You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Harpodom

Are we dissing your dream?

I've enjoyed reading this thread up until now!

Excellent.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Guest guest76088

I think it is great to post as "this is my experience..." rather than "this is a fact". Who are you to say what is a better life for someones kids? Who are you to say that where the reader intends living in Australia is graffitti-ridden? Worst of all: how with perfect-knowledge can you say it doesn't exist in Australia?

BigD

I dont think it is a case of dissing the dream, often it seems to be correcting preconceived ideas that just dont tally with reality. How often do we read on here how someone is making the move to get away from all the crime or because of the grafitti or to give their kids a better life or whatever else they imagine is better or doesnt exist in Australia ?

I read only yesterday how someone didnt like how young people couldnt get onto the housing ladder in the UK, well hello that is no different in Australia. Is it better to say oh well whatever or to advise them that all this stuff happens there as well ?

Oh and before someone inevitably makes this personal dont bother, water off a ducks back :)

Just because forums like this are around it shouldn't influence peoples decisions one way or the other. Most of the opinions on here are exactly that, someones opinion. They may read 20 negative posts about the area, the job market, how it's difficult to make friends and not experience any of that themselves.

It would be a shame to get put off by someones musings on a website. Too much information sometimes.:cool:

Same as it would be to overstate how good oz is, tv shows totally overrate oz and if someone is taken in by it and finds that it is totally the opposite when they get there it is a complete waste of money and time.....reading the good and the bad is the best to make a decision.

Australia has been portrayed as being some kind of big escape. In reality the yellow brick road wont lead you to Emerald city, but depending upon your willingness and determination it can change your life for the better. Sure some people fall into the big money here, others seem to spend all their time busting a gut just to pay the rent. It's an individual journey for each of us. Best advice i would give is not to read the forums, come here with a determined attitude and accept Australia for what it is. It will never be the UK, so don't compare it. And don't knock it until you have tried it :biggrin:

Good post, some love it some hate it...only one real way to find out.

Same as it would be to overstate how good oz is, tv shows totally overrate oz and if someone is taken in by it and finds that it is totally the opposite when they get there it is a complete waste of money and time.....reading the good and the bad is the best to make a decision.

Good post, some love it some hate it...only one real way to find out.

Youve contradicted yourself within a minute, that has to be a record.

Guest chris955

Im not sure you actually read the post you replied to ?

I think it is great to post as "this is my experience..." rather than "this is a fact". Who are you to say what is a better life for someones kids? Who are you to say that where the reader intends living in Australia is graffitti-ridden? Worst of all: how with perfect-knowledge can you say it doesn't exist in Australia?

BigD

I was a bit worried ready some posts buti realised a couple of people just seem to live online looking for ways to diss oz which is kind is sad . I don't take much notice of what they say now.

OK, who are these people who supposedly spend their entire lives dissing Aus? Everyone seems to have it in for PB and HWB, and I can understand why. But I can also see it from their perspective. i honestly think they're misunderstood a lot of the time.

But that is 2 people! If i'm included in the same group then all I can say is that I just talk from a personal POV.

My Brain Hurts!

Guest guest76088

"How often do we read on here how someone is making the move to get away from all the crime or because of the grafitti or to give their kids a better life ...

Is it better to say oh well whatever or to advise them that all this stuff happens there as well ?"

You report people's motives for moving and question whether you should tell them the-way-things-are which implies you are in superior possession of the facts in order to put them right. Now read again my response and you will understand.

BigD

Im not sure you actually read the post you replied to ?

I guess it's like most things on the forum regarding the implied intent ... Is someone giving a balanced view or are they intentionally pissing on someones parade because they like to? I guess sometimes it looks like a pissing contest between members rather than actually giving an opinion to the OP.

I'm sure Joe Bloggs welcomes the variety and will chose whose opinions they want to accept or not and act accordingly on wether they follow their 'dream' or do something else.

Edited by ali

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Well as in the UK it all depends where you settle, doesn't it? We never get graffiti here, for example, but a few kilometres away they do. You wouldn't compare somewhere like Leicester to Westerham in Kent, either.

Can't say I'm much of a dreamer, far too practical for that. Had never been to Oz before but arrived one month ago today. Before arriving I would sometimes worry after reading the negative posts on here and I did read the mbtuk threads as I wanted to see if I identified with any of the issues raised. What I know is that we are all too individual to be able to advise any one else how the will feel, what they will or won't like. I mean today I was quoted £750 to insure my car when it arrives for myself my OH , my 22&18 year old sons to drive. So today I'm appreciating Oz at lot. Yesterday when my free delivery from M&S arrived with my toweling robes 20% off in the sale it made me smile all day appreciating a good old british retailer. I've said it before, anyone living here or UK is a lucky person, we just don't often realise it.

189 Visa lodged all docs front loaded including medicals onshore 16.9.14... PR Visa granted 28.11.14...Yaaaay :smile:

OK, who are these people who supposedly spend their entire lives dissing Aus? ...........

If i'm included in the same group then all I can say is that I just talk from a personal POV.

Are you getting a complex, Harpo?

Guest Guest 47403
OK, who are these people who supposedly spend their entire lives dissing Aus? Everyone seems to have it in for PB and HWB, and I can understand why. But I can also see it from their perspective. i honestly think they're misunderstood a lot of the time.

But that is 2 people! If i'm included in the same group then all I can say is that I just talk from a personal POV.

I tend to agree dom you do most of the time seem to talk from a personal POV, but then you 'like' a totally bollox comment from one of the said offenders which in my eyes tends to be a nod of agreement, so I do sometimes wonder about your motives.

Guest chris955

A few have it in for me, who cares ? Honestly some anonymous bloke on an internet forum says a few nasty things about me, it says more about them.

You can have a POV as long as it is fits with the gang ;)

Guest chris955

Post of the thread.

Can't say I'm much of a dreamer, far too practical for that. Had never been to Oz before but arrived one month ago today. Before arriving I would sometimes worry after reading the negative posts on here and I did read the mbtuk threads as I wanted to see if I identified with any of the issues raised. What I know is that we are all too individual to be able to advise any one else how the will feel, what they will or won't like. I mean today I was quoted £750 to insure my car when it arrives for myself my OH , my 22&18 year old sons to drive. So today I'm appreciating Oz at lot. Yesterday when my free delivery from M&S arrived with my toweling robes 20% off in the sale it made me smile all day appreciating a good old british retailer. I've said it before, anyone living here or UK is a lucky person, we just don't often realise it.

I must admit to reading one post written by someone who was returning to the UK and they mentioned the dark nights, and the effect of them, here in QLD the Government could easily bring us in line, but they won't, apparently it has something to do with agriculture .... The dark nights I must admit I hate them, I am the type of person who likes to enjoy a nice stroll along the beach around 7.30 then maybe stop off for a beer, or two, when we were in Spain we did this a lot, but here we can't. I know it's warm outside, but every night feels like a winters night, it must be a psychological thing ......

Even if Queensland adopted daylight saving it would still not bring you the light summer evenings of Spain.

The time of sunset is affected by how far you are from the equator and Bundaberg's latitude is only 24 degrees.

To have the Spain equivalent in Australia you would need to be in the area of Melbourne to Hobart.

I must confess I see you more as a cosmopolitan Sydney or Melbourne girl than a Bundaberg girl. :biggrin:

, tv shows totally overrate oz and if someone is taken in by it and finds that it is totally the opposite when they get there it is a complete waste of money and time....

If someone decides to migrate on the basis of a TV show then they deserve no sympathy if it goes pear shaped.

Especially now that there is so much real, uncensored, unfiltered, untweaked information available through other sources.

Australia is a gr8 country, r we living the dream ? No, hard work ,long hours, u do what u Have to.....I know so many unhappy or bored poms who would feel some shame admitted to that. It takes a truly honest person to admit, it's not what they thought it would be. Oz is my home for now so will make the best of it . Good luck to those coming or going x

Is that what causes a lot of the aggro from the people 'waiting in line' in Britain? To hear people who live here, saying things about Aus which aren't entirely complimentary?

No h,your not,ive never seen it as a dream anyway,just a lot of initial hassle,paperwork(which i despise)on getting set up over there,registering for this and that,changing driving licence,finding a rental,finding a job,finding a suitable area(i know that one tho)

Do i listen/take in things people say?yes,IF theyre hard facts,IE if someone posted that 87% of Bricklayers in Aus cant find work and it was true i'd be a fool not to listen wouldnt it?so facts i'll listen to.

Do i listen to peoples "feelings" about Aus or a place in Aus?no,i'm repeating myself no doubt,but i wont be interested in a lot of the things or issues others like or dislike about Aus will i?

Ive never based what i want to do on what others think of a place,thats why ive had a ball in places like Istanbul,St Pauli(docks area)in Hamburg,Nijmegen in holland and various other places,if i'd have listened to the warnings i wouldnt have gone to any of these,yes they are "edgy" cities,but superb if on yer toes/aware.

Ive never said i know (knew now really,because i doubt i'll get there)i will settle in Aus and live happily ever after because i cant "know" unless i was living there,obvious i know,but a "few" seem to just assume they will live happily ever after.

My cynical self protection mechanism kicks in before i expect too much of a place tbh,expect too much of a place and the disappointment if it "doesnt" work out is magnified,so ive always been realistic .

Daft sweeping generalisations about Aus and its people get a bit tedious sometimes,not annoying,just tedious,but if i ever do get there i will happily have a drink with the likes of yourself,but im not going out in that volvo estate with you if you insist on wearing that Geography teachers tweed coat with the leather elbow patches on.................

Just to add,im not arrogant(i hope!),i just have to find things out for meself,i cant(or dont) let others opinions influence me as rule,whether that be on small matters or life changing ones,i suppose im pretty single minded that way,others say stubborn lmao,im not,im telling ya!!

Edited by pablo

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight:wubclub:

Post of the thread.

Only read the first page and this last one,i agree tho,Geraldine seems to have the right mindset

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight:wubclub:

Personally if I were emigrating I would want to hear both sides of the story.I've spent more time living in Australia than I have in the UK,so yeah from my experiences,I see the good,the bag and the ugly in both places.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix

Because, no matter how much the naysayers go on and on, Australia is seen as a sunny place to get a new life with a big house and pool, extra play out time for the kids, whilst not having to learn a new language.

I blame Neighbours and Home & Away.

You have a point, I saw twice as many kids playing out in the snow than I did in oz in the sun, then again parents these days are aware of the dangers if the sun and ave to keep an eye on them.

Youve contradicted yourself within a minute, that has to be a record.

Not really, I said if they are taken in by the glossy tv shows, I said the only way to really see if you like it you must try it.......try and keep up.

I was a bit worried ready some posts buti realised a couple of people just seem to live online looking for ways to diss oz which is kind is sad . I don't take much notice of what they say now.

Good ...suck it and see,