Fat People Are Whingers

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

There was a very heated debate today in regards to two personal trainers having a go at fat, overweight people. http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/video/-/watch/faf38855-e39e-3ef9-b47d-37e552118451/trainers-call-fat-people-whingers/?cmp=twitter

To be honest I think they are out of order with their comments. I understand some people do sit on their backsides shovelling in cream cakes every minute but not everyone falls in to this category.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched that this morning and was getting ready to shout at the telly in disgust but actually a lot of what they wre saying kind of rang true. I am overweight because I won't put down the wine and nice foods ( I genuinely don't shovel down cakes all day mind!) maybe someone like me just needs that tough love

I do think fat people give a bad impression of all fat people. People look at me and probably think I spend all my time in MacDonald's. The truth is that I run at least three times a week, every weekend we go on a six mile walk, and I work out three times a week too. I try really hard to eat properly too, but I do slip up in that area occasionally. But by no means am I lazy. All the jobs I've worked have been physically very strenuous, which I really enjoy. It's very frustrating to be over-weight when you enjoy exercising as much as I do because it limits you so much.

But when I interview for a job I do feel like people are thinking 'Well fat people are lazy.'. In reality, I don't think I'm fat because I'm lazy. I think I'm fat because I love food, and I grew up loving food- this isn't simply putting down the cream cake, it's about changing your entire lifestyle of eating habits, and that's a pretty tough job.

Saw that on the news last night, thought it might spark some debate!

For me - I'm not fat but could certainly do with dropping a few Ks (harder to do while the chef is in charge of the kitchen lol). I do know that once we are back at work and both running around on our feet all day again those pounds will drop off, (So long as we resist the cakes in the cabinets)! I do realise that my motivation to do any exercise at the moment though is at zero so unless I do get off my ar$e then I can't expect to lose weight - simple.

I also think it's a lot harder these days, we do not exercise nearly as much as our parents did and they didn't have flash gyms to go to, neither could they afford to use them, but my mother walked us everywhere, no car, 2 toddlers and a baby in a pram, downhill to the shops and back up the hill with the shopping everyday because with no freezer shopping was done daily. She baked, cleaned ran around entertaining three of us. She had a figure like Twiggy!

Food has changed so much as well, most of all that yummy stuff is refined to death and totally loaded with calories that actually has very little nutritional value and gives you a sugar rush or is highly addictive so five minutes later you are still hungry or feeling tired, then no 'real' energy to actually move. - Vicious cycle.

I don't think every overweight person should be labelled the same way, i think it just depends on life style in general not just what you're eating... and obviously if people have health problems that's going to affect it too. Even birth control can make you put on weight! Not me thank god tho lol!

I SHOULD be fat because I eat a lot of rubbish foods! I think once my metabolism slows down i'll have to cut down the junk. I do eat healthy stuff too but i've grown a sweet tooth in the last few years!

Guest chris955

I was watching a show the other day about obese people, bed ridden often for years, complaining they cant get out and about but lying in bed eating. HELLO, stop eating so much.

There can be so many different reasons for putting on weight. Im overweight and it is a mix of not eating great (i'll admit that) but i dont sit eating creamcakes all day lol and i have two fairly hyper dogs to walk a few times a day. The other reason i put on so much weight was my birthcontrol method, ive changed it so hopefully with a mix of that and eating/excercising better i'll lose some beef!!

I think fat people are unfairly picked on a lot. Theres a line between tough love and just plain bullying, i dont think those trainers are advertising themselfs well. I wouldnt go with them.

I was watching a show the other day about obese people, bed ridden often for years, complaining they cant get out and about but lying in bed eating. HELLO, stop eating so much.

tbh once you've been bed bound for a certain amount of time it'd be pretty hard to walk again because your leg muscle just wastes away... not that it should happen (getting bed bound) in the first place but I have been to people that are bed bound just for that reason, and of course they're still eating, they've probably given up caring once they realise they can't walk again!

Calories in > Calories out.

Thats it.

So not true for everyone! My mum is overweight and she really doesn't eat that much. She can't exercise because of her arthritis and the medication she's on causes weight gain. She works like a trojan, even though she shouldn't, but of course she isn't entitled to anything, her job is caring for older people which believe me is hard graft and calorie burning. Some overweight people are lazy food shovellers but not them all. It's a very harsh non understanding view that some people have.

fat people are generally really good at excuses.

its the same as the drunk paradox, they tell you what you want to hear, then do what they like anyway.

its far easier to make an excuse, than to do the suggested.

'what have you done today...'

'ive done the washing, and washed up'

'no.... youve loaded the washing machine and the dishwasher then played on facebook all day'

(thanks for hearing this, its easier to tell you than tell her)

the issue ive found with my weight is not knowing whats in stuff. i try to eat well, but for the most part, im not sure what healthy is!

my solution is to be more active, ride my bike as much as possible. hope thats enough!

ahh, also if a person is so fat they cant move, they should be fed with super healthy food. 'if you want a pizza fatty, get up and cook one!'

anyone who feeds them shite, should be tried for abuse.

Edited by flybyknight

So not true for everyone! My mum is overweight and she really doesn't eat that much. She can't exercise because of her arthritis and the medication she's on causes weight gain. She works like a trojan, even though she shouldn't, but of course she isn't entitled to anything, her job is caring for older people which believe me is hard graft and calorie burning. Some overweight people are lazy food shovellers but not them all. It's a very harsh non understanding view that some people have.

I agree. My gran was on medication for a long time before she died and it made her balloon out, she went from a fairly skinny person to fat. You would think she ate cream cakes constantly but she didnt.

People just look at others and assume

My internet is playing up and couldn't open the link M2M, so I can't comment on the Yahoo article. But I do know for sure that overweight is not all about "calories in - calories out".

My beautiful daughter was Bulimic for over 6 years in her late teens/early twenties.... yes we knew and yes we did all we could to stop her, but as with any eating disorder, the perpetrator will do it for as long as they want until they decide not to. My daughter finally beat Bulimia a few years ago, but the 6 Bulimic years have conspired to kill her metabolism and so much else in her body. I won't even list all the issues she has dealt with, but they include iron deficiency, multiple stomach ulcers, constant diarhrea, among so much else. For the last 5 years she has been through so much counselling and naturopathic treatment but finally she is almost back on track health wise - apart from one issue. Her metabolism is totally stuffed and her weight has ballooned. Her lowest weight whilst Bulimic was 43Kg... her ideal weight is 65kg - she now weighs 120kg. For a year (supported by all our family) she followed Weightwatchers to the letter - and gained 10 kg... so she was prescribed Duramine and continued with her diet... and over 6 months gained another 10 kg. She has now been referred to a gastric surgeon who has been amazingly supportive. He deals with this sort of situation all the time and tells us that she is just one of so many people, both male and female, who end up obese because of a desire to be thin and using Bulimia as the tool to achieve this. My daughter has now had heaps of medical and blood tests to ensure that she is fit for surgery for a stomach sleeve, which we hope will be the tool she needs to help her get back to the weight she should be.

I get very cross at people who judge overweight people by their own eating standards...... we are all different..... we all have issues that make us who we are... so in my book, everyone needs as much help as they can get - either physically or psychologically.

See I think a lot of people think that. I'm sixteen stone and 5'4", and I look what I would call 'normal fat'; I fit into size 16 clothes and run, walk, exercise, eat well. But that isn't enough. A lot of people think that being a bit overweight is ok but for me it's still unhealthy and still restricting.

The key to losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight? Everything in moderation and a lot of fruit and veg, and regular exercise. But most of all you need to want it for YOURSELF. No one can want it for you, to lose weight and maintain it you need to work for it yourself. That motivation will lead to mountains being conquered...

Fat people are lazy which is why they are like that and i don't mean people who are a bit overweight. As long as you are active you can eat and drink what you want to a certain degree without getting too fat to climb the stairs or finding it a struggle to get out of the car

This is absolute rubbish. Not all fat people are lazy, just like not all thin people are active. There are plenty of thin lazy people too. This is imo a terrible attitude. Steroids, some antidepressants, some antipsychotics cause weight gain and probably a host of other drugs. As well as the psychological reasons for weight gain. It's terribly judgemental :(

Yes there are fat people out there who simply over eat and don't exercise, I have to constantly watch what I eat, I can look at a chocolate mud cake and put weight on!

But this has stayed with me for the last 15 years and I'm going to share it as there are many reasons people are overweight and definitely not because they over eat.

My wonderful stunning and very slim friend was diagnosed with cancer, she needed immediate chemo amongst other treatment, the treatment was such that she needed to take very heavy duty steroids. She lost her hair, and she gained around 30kilos literally in weeks due to the steroids yet the steroids were giving her the strength to endure the treatment physically. Obviously she looked totally different, and she lost all her confidence. We, her friends knew what was happening but the public, strangers, didn't and she suffered many ignorant comments, was judged on her physical appearance, she basically had to suffer cruel comments when she dared to go out, the whole experience was just horrendous and I now always never judge, we don't know why that person is over weight, yes mostly it's just diet and bad habits but actually sometimes it's not and I simply do not ever judge.

Yes there are fat people out there who simply over eat and don't exercise, I have to constantly watch what I eat, I can look at a chocolate mud cake and put weight on!

But this has stayed with me for the last 15 years and I'm going to share it as there are many reasons people are overweight and definitely not because they over eat.

My wonderful stunning and very slim friend was diagnosed with cancer, she needed immediate chemo amongst other treatment, the treatment was such that she needed to take very heavy duty steroids. She lost her hair, and she gained around 30kilos literally in weeks due to the steroids yet the steroids were giving her the strength to endure the treatment physically. Obviously she looked totally different, and she lost all her confidence. We, her friends knew what was happening but the public, strangers, didn't and she suffered many ignorant comments, was judged on her physical appearance, she basically had to suffer cruel comments when she dared to go out, the whole experience was just horrendous and I now always never judge, we don't know why that person is over weight, yes mostly it's just diet and bad habits but actually sometimes it's not and I simply do not ever judge.

Same thing happened to my daughter after she had an operation for brain cancer, she had to be on steroids to stop the swelling of the brain and weight just piled on. It took a few years for her to get it down again as well.

My internet is playing up and couldn't open the link M2M, so I can't comment on the Yahoo article. But I do know for sure that overweight is not all about "calories in - calories out".

My beautiful daughter was Bulimic for over 6 years in her late teens/early twenties.... yes we knew and yes we did all we could to stop her, but as with any eating disorder, the perpetrator will do it for as long as they want until they decide not to. My daughter finally beat Bulimia a few years ago, but the 6 Bulimic years have conspired to kill her metabolism and so much else in her body. I won't even list all the issues she has dealt with, but they include iron deficiency, multiple stomach ulcers, constant diarhrea, among so much else. For the last 5 years she has been through so much counselling and naturopathic treatment but finally she is almost back on track health wise - apart from one issue. Her metabolism is totally stuffed and her weight has ballooned. Her lowest weight whilst Bulimic was 43Kg... her ideal weight is 65kg - she now weighs 120kg. For a year (supported by all our family) she followed Weightwatchers to the letter - and gained 10 kg... so she was prescribed Duramine and continued with her diet... and over 6 months gained another 10 kg. She has now been referred to a gastric surgeon who has been amazingly supportive. He deals with this sort of situation all the time and tells us that she is just one of so many people, both male and female, who end up obese because of a desire to be thin and using Bulimia as the tool to achieve this. My daughter has now had heaps of medical and blood tests to ensure that she is fit for surgery for a stomach sleeve, which we hope will be the tool she needs to help her get back to the weight she should be.

I get very cross at people who judge overweight people by their own eating standards...... we are all different..... we all have issues that make us who we are... so in my book, everyone needs as much help as they can get - either physically or psychologically.

I was never diagnosed with anorexia or bulimia, but in my late teens/early twenties there was about a five year period where I would swing between obsessive dieting (as in I would have nothing more than a tin of plum tomatoes and an apple every day for weeks) and bingeing and purging, either by sticking my fingers down my throat or by taking laxatives. I am 5 ft 7 and when I went to uni at 18 I was 7 stone, which is about 44kg I think. I also used to obsessively exercise, I remember I had a Cindy Crawford workout video that I would do three or four times in a row. When I was 24 my beloved dad died unexpectedly, and I started drinking and bingeing, and my weight started to go up. I am now 38 and I can absolutely sympathise with your daughter. I don't eat unhealthily, I do drink still, although I do have long periods of not doing so and I moderate my intake when I do have a drink, but it has until recently been nigh on impossible for me to lose weight. I can absolutely tell you that I don't eat chocolate, or crisps, or biscuits, or cakes, we dont have puddings after dinner, or anything else like that.

I don't think it is as simple as calories in vs calories out. The human body (or any other animal actually) isn't a simple closed system. It is a very complex and delicately balanced one, with hormones, feedback systems and so on. I don't think that it is too hard to assume that it would be possible to knock this out of whack in any number of ways. I personally believe that we have been fed (excuse the pun) a pack of lies. I don't think that saturated fat is bad for us, and I do think that this low-fat nonsense that has been pedalled is actually the cause of the obesity epidemic. I think that if we went back to good, clean eating with meat, fish, eggs, butter and other full fat dairy, lots of veggies and limited fruit (because fruit is full of fructose, and actually I would bet that the fruit we evolved eating would have been less sweet), and cut out the supposedly healthy margarines, oils from plants whose oil is only suitable for consumption once it has been bleached, washed and deodorised, and stopped eating processed low fat rubbish and cut down on 'healthy wholegrains' and fruits and juices, things would improve. I have made some small changes (such as swapping margarine for butter, reducing the amount of wheat I eat, and not being afraid of the fat on meat) and I have finally started to lose a bit of weight, so maybe this isn't so far off the mark.

I am, more than ever, convinced that (for me at least) fat is an emotional indicator - the unhappier I was the fatter I became. A lot of it was self delusional comfort eating but even when I was being exceptionally vigilant it was very hard to shift the weight. Another factor for me was food intolerances and they may well have been why the weight was hard to shift - my chiropractor was right, it was as if the cells were holding on to fluid as a reaction to foods my body reacted to. I lost 25kg just by cutting out all the things I was intolerant to (it helped that wheat, dairy, soy, peanuts, etc etc were in there because the cals dropped in consequence). I've since lost another 25kg with the cals in/cals out rationale, aided by not having depression hanging over me any more. According to the BMI charts I am still just in the overweight range and will probably be there for the rest of my days but I'm working on it!

It is really easy for slim people to be disparaging of the fat but IMHO being fat is a hugely complex issue - I doubt anyone who is obese actually wants to be obese but for whatever reason - emotional, genetic, environmental - their ducks just aren't in a line to enable them to be slim. It's a battle and as LKC so wisely said its not helped by media and advertising which is giving the wrong message about food - we do, probably, need to return to our paleological eating habits but they are so boring in comparison with all the good tasting junk on offer.

Just as an aside, I find other people's reaction to me quite different when I am "slim". As a fat person I was invisible - people would ignore me in queues, not make eye contact or reciprocate smiles. As a slim person people (men especially) are more likely to "see" me - hold the door, smile, etc. it may, of course, have been that the unhappy fat me was giving out "bugger off and don't notice me" vibes but I don't think my outward persona has changed all that much.

So, if you see a fat person, rather than thinking "you idle, greedy bugger" think, perhaps "what the hell are you scared of?" Of course, there are some idle greedy buggers out there who give the rest of us a bad name LOL!

Guest The Pom Queen
Calories in > Calories out.

Thats it.

Not correct, I probably have around 800 calories a day if that but to look at me you would think its more like 5800

Guest The Pom Queen
Fat people are lazy which is why they are like that and i don't mean people who are a bit overweight. As long as you are active you can eat and drink what you want to a certain degree without getting too fat to climb the stairs or finding it a struggle to get out of the car

What a load of crap, members have already explained that they have family, who for medical reasons cannot exercise. This year I have spent most of it in a damn hospital or recovering from surgery as well as having to be on steroids. I would love to be able to run a marathon, or even walk one.