Fat People Are Whingers

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Another thing that gets me is that overweight people are often embarrassed to go to the gym because it is full of young, fit, athletic types. Maybe they could have gyms for people who are overweight.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another thing that gets me is that overweight people are often embarrassed to go to the gym because it is full of young, fit, athletic types. Maybe they could have gyms for people who are overweight.

Yeah, there should be fitness classes for overweight non co-ordinated people like me lol. All the ones that are really good for you (ie. Hard) are full of skinny dancers and it used to really put me off. Obviously they are as entitled to be there and wasnt their fault that i was unhappy being there but just wish some gym had the idea of starting a class ONLY for overweight or unfit people who are just a bit shy about being there

I think that is a good idea, but beware of being labeled thinist :cute:

I am, more than ever, convinced that (for me at least) fat is an emotional indicator - the unhappier I was the fatter I became. A lot of it was self delusional comfort eating but even when I was being exceptionally vigilant it was very hard to shift the weight. Another factor for me was food intolerances and they may well have been why the weight was hard to shift - my chiropractor was right, it was as if the cells were holding on to fluid as a reaction to foods my body reacted to. I lost 25kg just by cutting out all the things I was intolerant to (it helped that wheat, dairy, soy, peanuts, etc etc were in there because the cals dropped in consequence). I've since lost another 25kg with the cals in/cals out rationale, aided by not having depression hanging over me any more. According to the BMI charts I am still just in the overweight range and will probably be there for the rest of my days but I'm working on it!

It is really easy for slim people to be disparaging of the fat but IMHO being fat is a hugely complex issue - I doubt anyone who is obese actually wants to be obese but for whatever reason - emotional, genetic, environmental - their ducks just aren't in a line to enable them to be slim. It's a battle and as LKC so wisely said its not helped by media and advertising which is giving the wrong message about food - we do, probably, need to return to our paleological eating habits but they are so boring in comparison with all the good tasting junk on offer.

Just as an aside, I find other people's reaction to me quite different when I am "slim". As a fat person I was invisible - people would ignore me in queues, not make eye contact or reciprocate smiles. As a slim person people (men especially) are more likely to "see" me - hold the door, smile, etc. it may, of course, have been that the unhappy fat me was giving out "bugger off and don't notice me" vibes but I don't think my outward persona has changed all that much.

So, if you see a fat person, rather than thinking "you idle, greedy bugger" think, perhaps "what the hell are you scared of?" Of course, there are some idle greedy buggers out there who give the rest of us a bad name LOL!

I absolutely agree with this. People assume that because I am overweight, that either I am stupid, lazy, uneducated, or absolutely invisible and not worthy of their attention. They also assume that I must sit on the sofa all day every day watching trash daytime TV and stuffing myself with cream cakes. I am none of those things. I am intelligent, very well educated and on the go from 6am until I go to bed looking after a home, husband, children and running my own successful business which I started from nothing more than an idea and a couple of thousand dollars. I bush-walk, I use a treadmill, I eat a healthy diet, I never stuff myself with anything, I watch my portions, although I do admit that I don't count calories any more because actually I don't really think that calories are all that important.

Look at children. Both of my children are slim. They are quite different in terms of their build, eldest is very delicate and willowy, youngest is more solidly built, but nonetheless both are the perfect weight for their height. I give them a healthy diet, only junk food as a very occasional treat (like today, it was eldests birthday party and boy, am I paying for it now!). They eat butter, full fat milk, cheese and yoghurt, plenty of eggs, meat and fish with the fat, lots of veggies and some fruit, mostly berries and the more 'tart' fruits. They eat exactly the correct amount of food that they need without counting calories, or working out how much they need to run around to burn off the calories that they just ate. They just intrinsically know how much to eat of the good stuff that I give them. I wonder if some of the 'manufactured' foods and high carb foods that we have been led to believe are healthy for us, somehow alter the mechanism by which energy from food is digested, used and stored, and that is why children who are fed the correct things (rather than processed and high carb foods) tend to be at a more healthy weight to children who are given pasta, bread and pastry every day?

Bottom line: calories in=out is true. Its physically impossible to maintain the same weight if calorie expenditure is more than intake.

BUT, the biggest obstacle preventing people from losing weight is Insulin resistance (caused by inactivity) and sluggish metabolism (caused by ageing, drugs and inactivity). At the extreme end of the scale is type 2 diabetes and/or metabolic syndrome, but regardless of the cause/extent of the problem, the advice is the same.

Best way to alter the situation is a combination of a low carb, low GI diet and regular exercise(4-5 x per week, at least 30 mins, strenuous enough to get the heart up and make you slightly out of breath), ideally with a component of high intensity interval training (HIIT). HIIT increases cardiovascular fitness, accelerates metabolism and burns fat.

Bottom line: calories in=out is true. Its physically impossible to maintain the same weight if calorie expenditure is more than intake.

BUT, the biggest obstacle preventing people from losing weight is Insulin resistance (caused by inactivity) and sluggish metabolism (caused by ageing, drugs and inactivity). At the extreme end of the scale is type 2 diabetes and/or metabolic syndrome, but regardless of the cause/extent of the problem, the advice is the same.

Best way to alter the situation is a combination of a low carb, low GI diet and regular exercise(4-5 x per week, at least 30 mins, strenuous enough to get the heart up and make you slightly out of breath), ideally with a component of high intensity interval training (HIIT). HIIT increases cardiovascular fitness, accelerates metabolism and burns fat.

That's me buggered then, since I'm only walking about at work and don't get out of breath lol. I hope i;m still burning off calories though, i'm on my feet for 6 hours a day.

I think age is on my side atm though.... i'm nearly 22 and i've been the same weight and height since i was 16 (apart from when i went to aus and put on half a stone lol but i was still a healthy weight apparently)

Edited by BritChickx

People make assumptions the other way round too. My middle daughter, in particular, is very slim. 5' 10", long limbed, narrow waist (size 6/10 depending on the clothes) etc and the number of people who have whispered to me about whether she eats and am I worried about her is amazing. She's naturally that shape and eats healthily. Ok, her Easter eggs last longer than her sisters', but she doesn't deprive herself! I know the whispers go on behind my back too, but that's their problem. I know she's fine.

As a society we're obsessed with the way people look which is sad. Being grossly over or underweight is obviously a threat to health, but we're far too wound up with what is the 'ideal'.

Guest The Pom Queen
People make assumptions the other way round too. My middle daughter, in particular, is very slim. 5' 10", long limbed, narrow waist (size 6/10 depending on the clothes) etc and the number of people who have whispered to me about whether she eats and am I worried about her is amazing. She's naturally that shape and eats healthily. Ok, her Easter eggs last longer than her sisters', but she doesn't deprive herself! I know the whispers go on behind my back too, but that's their problem. I know she's fine.

As a society we're obsessed with the way people look which is sad. Being grossly over or underweight is obviously a threat to health, but we're far too wound up with what is the 'ideal'.

My eldest son is the same, but then that's how I use to be.

My eldest son is the same, but then that's how I use to be.

She takes after my husband. I was never overweight as a child/teenager, but wasn't willowy either. My youngest is built more like me- she's a size 10, but more 'solid'. She always has been - much heavier to carry as a baby than the others, but not overweight at all. That's why I take very little notice of the BMI scale.

Guest Guest26012
Fat people are lazy which is why they are like that and i don't mean people who are a bit overweight. As long as you are active you can eat and drink what you want to a certain degree without getting too fat to climb the stairs or finding it a struggle to get out of the car

So untrue! That's an assumption with no scientific back up! Read others experiences, you might learn something!

It amazes me that my mother in law (for example) can eat apple crumble, half a bag of crisps or a bowl of ice cream every day, whereas I don't eat any of those things and am much bigger than she is.

For all those who have attacked my comment yes there are a few a small percentage who have weight problems due to medical issues buts lets be serious here the vast majority are because they spend there days stuffing macdonalds and other fatty foods down their neck and sitting in front of the TV. I am a tad overweight but i am still fit and healthy. If i really wanted to be the perfect weight i easily could by giving up some of the foods and drink i enjoy too much and increasing exercise. There has been a rapid increase in obesity in the last couple of decades and it certainly aint down to more people having medical problems that effect weight is it? No its because we eat more **** and do less exercise you only have to look at the amount of fat kids these days. I am sorry if it offends people but its a disgrace if you feed your kid's too much that they are fat It is cruel and bad for the children's health.

Fat people should be taxed to the hilt,theyre a drain on society,cream should have a higher rate of tax and so should elasticated waist trousers

Just cos kate gave you a row and you've been banned from the politics threads doesnt mean you'll get a rise from us fatty's lol

Guest Guest26012
Fat people should be taxed to the hilt,theyre a drain on society,cream should have a higher rate of tax and so should elasticated waist trousers

They should be charged double for gym membership cos of the wear n tear on the equipment!

Just cos kate gave you a row and you've been banned from the politics threads doesnt mean you'll get a rise from us fatty's lol

Lol,she hasnt given me a rant to be fair,she's just a lovely girl and i end up feeling guilty:embarrassed::laugh:

No,im good again now,been in mr Benns room and put me virtuous head on again:cute:

For all those who have attacked my comment yes there are a few a small percentage who have weight problems due to medical issues buts lets be serious here the vast majority are because they spend there days stuffing macdonalds and other fatty foods down their neck and sitting in front of the TV. I am a tad overweight but i am still fit and healthy. If i really wanted to be the perfect weight i easily could by giving up some of the foods and drink i enjoy too much and increasing exercise. There has been a rapid increase in obesity in the last couple of decades and it certainly aint down to more people having medical problems that effect weight is it? No its because we eat more **** and do less exercise you only have to look at the amount of fat kids these days. I am sorry if it offends people but its a disgrace if you feed your kid's too much that they are fat It is cruel and bad for the children's health.

Yes, that is right. I literally spend all day stuffing MacDonald and other fatty foods down my neck and sitting in front of the TV. It is a wonder how I get anything else done. I really don't have time to run a home, look after two children and a husband, go bush walking twice a week, run on my treadmill every day, run a business and cook healthy meals for the rest of my normal weight family, whilst stuffing MacDonalds and other fatty foods down my neck and sitting in front of the TV.