Swimming and fitness

Harpodom

Always the same with exercise Harpo. One of the coaches at the surf club used to have the kids "warming up" for half an hour before doing any hard sets. We used to go for a board session at 5:30am and the first half hour would be running to warm up.

I usually get in the pool and try and do a 400m warm up and concentrate on my stroke and breathing, stretching out on each stroke and not trying to swim fast too soon. When we get into the harder part of the session it's a lot easier and breathing/stroke hangs together much better.

Did you used to play soccer and do other sports? Warming up for anything is very important. I find the same with tri's, bike riding, running. First 10 mins is the worst, then you get in a rhythm.

Stick with it mate, sounds like you are doing well. I'm proud of my missus at the moment. She's joined another gym and started another diet, went at 6:00am this morning as I was getting up for work. Already lost a few kilos.

Strange what motivates women though. She's been talking about needing to lose weight and get fitter for ages. I've told her exactly what she needs to do but now we have to go back to the UK in August for a wedding and she knows a few people will be there that we both know, so now she's making an effort.

I've seen quite a few who get divorced and within a couple of months lose weight and look a million dollars, to try and get another bloke interested. If they put the effort in when they were married they might have not ended up divorced. :wink:

Married life in a nutshell right there Paul. Funnily enough, I've tried in the past to tell her what she needs to do and its usually met with a 'FFS stop telling me what to do!' type comment.

As for the exercise, with running, I tend to have the opposite, ie feel good at the start and terrible at the end! Having said that, I'm back up to doing 10K distances (albeit slowly) so things are progressing.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Married life in a nutshell right there Paul. Funnily enough, I've tried in the past to tell her what she needs to do and its usually met with a 'FFS stop telling me what to do!' type comment.

As for the exercise, with running, I tend to have the opposite, ie feel good at the start and terrible at the end! Having said that, I'm back up to doing 10K distances (albeit slowly) so things are progressing.

The number of times I've told the missus what she needs to do and I get the same sort of response as you, then you stop saying it as it causes an argument.

If they are paying to go to a gym though and the instructor says exactly what you've been telling them for the last 6 months, then it's gospel. :wink:

The number of times I've told the missus what she needs to do and I get the same sort of response as you, then you stop saying it as it causes an argument.

If they are paying to go to a gym though and the instructor says exactly what you've been telling them for the last 6 months, then it's gospel. :wink:

Women eh? They're mad...

• 2 weeks later...

Here are really nice and most informative post. I am totally agree with you all. According to me it is true that if you want to stay healthy you must have to do exercise. Now the question is that which kind of exercise is most effective. So, the answer is very simple that swimming and cycling is the best for this purpose. But not the end. More other exercise is also effective for many purpose.

Bloom Beauty Boutique

33 Hollywell Road Biggera Waters QLD 4216 Australia

Phone : +61 7 5563 9900

bloombeautyboutique.com.au

Bloom Beauty Boutique where you can evolve and bloom with confidence. Our expert team of therapists will provide you with a professional experience leaving you feeling nourished and pampered.

herbal aktiv peel gold coast

Edited by Jolia

Same here. I try to swim every 2 or 3 days - great for getting the endorphins pumping!

Thanks for the links everyone...I've never thought of online resources for swimming.

Exactly, even I also have never knew about online resources for swimming, but its great. I also started learning swimming around 1 month back and my really loving my swimming classes and think it really helps me in losing my belly fat. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Had a bout of tonsillitis a few weeks ago which laid me off for a few days and set the swimming back too. I have been gradually working it back to where I was before. This morning I did 50 laps, next time 60.

Got a sore big toe which means I can't run ATM.

UWA is just down the road from where I work. I go to their pool pretty often at lunchtime, it's $3.50/swim but if you buy a card with 20 swims on $3.00. It's only a 25m pool but very clean, warm water, open all winter and laned off from fast to V slow.

Often go to the beach at Cottesloe at lunchtime in the summer for a quick swim and run there. It's only 10 mins away.

Hi Paul, can anyone use the pool? And is it easy to get to? I'm in East Perth and don't always have the use of a car.

Hi Paul, can anyone use the pool? And is it easy to get to? I'm in East Perth and don't always have the use of a car.

Yep, open to the public. There is free parking on the road near the pool but if you park in any of the WA car parking I think it's 30c an hour.

Here's a link to the UWA pool website. It's not too busy at lunchtimes and is a nice temperature all year round.

http://www.sport.uwa.edu.au/facilities/aquatic_centre

Don't know how easy it would be to get to from East Perth, would be a bit of a drag without a car. Wouldn't it be easier to get to Beatty Park? 50m outdoor too as opposed to 25m at UWA.

http://www.vincent.wa.gov.au/beatty/home

Yep, open to the public. There is free parking on the road near the pool but if you park in any of the WA car parking I think it's 30c an hour.

Here's a link to the UWA pool website. It's not too busy at lunchtimes and is a nice temperature all year round.

http://www.sport.uwa.edu.au/facilities/aquatic_centre

Don't know how easy it would be to get to from East Perth, would be a bit of a drag without a car. Wouldn't it be easier to get to Beatty Park? 50m outdoor too as opposed to 25m at UWA.

http://www.vincent.wa.gov.au/beatty/home

Thanks for the links Paul. They both look easy to get to by car, I'll check out the public transport, I need a heated pool!

Thanks for the links Paul. They both look easy to get to by car, I'll check out the public transport, I need a heated pool!

All the ones around Perth are heated Lindor. UWA is probably the warmest but Beatty Park, Claremont, Challenge stadium (choice of 50m indoor or 3 x 50m outdoor), bold park, all heated. That's only the ones that you could get to pretty easily from East Perth, there are loads more.

All the ones around Perth are heated Lindor. UWA is probably the warmest but Beatty Park, Claremont, Challenge stadium (choice of 50m indoor or 3 x 50m outdoor), bold park, all heated. That's only the ones that you could get to pretty easily from East Perth, there are loads more.

It seems mad that the pools are heated here when the ones at home are cold! I used to come out of the pool blue and it put me off swimming! Thanks for your help Paul, I'll check them out.

It seems mad that the pools are heated here when the ones at home are cold! I used to come out of the pool blue and it put me off swimming! Thanks for your help Paul, I'll check them out.

The pools at Claremont and Craigie Leisure Centre use geothermic heating, where they dig down until they hit hot rock and then pump water down and the hot rock works as a heat exchanger. Costs a lot to do it first off but saves loads in heating over the years. I think Craigie were the first place to do it as an experiment. A lot of Perth suburbs have hot rock below them and I've heard that it could be utilised in the future for hot water to houses. Just cost a lot in development.

Both Beatty Park and Challenge have had millions spent on them over the last couple of years. They were both closed for about a year while everything was ripped up and replaced. I find it's a great place to take the kids and spend the whole day at a lot of them. Most have free barbies, places to sit in the shade, paddling pools for kids, grassed areas. Bold park is in a really nice setting, older pool and was in danger of closing last year as the land it's on is worth a fortune. The council would love to sell it off for development.

And I don't how to swim. I really tried my best but am not able to learn. And now am confused, what's the main problem behind it. I don't manage time for swimming or I don't want to go for swimming. Can someone help me out to know that how much days will it take to learn swimming. I want to do swimming in the sea (near the beach areas) ?

And I don't how to swim. I really tried my best but am not able to learn. And now am confused, what's the main problem behind it. I don't manage time for swimming or I don't want to go for swimming. Can someone help me out to know that how much days will it take to learn swimming. I want to do swimming in the sea (near the beach areas) ?

Dont worry theres quite a few of us who cant swim. Can you swim a little bit or not at all?

I dont know how many days it will take, i guess that depends on the individual. Harpodom would of been a good person to ask but hes not here at the moment. Maybe you could talk to your local swimming pool?

And I don't how to swim. I really tried my best but am not able to learn. And now am confused, what's the main problem behind it.

You don't say where you live but if you are in Australia there is probably an "Adult Learn to Swim" class near you.

It's just a matter of having a teacher who is experienced with adult learners.