is my boy already has a poor self image and we really don't need to add weight to the mix. If this is an issue for tween boys I hate to think how hard it is for girls....

I can relate to this. My 11 year old daughter is taller and looks older than her peers - she has no weight, but is not super skinny either. I have her involved in drama and dancing now to help build her self confidence and it has worked out perfectly. She's mixing with a different group of children who seem to accept her exactly as she is.

Your son, like my daughter, is probably just going through a growth spurt and when they get to Secondary School, the other children will "catch" them up.

Two little witches in my daughters classs know better than to 'pick' on her or refer to the way she looks anymore.

Running in the evenings I make sure I only run a particular circuit (I interval run) so that the slimmer models can't see me or over take me! Those first few runs I felt embarassed, I thought, people will be looking at me thinking 'What an unfit person, look at how red she is and how slow she runs', but pretty soon I felt proud to be out there running. No matter how slow I run, no matter how much I am exerted from just running a minute at a time, I am still doing it when so many don't bother. So I think I would still go to the gym if I could, I really can't afford to, but if I could I would. You have just as much right to be there as anyone else! Those gym bunnies started off unfit too at some point I'm sure...and they're all slurping revolting energy drinks!

I run too and sound just like you, though I am of an age that I don't care what others think. I joined a ladies Meet & Train group - its not a Keep Fit group - these people are proper athletes, plus me. I do not have the physique of an athlete, I am more than middle aged, I get red in the face and in a 6k race last Wednesday, out of 189 people, I came 3rd last - but I did a PB (personal best time) and the two behind me, were young!!! Get out there and strut your stuff. Be proud of your achievements. I am of mine and I love to run and have goals of doing a HM in August and maybe the DCM in October - at the moment I can run 10k without stopping so I have a long way to go, but it starts with 1 step. And energy drinks (green slop) should be banned!

i have never seen fat parents with slim kids shame on you .cook a balanced diet instead of jumping for the 4x4 to the drive through for a kwik fix i think oz is the worst mainly you mothers driving your big f*****g cars get out of em and walk you might lose some weight. i could of said worse but you know the truth .and no way am i having a go at mothers to be or present .just the lazy fat men and women with no excuse

I'm fat, my kids are slim.

I feel very sorry for the children I see that are over weight by over eating fattening foods - they can be bullied and ostraticsed by their peers and it really is a form of child abuse.

I have done a few 'charity bag packing' exercises at the local supermarkets - and the utter trash that people buy, on a weekly basis, is astounding. Minerals (coke, 7up, fanta, etc), litres and litres of the stuff - I know adults that drink coke for breakfast - its disgusting. Just because coke is buy 1 get 1 free doesn't mean you buy 6 two litre bottles! Fish in batter, chicken nuggets, ready meals etc, packets of biscuits, muti packs of crisps, utter rubbish. Very few children know their vegetables and fruit, and if you could believe some of the polls in the papers, some children don't know what a carrot looks like, or that milk comes from cows.

Have a look in the trolley of the person beside you and see what they have - I found it no different in Ireland to Australia.

Adults can be lazy and not want to cook. Fine if its only you you have to worry about, not so good when you are cooking for others. Its not up to schools/government to educate you about the food you put in your mouth. Have some personal responsibility and educate yourself about what you are eating and feeding your children. Its on the packaging, which will give you some info. But also, we all have computers and the internet, look up receipes - remember meat and two veg - it is what it is - grill a chop, steam some vege, make yourself gravy - done.

If, like me, you are a bit chunky, stop buying crap - better for your wallet and your wasteline.

Some people on this thread have been very honest about their and their families health issues and I wish you and yours well. But we cannot deny that some of us (me) would benefit from locking the kitchen door and eating the key, rather than the contents of the fridge.

I'm fat, my kids are slim.

explain fat do you mean pregnancy fat after kids or F*** it i am fat due to doing F**K all and running down to maccas in the4x4 for a quick fix while hubbys away fat . OK my wife, my partner, my friend ,cannot drive .all my kids walk to school and she walks with them, you wanna try it.

explain fat do you mean pregnancy fat after kids or F*** it i am fat due to doing F**K all and running down to maccas in the4x4 for a quick fix while hubbys away fat . OK my wife, my partner, my friend ,cannot drive .all my kids walk to school and she walks with them, you wanna try it.

Eat and drink too much and not enough exercise fat. My own fault. Like my food and wine and I am lazy. I am never sick, I am not a drain on society and I feed my kids well.

Sadly can't walk to school a their school is about a 15 minute drive away.

Eat and drink too much and not enough exercise fat. My own fault. Like my food and wine and I am lazy. I am never sick, I am not a drain on society and I feed my kids well.

Sadly can't walk to school a their school is about a 15 minute drive away.[/quote

hey Pig, you on the wrong wave lenght .............