Maximum Demand project assignment electrical contractors licence

Mylady

Hi All

Hubby is currently doing his electrical contractors licence, tough and confusing. Has anyone done it and do u have a sample of the maximum Demand project assignment....

Anything to guide wud be helpful

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Will be the similar to the one we do at the boat people course i believe. There is a large section at the back of the regs book about maximum demand and it tells you the load values for each item group which you split across the 3 phases in to circuits and then you get the total load and select the smallest mains cable you can get away with allowing for volt drop ( yes really must be an ozzie thing!! I would have been struck off for that in the UK!) Pretty straightforward stuff really and pretty much the same as the UK.

Edited by colinmaclec
  • Like 1

Did my contractors ticket about 5 years ago, I still have all the project works on file. That said, they were relevant to the regs then, and the figures would be different today. PM me your email and I'll send you what I have.

Once you've done your ticket, there is some good software by a company call Spearhead (google it), that does all your max demand and cable sizing.

• Like 1

Did my contractors ticket about 5 years ago, I still have all the project works on file. That said, they were relevant to the regs then, and the figures would be different today. PM me your email and I'll send you what I have.

Once you've done your ticket, there is some good software by a company call Spearhead (google it), that does all your max demand and cable sizing.

Hi

Have sent u a private message,looking forward to hearing from u.... Thank u

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Will be the similar to the one we do at the boat people course i believe. There is a large section at the back of the regs book about maximum demand and it tells you the load values for each item group which you split across the 3 phases in to circuits and then you get the total load and select the smallest mains cable you can get away with allowing for volt drop ( yes really must be an ozzie thing!! I would have been struck off for that in the UK!) Pretty straightforward stuff really and pretty much the same as the UK.

Not correct I am afraid.

You also need to account for earth fault loop impedance and its effect on tripping times and co-ordination between breakers. The best method for understanding cable calculations is spreadsheets, Microsoft office being the most used (although the stuff on Linux that is free is just as good).

In the real world full sequence for cable sizing should be:

- max demand for DB (using AS 3000 is fine for basic sites, custom calculation is required for complex projects. The later allows the use of diversities to establish load profiles between major load groups). You need to make sure here motor inrush etc to co-ordinate with breaker setting.

- dearate cables for ambient temperature, installation method, grouping of load carrying circuits and cable type.

- apply cable length to confirm volt drop

- apply cable length to calculate adult level at end of cable. Use this value to establish tripping within AS3000 rules, and protection co-ordintates. At this point you may need to use a larger breaker than the required load, to achieve co-ordination/discrimination. This may result in larger cables being required.

- confirm cable size meets requirement of the a diabetic equation for withstand of temperature rise during fault condition, at origin of cable.

Sound familiar? It should, AS 3008 (cable selection) directly aligns with IEC60364 (international standard for electrical installation in buildings) which also aligns with BSEN7671 (requirements for Electrical installations).

unsurprisingly any major installations will be carried out in computer software like powercad/cable calc/powerpak. Be warned all have short comings!

Edited by Doc 53
  • Like 1

Not correct I am afraid.

You also need to account for earth fault loop impedance and its effect on tripping times and co-ordination between breakers. The best method for understanding cable calculations is spreadsheets, Microsoft office being the most used (although the stuff on Linux that is free is just as good).

In the real world full sequence for cable sizing should be:

- max demand for DB (using AS 3000 is fine for basic sites, custom calculation is required for complex projects. The later allows the use of diversities to establish load profiles between major load groups). You need to make sure here motor inrush etc to co-ordinate with breaker setting.

- dearate cables for ambient temperature, installation method, grouping of load carrying circuits and cable type.

- apply cable length to confirm volt drop

- apply cable length to calculate adult level at end of cable. Use this value to establish tripping within AS3000 rules, and protection co-ordintates. At this point you may need to use a larger breaker than the required load, to achieve co-ordination/discrimination. This may result in larger cables being required.

- confirm cable size meets requirement of the a diabetic equation for withstand of temperature rise during fault condition, at origin of cable.

Sound familiar? It should, AS 3008 (cable selection) directly aligns with IEC60364 (international standard for electrical installation in buildings) which also aligns with BSEN7671 (requirements for Electrical installations).

unsurprisingly any major installations will be carried out in computer software like powercad/cable calc/powerpak. Be warned all have short comings!

I was not talking about the real world large projects that are done by electrical engineers, but I was referring to the small project they have to do as the final part of the electrical contractors course which is nowhere near as involved as what you are talking about.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

HI all

I have just sat my Electrical contractors license. I have completed the maxium demand assignment and recieved it back with some small errors i have to fix up.

there are a couple of things i don't understand what i have done wrong and i cant read all his writing or abrevations he's used. when i rang the tutor so they explain where i went wrong the reception basicly said if i dont understand i would have to sit the course again.

I understand the course perfectly well, i just don't understand the problem he has with the assigment i presented and his abbrevations . Has any1 got a copy of their old assingment they could please send me so i can see where i have gone wrong. It would be a life saver

Thank you for any help it would be much appreciated

• Like 1

HI all

I have just sat my Electrical contractors license. I have completed the maxium demand assignment and recieved it back with some small errors i have to fix up.

there are a couple of things i don't understand what i have done wrong and i cant read all his writing or abrevations he's used. when i rang the tutor so they explain where i went wrong the reception basicly said if i dont understand i would have to sit the course again.

I understand the course perfectly well, i just don't understand the problem he has with the assigment i presented and his abbrevations . Has any1 got a copy of their old assingment they could please send me so i can see where i have gone wrong. It would be a life saver

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi my name steven im a sparky sitting my electrical contractors course, im having problems with maxium demand project any chance you could forward ur assignment for reference. I will not copy it, I urgently need help I would be very grateful.

Thank you

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hi there i did my contractors license about 6 years ago i will have look for it but eventually i did pass it correctly i am told that it is the same assignment for all wa contractors the maximum demand assignment was for shopping centre i believe. never used the contractors ticket as the job i have now does not require one but have the assignment stashed away somewhere

• Like 1

Mate if you could find it that would be a big help. I've finished most of it but still struggling with the meter connection diagrams and similar diagrams. Also how's work in experience for sparkys? I spend all my holidays there but never really managed to find any work

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hi there i did my contractors license about 6 years ago i will have look for it but eventually i did pass it correctly i am told that it is the same assignment for all wa contractors the maximum demand assignment was for shopping centre i believe. never used the contractors ticket as the job i have now does not require one but have the assignment stashed away somewhere

Hi mate any chance you could e mail the info on the max demand assignment , would be great if ya could as I am struggling to get going here and any information would be great thank you

• Like 1

HI all

hi there , just wondering did you get the info you needed for the max demand assignment ? Would be great if ya could forward it on if ha did .. Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...