Fat People Are Whingers

Guest The Pom Queen

You are saying that 1 person in 100 has a medical cause for their obesity. Yet in the same statement you state that people with low mood or depression may also have a tendency to overeat and so gain weight. According to figures that can be easily googled, somewhere between 6 and 20% of people in Australia are depressed. Ergo, more than one percent of people would have a tendency to gain weight through a medical condition.

I did not write the article did I? So you don't think obesity is becoming a problem? As for depression dont even get me started on that. Yes there are people who suffer from depression and it must be very difficult for them but there are far too many people who claim depression when really they just need to pick themselves up and get on with it as we all have problems that are hard to mentally deal with at some point in our lives

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Guest26012
I did not write the article did I? So you don't think obesity is becoming a problem? As for depression dont even get me started on that. Yes there are people who suffer from depression and it must be very difficult for them but there are far too many people who claim depression when really they just need to pick themselves up and get on with it as we all have problems that are hard to mentally deal with at some point in our lives

Oh geez! You are going into a whole new territory there!

I used to think the same way if im honest Colin,im not so quick to judge now tho after my ex wife going through two extremely violent breakdowns after miscarriage,and me being on the receiving end,some people just arent strong enough to deal with everything life throws at them are they,anyway,im off out to put a footy bet on and ogle fat arses in leggings..............

This got me thinking - never considered my boy when reading this thread but your comments re your daughter reminded me of an incident last term at school when DS (10yrs) got upset about the kids calling him names. He said they were calling him scarecrow. I'd never heard of this and said eh? It means he's skinny! He is very tall for his age and could have a bit more beef on him but he never stops eating, gets low blood sugar, and is not terribly active so I have no idea how he is burning it off. To be honest the boys calling him names I would consider quite overweight for their age but you wouldn't think it would even come up as an issue amongst boys in this age group, just goes to show! My main concern is my boy already has a poor self image and we really don't need to add weight to the mix. If this is an issue for tween boys I hate to think how hard it is for girls....

I actually think it must be harder for boys in a way. They're under pressure to be muscle bound hunks. At least girls think that thinness is acceptable. In our case it's my daughter's friends parents who comment, not the girls themselves!

You are saying that 1 person in 100 has a medical cause for their obesity. Yet in the same statement you state that people with low mood or depression may also have a tendency to overeat and so gain weight. According to figures that can be easily googled, somewhere between 6 and 20% of people in Australia are depressed. Ergo, more than one percent of people would have a tendency to gain weight through a medical condition.

The article in question is referring to medical conditions which are the primary cause of obesity, like Cushings. If you've got such a condition, you are pretty much guaranteed of becoming obese. The same effect as Cushings occurs with people on long term high doses of steroids to treat conditions like rheumatoid arthritis.

All the other scenarios, like depression and antidepressants aren't the primary cause, but a contributing factor. You still have to eat too much and not exercise enough to get fat

Guest Guest26012
It was not me who brought mental illness into the obesity argument that is a whole different topic

No, agreed! But you elaborated on the topic and that's a whole different ball game?

Yes, that is right. All of us who have suffered with depression, should just pick ourselves up and get on with it. Depression isn't an illness caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, it is totally brought on by ourselves. How selfish we are! I was mentally and emotionally abused by my mother as a child, suffered with anorexia and bulimia, had a boyfriend who smacked me, lost my beloved dad at 24, and had two miscarriages, but I should 'pick myself up' from the depression that occasionally rears its head.

On another note, these are my two hugely obese daughters, as photographed this morning. Obviously they take after me...!IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

The article in question is referring to medical conditions which are the primary cause of obesity, like Cushings. If you've got such a condition, you are pretty much guaranteed of becoming obese. The same effect as Cushings occurs with people on long term high doses of steroids to treat conditions like rheumatoid arthritis.

All the other scenarios, like depression and antidepressants aren't the primary cause, but a contributing factor. You still have to eat too much and not exercise enough to get fat

Not sure what you are getting at here. Is depression not an illness the same as any other?

Yes, that is right. All of us who have suffered with depression, should just pick ourselves up and get on with it. Depression isn't an illness caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, it is totally brought on by ourselves. How selfish we are! I was mentally and emotionally abused by my mother as a child, suffered with anorexia and bulimia, had a boyfriend who smacked me, lost my beloved dad at 24, and had two miscarriages, but I should 'pick myself up' from the depression that occasionally rears its head.

On another note, these are my two hugely obese daughters, as photographed this morning. Obviously they take after me...![ATTACH=CONFIG]18970[/ATTACH]

Why on earth would you put a photograph of your children ( and areas you live in) on a website viewed by thousands? Speechless.

However, I totally agree with you that depression is an illness, a very cruel one.

Edited by Sammy1

I actually think it must be harder for boys in a way. They're under pressure to be muscle bound hunks. At least girls think that thinness is acceptable. In our case it's my daughter's friends parents who comment, not the girls themselves!

Lol muscle bound hunk he'll never be. Sheldon buy nature and Sheldon by build that's for sure.

Funny that parents would comment? I have a friend with three young girls and there are already very overweight but as much as I have struggled with whether to say anything I have always bit my tongue as those girls are her life and gorgeous and I could not say anything to hurt her or them, they will work it out without my interference and it is not my place to judge, just support if/when it's required. I wonder if people think it more acceptable to comment if someone is skinny as opposed to overweight?

Guest Guest26012

On another note, these are my two hugely obese daughters, as photographed this morning. Obviously they take after me...![ATTACH=CONFIG]18970[/ATTACH]

lovely pics! I totally understand where you're coming from! Don't let others wind you up! As long as you're ok that's all that matters. X

Guest Guest26012
I don't really think you should be posting all that on a public forum just because you disagree with what me and others have said about obesity

I think the thread has made her angry and touched on personal stuff! Please don't attack her? I have opened up about depression on here before, sometimes it helps.

Why on earth would you put a photograph of your children ( and areas you live in) on a website viewed by thousands. Speechless.

However, I totally agree with you that depression is an illness, a very cruel one.

Because I don't believe that you or anyone else on PIO is likely to cause harm to them. Unless there is something that you would like to share with us all, maybe you think that you may be a danger to them? Since my children are either in my care or at school, I don't see what the problem is. By the way, my avatar has been as is for about three years, and thus far no one has kidnapped them.

Because I don't believe that you or anyone else on PIO is likely to cause harm to them. Unless there is something that you would like to share with us all, maybe you think that you may be a danger to them? Since my children are either in my care or at school, I don't see what the problem is. By the way, my avatar has been as is for about three years, and thus far no one has kidnapped them.

Oh wow, now you make insinuations against me?

Look, thousands of people who are NOT even members on here look at these pages daily. I would never put my children in the spotlight or potential danger this way.

You owe me an apology by the way.

Beautiful children btw LK,almost scared to say that these days with the way things are,but balls to it,just wanted to say

Oh wow, now you make insinuations against me?

Look, thousands of people who are NOT even members on here look at these pages daily. I would never put my children in the spotlight or potential danger this way.

You owe me an apology by the way.

Well, I am sorry that you feel that way, but I don't see why I owe you an apology. I am not sure why you feel that my children are in any danger, I am not sure how you imagine that any of the people who view PIO are going to bother to come all the way out here, and search through the many thousands of properties within our suburb, with the express purpose of stealing my children through locked doors and windows.

Beautiful children btw LK,almost scared to say that these days with the way things are,but balls to it,just wanted to say

Thank you. I absolutely appreciate the fact that you think my children are beautiful. I don't see why people should have to feel afraid to say that.

Well, I am sorry that you feel that way, but I don't see why I owe you an apology. I am not sure why you feel that my children are in any danger, I am not sure how you imagine that any of the people who view PIO are going to bother to come all the way out here, and search through the many thousands of properties within our suburb, with the express purpose of stealing my children through locked doors and windows.

Ok, obviously not very bright.

I understand then why you feel you cannot apologise for your veiled accusation against me.

Edited by Sammy1

Guest Guest26012

Ok Guys! Lets just all calm down and stop with the bad vibes! It's getting too personal from a good thread that was intended to debate obesity. I'm not a mod but can we just take a deep breath?

Ok. obviously not very bright. I understand then why you feel you cannot apologise for your allegation against me.

Actually very bright, as per an IQ of 135 and two undergrad degrees. I made no allegation, I just asked if you thought you may be a danger, since you insinuated that I had put my children in danger by posting a photograph of them.