Swimming and fitness

Harpodom

Cheers Alan, that actually sounds quite cool. The Sunday mornings are probably do-able; the Tuesday evenings might be pushing my credit limit a tad with the Mrs, what with kids to put to bed and all that, but I might be able to get the odd pass.

What's the format with the Sunday mornings at Leisurelink?

Sunday mornings: 4 lanes of varying abilities, from those who'll do about 1.5k in an hour to those doing 3k. Rock up at about 10 to 9 in the 25m pool at the far end from the changing rooms, and see our coach Sue Gook - tell her Alan sent you!

You can have 4 free swims as a freebie. After that it's $4 per swim to contribute to lane hire and Sue's costs, on top of the Leisurelink admission.

I'll not be there this Sunday (in Singapore, doing a migration expo), but should be there the week after.

Remember also that this Sunday is Mother's Day, so you might also have to put off attending by a week to retain brownie points!

Best regards.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few of us have entered a team type of bike road race in a couple of weeks. We've not done any team riding before so we went for a 50Km ride yesterday morning, to get the feeling for what is a decent speed to keep up. Feeling a bit sore today as I hadn't been on the bike for a few weeks.

Went pretty well and only took a couple of hours. Race is not till the 19th so we have a bit of time left to improve. Went to the beach after and played around on a paddle board and went for a short swim with the youngest for an hour. May as well make the most of the weather while it's still good. Sea temperature is still quite pleasant too.

Sunday mornings: 4 lanes of varying abilities, from those who'll do about 1.5k in an hour to those doing 3k. Rock up at about 10 to 9 in the 25m pool at the far end from the changing rooms, and see our coach Sue Gook - tell her Alan sent you!

You can have 4 free swims as a freebie. After that it's $4 per swim to contribute to lane hire and Sue's costs, on top of the Leisurelink admission.

I'll not be there this Sunday (in Singapore, doing a migration expo), but should be there the week after.

Remember also that this Sunday is Mother's Day, so you might also have to put off attending by a week to retain brownie points!

Best regards.

Having never swum more than 1K in one go (will attempt 50 laps tomorrow), another week of practice sounds like a good idea!

Having never swum more than 1K in one go (will attempt 50 laps tomorrow), another week of practice sounds like a good idea!

For reference, it's not all swum in one go - we usually do a warm up of between 400m to 800m (depending on which lane you're in).

Then a main set, followed by a cool down.

Various drills - warm up's often with fins, so probably worth heading to Rebel Sports to buy a pair - shorter ones are better.

We also use pull buoys and hand paddles - but not so essential at an early stage of your training!

I also buy swim gear from http://www.aquashop.com.au

Best regards.

For reference, it's not all swum in one go - we usually do a warm up of between 400m to 800m (depending on which lane you're in).

Then a main set, followed by a cool down.

Various drills - warm up's often with fins, so probably worth heading to Rebel Sports to buy a pair - shorter ones are better.

We also use pull buoys and hand paddles - but not so essential at an early stage of your training!

I also buy swim gear from www.aquashop.com.au

Best regards.

got all that stuff mate except for the pull buoy which I borrow from the pool!

UWA is just down the road from where I work. I go to their pool pretty often at lunchtime, it's $3.50/swim but if you buy a card with 20 swims on $3.00. It's only a 25m pool but very clean, warm water, open all winter and laned off from fast to V slow.

Often go to the beach at Cottesloe at lunchtime in the summer for a quick swim and run there. It's only 10 mins away.

UWA is just down the road from where I work. I go to their pool pretty often at lunchtime, it's $3.50/swim but if you buy a card with 20 swims on $3.00. It's only a 25m pool but very clean, warm water, open all winter and laned off from fast to V slow.

Often go to the beach at Cottesloe at lunchtime in the summer for a quick swim and run there. It's only 10 mins away.

How long is your lunch break Paul?

I can just imagine your colleagues at work:

"Anyone seen Paul today, or indeed this week?"...."I'm pretty sure I saw him at his desk on Tuesday, but he had his swimming cap, goggles and wetsuit on so don't think he was hanging about TBH"

How long is your lunch break Paul?

I can just imagine your colleagues at work:

"Anyone seen Paul today, or indeed this week?"...."I'm pretty sure I saw him at his desk on Tuesday, but he had his swimming cap, goggles and wetsuit on so don't think he was hanging about TBH"

I work at a good place Harpo. Basically my lunch break is as long as I want it to be, as long as the work gets done no-one cares what time you come in and go home and have for lunch. Some of the young software Engineers don't come in till 11:00am. We have a meeting at 10:am on Monday's to see what everyone is up to during the week. Some of them have to make a special effort to get in for it lol.

There are a lot of ex-service people work here and they are all used to PT being part of their work day so there are a lot of people who go out and do stuff. Not generally the software guys though, they are more likely to be sat around eating KFC and talking about gaming on the computer or the latest software algorithm. A few of them think I'm nuts.

Just got back from a run round the river, only about 6Km but we have a swim session tonight so better not go too mad. Good to hear you getting into it, makes you feel better and more positive about everything:cool: I reckon.

Edited by Paul1Perth

Its a wonder you get to spend any time on PIO, what with all that running and swimming you do at work!

I work at a good place Harpo. Basically my lunch break is as long as I want it to be, as long as the work gets done no-one cares what time you come in and go home and have for lunch. Some of the young software Engineers don't come in till 11:00am. We have a meeting at 10:am on Monday's to see what everyone is up to during the week. Some of them have to make a special effort to get in for it lol.

There are a lot of ex-service people work here and they are all used to PT being part of their work day so there are a lot of people who go out and do stuff. Not generally the software guys though, they are more likely to be sat around eating KFC and talking about gaming on the computer or the latest software algorithm. A few of them think I'm nuts.

Just got back from a run round the river, only about 6Km but we have a swim session tonight so better not go too mad. Good to hear you getting into it, makes you feel better and more positive about everything:cool: I reckon.

This morning, 50 continuous laps. Next week I aim for 60. WTF?

Is that in a 50m pool Harpo? Good effort mate. Do you find it makes you feel better all day but tired at night?

I sleep really well when I exercise a lot. Dropping off to sleep last night during Revenge. Not hard to be honest that show gets more unbelievable every week, last night her black step brother turned up. I'm waiting for the musical episode.

We did our swim squad stuff last night mate. We go after work with a bunch of guys from the surf club, all "older" apart from a couple who are still in their 20's. When we get there around 6:00 the pool is packed as squads are on so only 3 lanes for public swimming. We have to just do a warmup session for a while till the squads finish and then do a few times laps and exercises.

It's only stuff we make up ourselves, we don't have a coach or anything. I've been thinking about having lessons for a couple of years as some of the really good swimmers make it look so easy. I've never had a lesson in my life and had never used goggles and breathed properly until I came to live here.

Usually manage to do about 3Km though so not too bad. Going for a swim this lunchtime all being well. Only do about 1Km at lunchtime though.

Had to go to see a couple of the software Engineers just now for something. 10:30 and one had just got in, the one I needed wasn't in yet. Now 11:10 and she just came to see me. How's that for timekeeping and the notion that everyone has to work 24 hrs a day and 24 hours a night in Aus to make ends meet, as some people seem to moan about.

Is that in a 50m pool Harpo? Good effort mate. Do you find it makes you feel better all day but tired at night?

God no! 25m pool so ATM I'm doing one 'long' swim per week, adding 10 laps each week. Considering I really only starting learning to swim properly at the end of Jan, I'm pinching myself that I've swum 1.25K! Yes I do feel more awake/less lethargic in the daytime, but absolutely rooted by about 8.30pm!

Usually manage to do about 3Km though so not too bad. Going for a swim this lunchtime all being well. Only do about 1Km at lunchtime though.

3k? That's a monstrous amount of calories! You must eat tons to maintain your weight.

Had to go to see a couple of the software Engineers just now for something. 10:30 and one had just got in, the one I needed wasn't in yet. Now 11:10 and she just came to see me. How's that for timekeeping and the notion that everyone has to work 24 hrs a day and 24 hours a night in Aus to make ends meet, as some people seem to moan about.

Was she cute though Paul?

God no! 25m pool so ATM I'm doing one 'long' swim per week, adding 10 laps each week. Considering I really only starting learning to swim properly at the end of Jan, I'm pinching myself that I've swum 1.25K! Yes I do feel more awake/less lethargic in the daytime, but absolutely rooted by about 8.30pm!

3k? That's a monstrous amount of calories! You must eat tons to maintain your weight.

Was she cute though Paul?

Yep, eat loads Harpo and my weight doesn't change much at all. Stays around 76Kg. tbh mate 3K isn't a massive effort. My son used to swim at 5:30 3 times a week when he was in the surf club and they would do 5Km every session in 1.5 hrs. That's a pretty standard session for people who want to be half decent. The squad he used to swim with had a couple of swimmers in the Aussie team and they used to do 2 sessions a day. He was more into surf club stuff though so he had to fit in board sessions and ski sessions too when he was old enough. Pity he let it go when he started work, he still loves the sport now though and got quite fired up last year when he got the opportunity to help out over in Queensland with the ironman series.

The software girl is pretty cute Harpo.:wink: I am old enough to be her Grandad though. :cry:

Off for a swim again now Harpo, better make the most of it as we are supposed to be getting a few days of wet, stormy weather, starting later today. Good at the moment though, about 24 degrees.

Edited by Paul1Perth

Yep, eat loads Harpo and my weight doesn't change much at all. Stays around 76Kg. tbh mate 3K isn't a massive effort. My son used to swim at 5:30 3 times a week when he was in the surf club and they would do 5Km every session in 1.5 hrs. That's a pretty standard session for people who want to be half decent. The squad he used to swim with had a couple of swimmers in the Aussie team and they used to do 2 sessions a day. He was more into surf club stuff though so he had to fit in board sessions and ski sessions too when he was old enough. Pity he let it go when he started work, he still loves the sport now though and got quite fired up last year when he got the opportunity to help out over in Queensland with the ironman series.

The software girl is pretty cute Harpo.:wink: I am old enough to be her Grandad though.

Off for a swim again now Harpo, better make the most of it as we are supposed to be getting a few days of wet, stormy weather, starting later today. Good at the moment though, about 24 degrees.

5K in 90 minutes? :cry: (just borrowed your emoticon there). Nothing wrong with being a pervy old man, is there?

5K in 90 minutes? :cry: (just borrowed your emoticon there). Nothing wrong with being a pervy old man, is there?

Try doing some longer ocean swims Harpo, great to get into a rhythm and not have to think about turning. I have a Orca triathlon swim suit which I wore for the Anaconda race last year. That's a 1.9Km ocean swim and wearing the suit makes you go so much faster. My swim time was 35 mins with the suit on, that was after doing a 14K run. There is an open ocean swim series in Perth and the distances range from 1k to 20K, if you fancy the Rottnest swim solo.

I've done a couple of 1.5K and 2K swims and they are very pleasant. It's great having people around you going about the same pace.

The suit was only $98 from wiggle, bargain.

Yeah I intend getting into ocean swimming but not sure if this time of year is great for that? the water is a tad chilly ATM. Do you swim solo when out in the sea? Bit nervous of doing that

Try doing some longer ocean swims Harpo, great to get into a rhythm and not have to think about turning. I have a Orca triathlon swim suit which I wore for the Anaconda race last year. That's a 1.9Km ocean swim and wearing the suit makes you go so much faster. My swim time was 35 mins with the suit on, that was after doing a 14K run. There is an open ocean swim series in Perth and the distances range from 1k to 20K, if you fancy the Rottnest swim solo.

I've done a couple of 1.5K and 2K swims and they are very pleasant. It's great having people around you going about the same pace.

The suit was only $98 from wiggle, bargain.

Yeah I intend getting into ocean swimming but not sure if this time of year is great for that? the water is a tad chilly ATM. Do you swim solo when out in the sea? Bit nervous of doing that

Don't swim solo as much as I used to Harpo. One of my friends got attacked by a white pointer last June during a morning surf ski. Luckily I wasn't with them that morning as I had to take my son to work. Luckily he managed to get on the back of one of the other guys surf skis and get to shore. Took him a long time to get over it but he's back paddling and swimming again now.

The way I'm trying to look at it is it's the only attack at our local beach in over 100 years and it might be another 100 before it happens again. The mind plays tricks on you though when you are a long way from the beach. We used to go out a fairly long way, 400m or so and then swim parallel with the beach, now we stay in a bit closer. Don't know whether it makes much difference tbh. The guy who got killed down at Cottesloe a few years ago was stood up, climbing out over a few rocks and the shark swam under people still swimming behind him and grabbed his leg. Luck of the draw really mate.

Still stand more chance being killed driving there.

There is one guy swims solo every day, no matter what the weather, a long way out and he has a crap stroke too. Does a sort of crawl arm action and butterfly kick. Looks awful and takes him ages to get anywhere. A couple of times people have come up to us on the beach and asked if the guy is in trouble.

I was out once on my surf ski in pretty crappy weather and nearly ran into him. There was no way I would have gone out in that. Blowing a gale and big waves. I watched him when I went in and he carried on swimming for about 30 minutes after I saw him and only covered about 1K, with the wind behind him.

The Ocean here is still warm enough for long swims but the season has finished for the races. Only use the suit for the Anaconda down in Augusta, where it is a bit more chilly, but sometimes wear paddling shorts to swim in the winter. Surprising how much warmer they make you feel.

Sounds like it would be sensible to swim in groups then, like Alan's Bouroughcoutas. Probably for the best, I can get fitter before November

Don't swim solo as much as I used to Harpo. One of my friends got attacked by a white pointer last June during a morning surf ski. Luckily I wasn't with them that morning as I had to take my son to work. Luckily he managed to get on the back of one of the other guys surf skis and get to shore. Took him a long time to get over it but he's back paddling and swimming again now.

The way I'm trying to look at it is it's the only attack at our local beach in over 100 years and it might be another 100 before it happens again. The mind plays tricks on you though when you are a long way from the beach. We used to go out a fairly long way, 400m or so and then swim parallel with the beach, now we stay in a bit closer. Don't know whether it makes much difference tbh. The guy who got killed down at Cottesloe a few years ago was stood up, climbing out over a few rocks and the shark swam under people still swimming behind him and grabbed his leg. Luck of the draw really mate.

Still stand more chance being killed driving there.

There is one guy swims solo every day, no matter what the weather, a long way out and he has a crap stroke too. Does a sort of crawl arm action and butterfly kick. Looks awful and takes him ages to get anywhere. A couple of times people have come up to us on the beach and asked if the guy is in trouble.

I was out once on my surf ski in pretty crappy weather and nearly ran into him. There was no way I would have gone out in that. Blowing a gale and big waves. I watched him when I went in and he carried on swimming for about 30 minutes after I saw him and only covered about 1K, with the wind behind him.

The Ocean here is still warm enough for long swims but the season has finished for the races. Only use the suit for the Anaconda down in Augusta, where it is a bit more chilly, but sometimes wear paddling shorts to swim in the winter. Surprising how much warmer they make you feel.

Sounds like it would be sensible to swim in groups then, like Alan's Bouroughcoutas. Probably for the best, I can get fitter before November

Well the guy who swims every day is still at it but I've never heard of anyone being attacked in the Rottnest swim so you might be right. For some reason it always feels safer when swimming with others. probably isn't though.:cool:

Morning swim before work: 60 laps (1.5K) non stop. Strange thing was the first 10 were by far the hardest, the last 10 the easiest.

Unfortunately I forgot me towel so had to dry meself with me shorts!

Always the same with exercise Harpo. One of the coaches at the surf club used to have the kids "warming up" for half an hour before doing any hard sets. We used to go for a board session at 5:30am and the first half hour would be running to warm up.

I usually get in the pool and try and do a 400m warm up and concentrate on my stroke and breathing, stretching out on each stroke and not trying to swim fast too soon. When we get into the harder part of the session it's a lot easier and breathing/stroke hangs together much better.

Did you used to play soccer and do other sports? Warming up for anything is very important. I find the same with tri's, bike riding, running. First 10 mins is the worst, then you get in a rhythm.

Stick with it mate, sounds like you are doing well. I'm proud of my missus at the moment. She's joined another gym and started another diet, went at 6:00am this morning as I was getting up for work. Already lost a few kilos.

Strange what motivates women though. She's been talking about needing to lose weight and get fitter for ages. I've told her exactly what she needs to do but now we have to go back to the UK in August for a wedding and she knows a few people will be there that we both know, so now she's making an effort.

I've seen quite a few who get divorced and within a couple of months lose weight and look a million dollars, to try and get another bloke interested. If they put the effort in when they were married they might have not ended up divorced. :wink: