The UK, what do you like best about living here?

Guest chris955

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The people, long summer nights, decent clothes, Europe, pub gardens without getting burnt to bits or sweating you •••••••s off. Ordering food to your door and getting change out of £20,history,national trust days out. And most of all the cafe

Guest chris955
Oh fabulous! There is something like that near where I live. I've only seen it from a great distance soaring up very high, and never on a clear day when I can get a good look. They are fabulous. I remember on holiday in Florida the big birds of prey (eagles or buzzards?) would soar on the thermals, and I'd watch them whilst lying on a airbed in the pool. Nature is wonderful.

Did you see any of the huge nests the Eagles in Florida would build on the power poles ?

Oh fabulous! There is something like that near where I live. I've only seen it from a great distance soaring up very high, and never on a clear day when I can get a good look. They are fabulous. I remember on holiday in Florida the big birds of prey (eagles or buzzards?) would soar on the thermals, and I'd watch them whilst lying on a airbed in the pool. Nature is wonderful.

Yeah we saw some birds of prey in Florida too, they used to be around the sides of the road, probably looking for roadkill. Was cool to see. We have a few birds of prey centres around here so i've got to handle a few. Just the usual - barn owls, a few falcons and this massive one but i've forgot the type. It was big and scary looking anyway lol.

Ant & Dec, Dame Judy Dench, BBC, The Beatles, Daffs, Bonfire night, Royals, Pomp and Circumstance, Parky, Meadows, Motorway network, Centre parcs, Quality Campsites, Churches, Villages, Cities, Venues, Comedy, Fetes, Days out, Christmas, M&S, Peppa Pig, Supermarkets, Cheap Flights, Museums, Rain, Conkers, Peter Kay, Sunday roast, Late summer nights, Bluebells, Bumble bees, Argos, Free dental and pescriptions for kids, Strawberry fields, cream teas, Morris Dancers, Choice of theme parks, Robins, Snow, West End, Countryside, Small primary schools, School meals, humour, wit, Oxo, Oxford Cambridge boat race, Wimbledon..............................................Feeling like part of the real world, having an interest in what's going on out there.

agree with everything connie says but she missed cheapness of everything and steak puddings yum put that in the pipe wendeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Guest chris955
No - I was there Nov - maybe it was the wrong time of year. I didn't see any alligators either which was a shame.

We drove down Alligator Alley which is basically the main road down through The Everglades, we saw dozens of Alligators and even climbed through the alligator fence to get close LOL.

Its taken me a few years in Oz and a trip back to appreciate the UK and being at 'home'in the UK. I really 'get' that feeling of belonging that you can never achieve in any country other than your homeland imo. Warts and all its a very decent lifestyle if you choose your areas wisely. It is what it is and time apart truly does make the heart grow fonder. That said I still prefer Australia at this point in time. Hope you dont mind me adding to the thread ;)

I love the sincerity of people. Genuine to the core! If they are open and friendly they are genuinely open and friendly.

Same applies if they are ***** though...

If ever an aussie was nice to me they where usually after something.

Edited by noworriesmate
removed sweary word

We drove down Alligator Alley which is basically the main road down through The Everglades, we saw dozens of Alligators and even climbed through the alligator fence to get close LOL.

Off topic, sorry! We spent a month touring Florida in December/January 2004/5 and did that road 3 times and didn't see a single alligator!! We were gutted!!

Guest chris955
Off topic, sorry! We spent a month touring Florida in December/January 2004/5 and did that road 3 times and didn't see a single alligator!! We were gutted!!

We did it only twice and saw conservatively 25 to 30. It was one of those situations where after about 15 it was 'there's another one ' :)

Driving down Horn Lane in Sussex, leafy country lane, I glanced to the right, and there is a fighter jet sitting in a field. I love the eccentricity. For no apparent reason, it is just sitting there. I checked it on google maps, and you can just make out the tail. Seems there is a company there called Haywards and Green Aviation. I love the weirdness of this country.

And nothing attacked you?

Edited by noworriesmate
removed personal comment

Guest Guest 47403

One of the things I like about currently living in the UK is that we have France and in particular the South of France within driving distance allows us to have a nice family holiday away each year in nice sunny weather something the UK can't offer unfortunately.

Whenever i go back to the UK on holiday i feel at home, i step off the plane and with a tear, say to myself "i'm here" i don't even think about Australia while i am there.I love everything about it. Australia has been good to me i had a job i loved, a job i probably would never have had in the UK but my heart is still in England and i have been here nearly 40 years.

I love Australia, I grew up there but I just feel more at home here.

There are so many great things about this country and I think often you need to leave to fully appreciate it.

Dont forget this is for people actually living here or planning a return.

Because ......for better or worse ......richer or poorer ....its HOME .......sometimes thats hard , and sometimes , like the last 7 days , at Croyde Bay , Devon ......its easy .....

I like the fact that I feel safe, We can leave our cars unlocked outside all the time with no fear of them being stolen, we have loads of things out the back at the moment with me doing renovations and never have to worry about anything going missing.

Not sure I agree with this. Live in reasonably nice are in Scotland but wouldn't trust the local punters not to nick my car...?!

Guest chris955
Not sure I agree with this. Live in reasonably nice are in Scotland but wouldn't trust the local punters not to nick my car...?!

You dont have to agree, it is true for us. Lets not turn it into a thread about things that happen everywhere in the world.

Guest chris955
You shouldnt of said that lol he'll just say scotland is dodgy compared to his village

Only joking HB ;)

Well that just goes without saying.

hope it's ok for me to reply as one day I will return........ here goes, for the few months we lived back in the uk last year, we settled close to the Cotswold. Beautiful country side, sound of nature, smell of the grass, sound of the river avon, meeting lots of ramblers who called in for a cuppa at my relatives popular establishment (on the river avon)strolls along the canals, the great river raft race, duck race, traditional celebrations, historical celebrations (Alcester) bonfire nite, watching the fire works eating toffee apple in the rain, the village lit up with Christmas lights, local community spirit, regular trips to broadway for coffee, honeybourne for good local pub grub, the meadow to just sit and watch families , people, happy with their lot. list goes on.........overall the diversity, friendliness, and of course family :-) good thread chris