Self Pack Container - too good to be true?

Taylors4

This is the email that I have been using info@dfdshipping.co.uk

I must admit I did struggle to get hold of Andy at DFD and also on a couple of occasions, he had called me and I missed him, but he has always replied to my emails.

As Taylor says, this is a "no frills" service and is literally a freight forwarding company. I suspect that the removal firms use this type of company themselves.

We are in the same position, we were debating whether to just go for the Move Cube, but as the price we have been quoted by DFD is reasonable, we have decided to go with them and take more stuff to Oz. I have been comparing prices and we will still save money by taking as much as we can over with us.

I honestly don't think this service would suit everyone as you would need to do a lot of work yourself with packing etc. For us, it is a good option as we are currently in Spain and we are packing up here before returning to the UK to say goodbyes so we would have been paying a removals firm a premium for something we really didn't need.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have contacted DFD again as we are not planning on going until October and this was their response. If you are obtaining a quote now, but do not intend to travel for a few months, I would mention it at the outset as the prices will be different.

"We are expecting an increase of up to 500GB for the summer season of may through till September. Sometimes October is cheaper though but you can never tell.

There are so many factors to consider within shipping, IE: war breakout, oil prices, insurances etc

So these have a huge impact on the actual shipping charges, monthly. "

Glad I found this post! We will definitely look into self pack for our move but only if we don't take a car as not sure we could manage to get the car into the container!!

For those going in 2013 please do post on your successful arrival with any suggestions to make the move easier/less stressful.

Well after much debating, I've decided to take the plunge, I've accepted DFD's quote and the shipment will go end of May I'll keep you all informed of how we get on!

​Jamsey Clan, when are you booking for?

taylors have too taken plunge and booked :0 do you have a packing strategy in mind?

taylors have too taken plunge and booked :0 do you have a packing strategy in mind?

No not really, just going to box up gradually and do an inventory of what's in them. Had a google of You tube on packing up a container so it gives you a good idea, but as far as the big stuff is concerned think it will just be how it goes on the day really, have a pecking order of what we want to take, so we will just see if it all fits. Will be armed with lots of packing materials to help protect stuff, but if anyone has any pointers, assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Well after much debating, I've decided to take the plunge, I've accepted DFD's quote and the shipment will go end of May I'll keep you all informed of how we get on!

​Jamsey Clan, when are you booking for?

Hi Taylors4, unfortunately, not until maybe Aug/Sep at the earliest if we can. I would go tomorrow if I could. But hubby has been speaking to a couple of contacts he has in Perth re: work and there is not a lot. They both reckon end of this year, beginning of next will get busier (he is a carpenter) . I have a 4 year old starting primary in Sep and 11 year old starting high school, am hoping neither of them will have to start as such a big change then another change going to Oz (again!) So, good luck with your move, hope all goes smoothly and would love to hear you experience with the move and using DFD, best of luck Jess x

No not really, just going to box up gradually and do an inventory of what's in them. Had a google of You tube on packing up a container so it gives you a good idea, but as far as the big stuff is concerned think it will just be how it goes on the day really, have a pecking order of what we want to take, so we will just see if it all fits. Will be armed with lots of packing materials to help protect stuff, but if anyone has any pointers, assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Hey Hon, I had not thought of looking on YouTube on tips for packing the containers. Will do that now Thanks:notworthy:

ARe there items you cant take, like lawnmowers etc? or can you pack any household item that fits? thanks

We won't be taking the lawnmower, strimmer or garden furniture as we leaving these for our tenants but wouldn't take them in any case as I can't bear the thought of deep cleaning them to meet the standards required in Oz!

We are going to make a (long) list of items we are taking an then prioritise and back in that order so that any items at the bottom of the list which don't fit into the container (really hoping they all fit in!) it won't be a train smash to leave behind.

We have 1 year to plan the move so starting to do a monthly declutter in the hope that we are ready to pack when the time comes.

Just hoping that I judge the amount of packing boxes, bubble wrap etc required correctly......

we did self move 4 years ago..packed ourselves and we were assured that the price was to be delivered...but when it got to Perth.. we had a call from the docks...we had to pay another $3k to get our container off the docks customs clearance and delivered to our house. All of which I had been quoted for but that seemed to mean nothing. had to deal with it all myself and pay as it was costing money every day it sat dock side! Be aware and don't be fooled by them.

Good luck

Just had a quote from another freight forwarder for £1325. This is based upon collection from Kent and shipped to Freemantle, so I would need to organise a broker in Freemantle to deal with the customs and transport to us in Perth. Not sure how easy that would be. The more I look into this, I can see why the removal firms charge more for the convenience. Will keep you all posted on what I find out.

Guest chris955
For the record, in my thread I asked a question, "Is this too good to be true" yes it seems it is ..............

​These cryptic posts really arent very constructive and probably just cause anxiety. You stated the same thing then deleted the post so there is clearly something troubling you. Obviously without naming companies can you elaborate please.

As there is no name and shame policy, don't think it will affect anyone else as it seems there website and the company no longer exists. There is another thread running from yesterday regarding this same company, which incidentally wasn't me under a different name!

Edited by homewardbound588
unsubstantiated

Guest chris955

OK, well it is still unsubstantiated so I cant allow any reference to them until more facts come to light.

​You were very lucky to see the other thread, it was only up a very shirt time ;)

What do you mean, its still there ........

Did you part with any money? I was weary after contacting the company in the original post as he was saying that price would change in May, as though he was wanting money straight away. Quotes I've had from other companies have been valid for 3 months and never mentioned anything about prices rising in the 'high' season. Glad we stayed well clear.

As per my previous post we will just go with a well known company that will do the whole lot for us. Costs a little more but saves hassle and also they are a tried and tested company used by many on this forum.

Very interesting. I also think that you get what you pay for and especilly if it's about sending your private things I would not take care too much about the money as long as the price is still reasonable.

As there is no name and shame policy, don't think it will affect anyone else as it seems there website and the company no longer exists. There is another thread running from yesterday regarding this same company, which incidentally wasn't me under a different name!

Taylors have they gone under? Did you pay already ? I booked with them last week had email from Axxx confirming payment had been received on Monday but nothing further PM me if cant discuss on here

​mem

Edited by noworriesmate
removed name

Ok so as per forum policy of not naming names an update to situation with much discussed company xxx

the website is down the phones are down I have personally contacted all the shipping companies that xxx stated in emails to myself they use and none of them have ever heard of them I also today personally visited the address of B'ham office listed on invoice they are nowhere to be found and people in the building have never heard of them or their parent company

Ok so as per forum policy of not naming names an update to situation with much discussed company xxx

the website is down the phones are down I have personally contacted all the shipping companies that xxx stated in emails to myself they use and none of them have ever heard of them I also today personally visited the address of B'ham office listed on invoice they are nowhere to be found and people in the building have never heard of them or their parent company

I am so sorry to hear that Memmymooch, It seems unbelievable that a company can set up on the internet and seem so genuine but yet (allegedly) be a scam - please keep us updated on what you find out.

NWM

Bloody hell. I was emailing them today, and they were so quick in responding regarding money's.

are they really a dodgy out fit.

Graham all I can say is that on bottem of invoice there are 3 different uk offices listed and each has a different trading name and as per my post above def 100% the Birmingham one does not exsist no one in that building has heard of any of the names on the invoice. The parent company is registered at companies house and is solvent but just with the listed assets only around 4k and also none of the shipping companies they claim to regularly use have any knowledge of them. Aside from email there is now no way of contacting

them and yesterday my first mail bounced back with message this account no longer exists although subsequent ones did go through.

its all so weird as you would think if it is a scam they would just ignore people once they have money but they are still communicating I guess though what they prob don't know is that we are all communicating with each other.

I am going to email them tommorrow to say went to office didn't exist etc etc and ask for money back