Sedating or drugging children on flight?

Guest dannii28

Is it ok to sedate children on a flight ?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ok to sedate children on a flight ?

• Yes
    • No

Guest littlesarah

As someone who doesn't have children, I take sedative antihistamine with me for myself, just in case. If there are any parents with children who are restless I can just put in my earplugs, wrap my blanket around me, pop some pills and at the very least chillax and snooze!

I also deliberately choose seats near the back of the plane, well away from bassinets.

I think it's up to parents to figure out what will work for them and their kids, but they should be aware that all drugs carry risks, including those sold over the counter, especially when used in children. But for those of us who are travelling child-free, I think it's up to us to modify our behaviour if we feel we're being disturbed.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drug myself so why not the kids. I think flying especially long haul is a very arduous experience and if I could arrange for a child to have a good sleep on the plane then they are less likely to throw tantrums etc. I would be so embarrassed its not like they are on a train for a couple of bob, people are paying a lot of hard earned cash for the flight and deserve some respect, they are my children not theirs. That is how I would look at it. I would go to the docs like I always do before I flew and get something to help make the journey more palatable to me and my fellow travelers. Parents who think that other should put up with their children are misguided.

Drugged " sleep" is far,far away from a good sleep. Children above 2 years old pay the full price for the flight ( well their parents do :wink:). Most of the parents ( including me and my husband, I hope) do everything possible to keep kids happy and entertained. I didn`t yet come across someone who would ignore their screaming child and din`t try to do something about it - maybe I was lucky.

As for Dustyroad`s suggestion - when they build a road from US ( or UK) to Australia, maybe there will be more people taking road trips :tongue:

Break the flight up on the way over - Hong Kong Disneyland, Singapore night zoo etc... If you time it right you can fly through the day (super long day!), sleep at bed-time, then fly through the day again. I did this when my kids were pretty young and they were well behaved on flight (I'd hate for them to have been without their consoles/films etc..)

Re drugs, I always packed calpol when flying (although never needed to use it) - My friend was caught out with a child who had an hitherto unknown ear infection and was in severe pain, and no calpol. She screamed nearly the whole way!

Well I dont have kids and also play the game of trying to sit as far away form the basinets as possible!

I have lots of friends and familly with kids who certainly have given kids 'drowsy' meds on flights both long and short haul!

I actually am mainly OK with the little babies that scream there is little that their parents can do! But I was on a flight (SYD-Singaopore) where as we came into land the parents of a 6/7 year old refused to put the seat upright and put her belt on as it would 'wake her' the plane manager int he end intervined poitning out that regulations meant that had to happen in order to land the plane and sooner or later we needed to refuel! Said child then would not sleep on the night leg singapore to london, the parents wouldnt let it watch cartoons etiher so it had a screming fit every 20mins or so! Waking nearby babies! Not fun!

On my most recent flight I had the missfountune to be sat in the row next to a familly with 2 young children who they allowed to cream , jump up and down on the seats, climb out of their seats stand ont he seats thoughout the flight including take off and landing, no attempt made during the 14 hour flight at all to show any care for nearby passengers!

Before I told off for being a fuddy duddy, the child sat nuext to me for the 14 hour flight out spent 7 of it vommiting! Nice the parents and he were very appologetic but I just kept saying 'you cant help it, dont worry!".

I saw some survey that suggeted that 85% of all air treavelers (including parents!) would support 'child free' zones on aircraft! Proof that most people value peace and quiet on a flight!

I have no children by choice, therefore I find it very selfish of those who choose to have them forcing others to be disturbed by them. To clarify, I don't blame kids, I blame parents who put them in the situation they find unbearable at the cost of all other's sanity...

Jeezo. So kids are never to be allowed to fly? You were a noisy kid at one point aswell

I have no children by choice, therefore I find it very selfish of those who choose to have them forcing others to be disturbed by them. To clarify, I don't blame kids, I blame parents who put them in the situation they find unbearable at the cost of all other's sanity...

Idiot statement. People have to travel, and with young kids (say <3) if they lose it then sometimes there really is nothing you can do

No one will get more stressed by that than the parents, believe me - having to deal with a screaming child/toddler AND the aggravation that's causing other passengers is most parents' worst travelling nightmare. We'll do anything to avoid it (hence the OP) but if it happens, you're spannered. And as per the previous poster, whilst you may not have chosen to have kids, you were one once. Fortunately for you, your parents didn't make the same choice you did but don't go getting all self-righteous about it. It isn't our intent to disturb you

If your rest matters that much to you, go business class with an airline that doesn't allow kids in there. There are a few of them. But if you're just trying to get from A to B as economically as possible, you're gonna have to deal with other people, so live with it

My dads family from melbourne came over to glasgow the other day. They said they had a nightmare flight - the baby cried a big chunk of the flight time and also in airport. I think they were embarassed but nobodys to blame! People just have to be patient or shove their ear phones in. Feel really sorry for parents when they are trying to quieten their baby but it wont work. Apparently some people were very rude to them in the airport but i think they got it right back at them lol. Good on them!

This is also from someone whos probably going to choose not to have children. Good thing you werent on their flight simon! You might of had a hissy fit

forget babies...when we went to nz and were on the 1st leg from heathrow to hong kong....we had about a 100 chinese kids behind us :elvis:

most were very well behaved though

Was it a school trip or something lol. My last flight we had a little girl literally running up and down the aisle crazy, that annoys me more than any baby crying! Mainly because she was still trying to do it when we were getting ready to land. We were all kids once though!

Guest chris955

We flew our twins to the UK first time when they were about 18 months old, our doctor suggested giving them some Phenergen which we did. The lovely Singapore Airlines girls were carrying them around the plane most of the time anyway :)

I fly over to Brisbane from Perth regularly and almost always get put with a single Mum & child , I presume because Im a lone female. It doesn't bother me, well it did once when the kid behind kept kicking the back of my chair! What's worse for me is being sat next to some bloke who despite it being 9am is plastered and ends up sitting with legs wide open sprawled all over my seat snoring & farting, and Im stuck in the inside seat and can't even get up for a wee! I mean I could stay home with the OH for that experience .

QSS - I'm with you, it's the little buggers constantly kicking the back of your seat which is the one thing likely to turn me from a nice nanna to a tirading termagant. I've had a few of those over the years and its something I have been hyper careful that my kids/grand kids never did.

I wouldn't sedate my child on a long haul flight for the convenience of others but I would for his/her benefit. Some kids could happily stay awake for nearly 24 hrs. Is that in their best interests? No. Is it natural to be awake for 24 hrs on a giant flying tin can at altitude? No. Bring on the drugs but test them at home first in a safe environment. Anti histimines are indicated for short term sedation in children. I'd prefer my child to have 6 or 7 hours of drug induced sleep than none at all. Each to their own. It worked for mine.

Edited by HappyHeart

I think this will be an interesting debate!

So we will be making the move to Brisbane next year when my little boy will be aged 2. Now I have been researching ideas on how to cope with this long flight for my little boy, myself and also the other passengers sake.

today it is in the news about giving children medication such as anti sickness, anti histamines to sedate or drug them to sleep for the entire journey. This is something I would never have thought of.

Is anyone willing to admit they have done this or are any of you considering doing it?

and discuss....................:wink:

we did it with 3 young children , yes i was worried and ive travelled with babies on flights and tbh its only one day , the noise doesnt travel to well on a flight , some people will enjoy hearing a babies cry ! you will get help on the flight , we did and others i know , they make a bee line for you when you have young ones .....they will prbs put you at the front with a new born, with a 2 yr old they will still fuss over you ..............dont worry ,luck forward to it ......:hug:

Idiot statement. People have to travel, and with young kids (say <3) if they lose it then sometimes there really is nothing you can do

No one will get more stressed by that than the parents, believe me - having to deal with a screaming child/toddler AND the aggravation that's causing other passengers is most parents' worst travelling nightmare. We'll do anything to avoid it (hence the OP) but if it happens, you're spannered. And as per the previous poster, whilst you may not have chosen to have kids, you were one once. Fortunately for you, your parents didn't make the same choice you did but don't go getting all self-righteous about it. It isn't our intent to disturb you

If your rest matters that much to you, go business class with an airline that doesn't allow kids in there. There are a few of them. But if you're just trying to get from A to B as economically as possible, you're gonna have to deal with other people, so live with it

Thank you. The rudeness of your response just serves to prove my point, which is that some people believe that the rest of the world is duty bound to love their kids as they themselves do. The fact that a person's right to peace is governed onlu by their wealth is an anachronism. Once again, to make it crystal clear this time, no, children do not belong on medium or long haul flights, their boredom and discomfort is exacted on every other passenger.

Guest chris955

So how would you suggest that those of us blessed with children transport those children around the world ? Train, hot air balloon, canoe ?

Thank you. The rudeness of your response just serves to prove my point, which is that some people believe that the rest of the world is duty bound to love their kids as they themselves do. The fact that a person's right to peace is governed onlu by their wealth is an anachronism. Once again, to make it crystal clear this time, no, children do not belong on medium or long haul flights, their boredom and discomfort is exacted on every other passenger.

Thank you. The rudeness of your response just serves to prove my point, which is that some people believe that the rest of the world is duty bound to love their kids as they themselves do.

No. The rudeness of my post was in direct response to your arrogance. I don't expect anyone else to love my kids as I do. I do expect people in public places to not be offended by their presence though

The fact that a person's right to peace is governed onlu by their wealth is an anachronism. Once again, to make it crystal clear this time, no, children do not belong on medium or long haul flights, their boredom and discomfort is exacted on every other passenger.

An even more idiotic statement. So you are suggesting families should not be allowed to travel? Hard to come to any other conclusion, isn't it?

When you travel, you are going to have to deal with other people, whether you want to or not. Some of those other people are children

I fly over to Brisbane from Perth regularly and almost always get put with a single Mum & child , I presume because Im a lone female. It doesn't bother me, well it did once when the kid behind kept kicking the back of my chair! What's worse for me is being sat next to some bloke who despite it being 9am is plastered and ends up sitting with legs wide open sprawled all over my seat snoring & farting, and Im stuck in the inside seat and can't even get up for a wee! I mean I could stay home with the OH for that experience .

Hahaha!